ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couple of Problems (172 cup)

172 cup
The first is a slight whine, more noticable on idle and when taking off, it doesn't seem to get any louder at higher revs over say 3500rpm. Could this be one of the belts?

Secondly - when lights are on at night and i dab the brakes, the fog light dashboard light flickers.

Any help would be appreciated :)

First problem sounds like mine which is a belt though wouldn't like to say for sure which one think the common failure seems to be the auxiliary belt lower idler.

The second problem is likely to be caused by corrosion on the rear light bulb holder. Take the connector out the back off the light and you will probably see that the pins have corroded just need a clean up though sometimes aswell trying to get new bulb holders and connectors.

ITB'd MK1
ah, in that case it DOES have the lower idler. In which case you need it looking at as soon as possible really, if that fails it could chew up the aux belt and do a lot of damage to the engine

ITB'd MK1
idler on it's own is ~£46. Depending on when other work has been done or is due, a new aux belt and tensioner kit would probably be the most sensible option while it's apart

172 cup
Yeah sure, tbh i would probably get the whole thing changed. The aux isn't due just yet, but would need to be done within the next 12 months anyway. Do you have a price for the belt and kit? Thanks

Sorry with all the questions.

172 cup
Hi, well I have had a new aux belt and tensioner kit fitted and the whining noise is still there. Would a faulty alternator cause this?

Thanks

172 ph1
when lights are on at night and i dab the brakes, the fog light dashboard light flickers.

Any help would be appreciated :)

I have the same problem! I don't know what could cause this.

Maybe a car irq on tail lights? (lol computer geek talking)

Clio 172mk2
no its the rear cluster conection, water gets in and shorts the circuit, unplug it clean it up with wd40,