ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couple of minor niggles with my new 172 cup

I finally managed to get my 172 cup on the road today, and overall I am very pleased by the way it drives.
I do however have a couple of minor niggle.
The main one is that occasionally as I start the engine the "Toxic fume" monitoring light comes on. I have read the code with a generic reader and all it comes back as is N/A 01/01 which I assume means it doesn't know what it is. I have reset the light and it never comes on whilst driving, only when starting.

Also when starting I have a slight screech from the Aux belt. The belt also screeches a bit on full steering lock. The belt is pretty new.
The car also seems to be a bit twitchy under hard acceleration, and requires fair bit of steering correction either way to keep it straight. Is that normal?

Other than that I am very happy overally. :grin:

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
You can nip the aux belt up yourself, they do need to be a little tighter than other cars.

Twitchy under hard acceleration could be one of many things, mostly bush / tie rod related.

Toxic fume - never seen or heard that one!

It is the light which looks like the outline of the engine on the bottom right. When on it doesn't affect the way the car drives.

With regard to the twitchylness under acceleration. the roads around here are shockingly bad. I am wondering if that is anything to do with it?
Also I ahve just come from a Rear wheel drive car (BMW) so am not used to front wheel drive quirks.

How easy is it to nip up the aux belt? I can't even see a tensioner on there. :smile:

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
clio-alternator_zpsvzkyoxjr.jpg

Loosen 1 & 2 just slightly.
Tighten 3 to tension the belt.
Tighten 1 & 2 back up.
Loosen 3 just a little to take the tension off it.

Thanks for that I see now. :) The belt does seem pretty tight already so I will onlt just tweak it slightly. I don't want to overdo it. :)

BG Clio 182
Thanks for that I see now. :) The belt does seem pretty tight already so I will onlt just tweak it slightly. I don't want to overdo it. :)
If you boot a clio through first and second it will torque steer a lot and will take some correctional input, even in a straight line. This is the weight of the car really and the power it has. A Megane doesn't really do it the same just because it's heavier really.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Changes in geometry under power. Squishy rubber mounts that give a nice ride don't help. Hence why Ford and Renault started farting around with more complex front hubs. You'll get used to it or if it is really bad then investigate tired bushes. Wheel hop from a standing start when you give it the beans can be a sign of tired wishbone bushes. A lot of alternator belts seems to only need 5mm of deflection in the longest run these days which is really tight. I'd keep going to it stops squeaking or considering they are so cheap get another one and make sure the pulleys are clean as the old belt may have got a little shiney from slipping and getting a little hot. Had a 106 diesel that had that problem.

Bare in mind Clio sports are about fun and never will be the ultimate driving machine.