ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cr*p oil in my car.

Remapped derv Golf

My uncle has just changed the oil in my cup for the first time. Ive had it a year so I thought change the running in oil. Now I see I should have had it done at 1000miles!

The oil in the car was rubbish quality. No way it was the right oil for the car - it was like water!

Funny really because Ive never really enjoyed pushing my cup at high revs. Thought the engine really always sound like it was been hurt or damaged. Now its much better - so soft and smooth.

Has anyone else noticed that with their first oil?

I cant vouch for the quality but it wont be "running in oil", not with the first scheduled service at 12000 mies.

Remapped derv Golf

I know that but it was crap oil.

My uncle knows his stuff being a touring car driver, racing engineer and mechnic for over 35 years.

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 03 December 2004

My uncle has just changed the oil in my cup for the first time. Ive had it a year so I thought change the running in oil. Now I see I should have had it done at 1000miles!
The oil doesnt need to be changed at 1k.

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 03 December 2004

It doesnt need to be but I think it should be

thinking of changing my oil at 1K, get all the sh!t out.

Should i put 5W40 fully synth in or some thing else to run her in in?

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 03 December 2004

True it doesnt but I cant hurt - especially if you know someone who does it for free. less the price of a filter from reno and some good oil.
There’s no way that sh1tty oil would have lasted until November 2005 mate. It was complete cack cheap muck!
I knew it didnt need changing but for a car that’s only done 3k the oil was finished!
It had all the viscosity of black coffee and was really black. Ive just driven the car this morning - giving it a blast and
the difference is amazing!
Before is sounded tappety like an old 205 but now its smooth like a modern car sound be.

Remapped derv Golf

Yes I did. Only thing is I dont really wanna involve Renault incase they said Ive invaidated the warrenty having my uncle change it.

No way was I gonna pay £60+ for them to do it and put Halfords own in. I know they are meant to put the good stuff in but I dont trust my local dealers.

It would also be worth buying oil in "bulk" from the supplier mentioned below?................a lot of guys on the forum are now buying through Debz.

Call 01977 603363 and ask for Debra and mention ClioSport..............24lts of Elf Excellium LDX 5W40 fully synthetic £64.01 delivered.

You would save £50 everytime you have the car serviced and after the first oil change the bulk buy is more or less paid for so its save save save all the way after that eh and if you wanted you could even have the oil changed more often..........thats what Ill be doing.........just a thought;)

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 04 December 2004 at 12:16pm]

This is the thing... even if you buy it, you still have to hand it to the Renault people to sort it... and it seems that no one trusts them. I love my 182 but the Renault service horror stories are beginning to put me off big time.:confused:

Well I can only say that my local Reno dealer is fine........no problems and I would recomend them to anyone...............but youd have to live in Dundee in Scotland:cool:

Also I think most Reno dealers have viewing areas where you could stand and watch them change the oil...........thats if you didnt trust them to put in what you gave them:eek:

Cheers Stu

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

i went to renault to get some oil for my 182 yesterday and they told me it was 10W-40 that went in my car anyway after about 15mins trying to see if they were correct or me they said i was right and it should be 5W-40 and it was £30 a litre:eek: and they hadnt got any.

i have been to GSF today and got some total quartz future 9000 5W-40 for £17 for 5 litres:D (also is this oil any good)

when you cars are serviced you should supply your own oil because they will stick the wrong grade in

mark

Remapped derv Golf

I only serviced my VTR with citroen until the warrenty ran out. After that I got my uncle to do all the work that was required. Cant be bothered with main dealer service history! It costs a fortune and doesnt matter when you sell the car because the little amount you lose without it is knowhere near what it costs to service 3 years running at the main dealer. Someone like my uncle takes much better care of the car to.

Way I see it anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by M.C.. on 04 December 2004

they said i was right and it should be 5W-40 and it was £30 a litre:eek: and they hadnt got any.

i have been to GSF today and got some total quartz future 9000 5W-40 for £17 for 5 litres:D (also is this oil any good)

when you cars are serviced you should supply your own oil because they will stick the wrong grade in

mark

Hi Mark...............£30 a litre so thatll be £150 just for oil then:eek:

The Quartz 9000 is a semi synthetic and it seems to be OK............Ive never used it myself though.

Although £17 for 5lts seems a bit steep when you can get the exact make and type of oil specified by Reno ie Elf Excellium LDX 5W40 from the place listed earlier in this thread for just over £2 per litre:cool:.................and then you know its the correct oil thats going in the car.

It tells you the type of oil to use inside the front cover of the owners manual.

Also it looks like Reno dealers do NOT stock the correct oil:(

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 04 December 2004 at 4:26pm]

Black 182 + Recaros

Agree with Stu.

Its not just the Renault dealers that get it wrong. I stopped using main dealers a long time ago, instead I started using a local garage specializing in sports cars. I found out later that the local garge also used the wrong oil in my car. Couldnt believe it. They should have know better.

After getting the Elf oil (as mentioned above), I re-booked the car yesterday to get it sorted. Obviously I had to pay for it to be done again :mad:.

The car feels so much better now. It really does make a difference.:)

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Chris106gti on 04 December 2004

FFS what sh*t!!!! ITS a NEW engine, with NEW oil!!!!! there is NO sh*t in there!!!!

Just ordered some oil from Debra, top service, should arrive in a weeks time.

She said loads have been ordered through!!

Some top business for her.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

took my total oil back to GSF today and got a refund and have ordered some ELF from Debra :D said she had just got off the phone with you Chris and it has been hectic scince Stu ordered his and put the number on here.

thanks for the number Stu

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 04 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Chris106gti on 04 December 2004

FFS what sh*t!!!! ITS a NEW engine, with NEW oil!!!!! there is NO sh*t in there!!!!
New engines ruin their new oil very quickly, it is worth having it changed early

Loads of fine metal filings from where the new parts have been rubbling together no? Well thats what i seem to be thinking, sure ive read it in a few places.

Street Triple R

yes basically, the oil becomes filled with loads of tiny little metal filings etc, always happens to new engines, thats why its best to change the first oil very early. Like Add has done at 1k-2k

Quote: Originally posted by M.C.. on 06 December 2004

thanks for the number Stu

Thanks M.C. but it was Liam182 who gave me the number and we have just been passing it on because it just makes complete sense.............the savings are big which means you can if you want change your oil more often and still be up on the deal eh:cool:

So cheers Liam;)

Cya Stu

Another thought that has just crossed my mind...............when it comes to selling the car I would leave some of the oil in the car and explain to anyone looking at it that Reno dont always stock the correct oil so you buy your own and give them the number explaining the cost savings..........which are between £40 & £50 and thats net;)

Even if youre trading in to a Reno dealer youd be able to explain the same, they always go for a fully and properly serviced car eh:cool:

Just a thought.

Cya Stu

Skoda Fabia vRS

Total Quartz 9000 is FULLY synthetic, not semi

the Total 7000 range is the semi synthetics

also you can buy oil from the club oil scheme and save yourself a packet, brands like Motul, Silkolene, Fuchs, Mobil, Castrol etc

Ah rite BRUN............the only reason I said it was semi is because on another thread a couple of months ago thats what it was said to be "semi".

Cya Stu

Boz

Arctic 182

Costco sell 4L Chevron (American oil, made by Texaco) Fully Synthetic 5W40 for £11. Meets all Renaults specs and good oil. Ran a 205 1.9 on it for 60K miles and never used oil. Same stuff was put in my 182 at 5K and running very sweet ever since. Must admit the original oil did look piss thin when I changed it.