ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cooper s works vs 182/172

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Has anyone had a play with a cooper s works i was having a bit of a disagreement with someone about this today?

Yup, when i had my cup, used to go up against my mates Cooper S works. Nothing in it from 0-80, or around corners, but after that speed the cooper s seems to hit a wall, used to gain on him all the time. Great cars, but almost 2x the price for what i paid for my 172 cup!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Quote: Originally posted by Max172cup on 06 August 2005

Yup, when i had my cup, used to go up against my mates Cooper S works. Nothing in it from 0-80, or around corners, but after that speed the cooper s seems to hit a wall, used to gain on him all the time. Great cars, but almost 2x the price for what i paid for my 172 cup!
This was what i was argueing about i said the 182 has more spec and cheaper you could spend a couple of grand on a 172/182 engine and still have a couple of grand to spare

Clio Cup

Problably not much in it. 210bhp but i think it weighs 100kg more.

The works in this months issue of test drive looks like a beast of a car. Plus 8 years free servicing for a few hundred quid you cant go wrong.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

My mate works for bmw now and thinks bmw are the best things going,i think there overpriced overated and most of them not very quick,isnt the cooper s works about 20 grand

It should be for £22k for the Cooper S works my mate bought, and that wasnt even new!! had 800 miles on the clock, this was back in 2002 when they were hard to get hold of though.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

I love going for a drive in my mums mini and its just a plain old cooper.

No rattles, smooth ride and quality interior make up for the lack of grunt.

Quote: Originally posted by leeds_182 on 06 August 2005
I love going for a drive in my mums mini and its just a plain old cooper.No rattles, smooth ride and quality interior make up for the lack of grunt.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">

My mate has had more troubles with his S Works than i had with my cup, in the same period of time. Plus his has developed some nice rattles, plus the glove box keeps popping open over big bumps!

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 06 August 2005

18k!??? That plus 20+ for the Cooper S works, you might as well buy an FQ 340!

Yep, agreed

And driven one :D (sorry I like to add it to every mention i hear fo the evo)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

You could buy a nice TVR cerbera for less than 20 grand i think i would rather drive a tvr round than a mini and still have the 17grand to spare

VRS

my bro in law got a p reg cerbera for 18k and that had been tinkered wiv and was giving out bout 450bhp! i think i know wat id sooner av!

plus imo minis are just too cute to be taken serioiusly! round me area every third car is a cooper or cooper s and i rekon even the hardest bloke looks like a hairdresser when driving 1

Clio Cup

Front wheel drive against trick 4 wheel drive. I bet even that 300bhp mini will struggle to keep up with the latest lancer evolution.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

as said, id sooner have an evo..but minis are well made etc and would be a nice drive with no rattles etc!class above the clio but u have to bloody pay for it!

I used to work for a BMW main dealer, drove loads of minis all i can say on the subject is overpriced dogsh*t. No better built than a Renault. Standard spec is pathetic and all the toys cost a stupid amount. The interior is fisherprice and due to the weight they dont go very fast. Flat sport from 2k round to about 6.5k revs and the only thing i can say thats good about them is they handle fairly well. They also retain value because theres always some mug who will pay over the odds for them.

Suzuki SV650

I had a go against a Mini Cooper S that the guy said had 230bhp, it was pulling away but not by much, probably 1 or maybe 2 car lengths by 60mph, so for something with supposedly 60 more horses it didnt make me think wow..

BMW 120i Sport

I think the Mini build quality is hugely overrated, Ive had a seat in one when my mate considered buying one (it was second hand); definitely felt a hell of a lot more plastic and cheapy than my 182 does.

Clio 197

What annoys me is: People who know nothing about cars, automativally assume that somethings quicker if its more expensive...

I have a friend who goes : "my mates cooper s works will easily thrash your car round a track"..... he drives a diesel A6 - what does he know, lol!

I dont really know much about the Works, but Id love to try-one out.

The works is about the same pace as a 182, the extra power makes up the fact the mini is so lardy. Sadly doesnt change the fact theyre sh*t and the SC whines like f**k.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 08 August 2005

The works is about the same pace as a 182, the extra power makes up the fact the mini is so lardy. Sadly doesnt change the fact theyre sh*t and the SC whines like f**k.
Well said Loony ever since my mates missus has worked at bmw she thinks shes a cut above the rest and she only works on the parts counter,I said id much rather keep my 172 the money i have spent on suspension & engine bits etc will be no where near the cost of one of those heaps

Tell her from an ex partsman at a main BMW dealer shes talking sh*t, lol. Bet she doesnt even drive the things. I managed to wangle a drive in hell of alot of cars in the 6 years i was there.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 08 August 2005

Tell her from an ex partsman at a main BMW dealer shes talking sh*t, lol. Bet she doesnt even drive the things. I managed to wangle a drive in hell of alot of cars in the 6 years i was there.
I dont think she has been in a cooper s works,we was at a party on saturday and thats all i heard all night,and i said there no quicker than a 182 and she said i think your on about the cooper s and i said no im on about any of them and a 182 is 8-9 grand cheaper

[Edited by matty w on 08 August 2005 at 9:13am]

Ziel Nurburgring

Why do these threads keep popping up? Can we have a 182 Vs next to the PC polishing section on the new forum? ;)

I think a walliams would skin both of them

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 08 August 2005
Why do these threads keep popping up? Can we have a 182 Vs next to the PC polishing section on the new forum? ;)I think a walliams would skin both of them

The fella off little Britain? David Walliams? Im a lady I tell you, a lady.

Ziel Nurburgring

Lol, wIlliams is such a common name and makes the car sound welsh (wet and crap. No offence Tom)

But I am a lady, I do not have testiclés!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Welsh?

Ive killed many a MCS(w) on my exact replica of my area that i have constructed.

(but with no laws)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I just think at the end of the day, the MCSW is far too over-priced for what it actually is. Youd have to be a proper badge-snob to pay full whack for one - but a badge-snob for what? A cast-off BMW parts bin?

I used to look in bemusement at people who had a Mini One. The more I see them, the more I appreciate why they bought that car (hopefully 2nd hand and after a bit depreciation). If they want the cutesy look and feel of a Mini, then fine. The Cooper S of the wifes was no match at all for my 182 when it arrived and I would hardly call the Mini a hot hatch. Performance and Mini, just dont gel, imo....

D.

Why do these threads keep popping up? Can we have a 182 Vs next to the PC polishing section on the new forum? ;)

along side the moaning b**ch section :p

don't

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 08 August 2005

along side the moaning b**ch section :p
At last a section just for me

A Head to Head forum?

Williams vs 182?

My dad and your dad?

A dolphin and a shark?

Superman and Batman?

Feel free to nominate so more grudge matches.

Back on topic - If I had 20k I wouldnt spend it on a MCSW, it would be on a CTR and a Jackson.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Williams are slow (campared with todyas offerings)..... thats why there are all modded so to keep up with the 172/182s......

Dont see any std Williams bods saying there cars faster than the true Cliosport cars...

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

New cars such as the 172/182 etc are more powerful but are a lot heavier and toys like aircon are all draining power,williams with 172 engine would be quicker than standard williams obviously.Its the same with golfs the mk4s & 5s are fat and heavy where as the mk1 was light and nimble,1.8 20vt in a mk1 and youve got yourself a weapon

i have owned a cooper s and a cup. most fun was the mcs. i could only imagine the mcsw would be even better. thought it was a different class but agree about the price. there again, when i sold it, i got nearly all of it back. i think the clios i have owned are a bit cheap inside but great cars overall.