ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crankshaft sensor

cliosport172
Ive got a 172 w reg so its an oldie! ive had intermittant probs of not wanting to start... it finally died on me and had to get the AA out... he took 20 mins to find out it was the crankshaft sensor.. he removed it and cleaned it and returned it. I then took the car straight to the garage and they had it for 2 days for them to tell me they couldnt find anything wrong with it!
is this a common fault? how long before this will happen again?
any info graciously received!!and y cant the main dealer find the problem!:S

sadly if the problem doesnt occur when its in their hands (and sods law says it wont), then they wont be able to find the problem.

They arent normally too good at investigating things anyway.

S2000
can't see the crank sensor being too expensive anyway tbh so you could just change it anyway. Really straightforward as well.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
My crankshaft sensor was faulty on my 03 1.2 16v dynamique. Same symtom, intermittent starting fault. Will need replacing or you will have to live with it not starting....got a quote from the stealers so you know the damage first.

The crack sensors a common issue and if its been fixed up then Renault won't find the issue.

Just have the new crack sensor fitted £25 for the sensor and the new loom £25 install (you need the new loom with the new sensor) and it will be fine.

172 cup'd extreme
interesting, i've not come across one yet.

4 inductive pickups, or pins on the connector?

Its has 4 inductive pickups the connector still has 2 but im told has a better seal. I sent one to hong kong for a guy off here a few months ago

172 cup'd extreme
There is one each corner of the circle - renault told me it is for an improved pick up signal

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
when did this sensor come out? replaced my 172 tdc sensor about 4 months ago and the new one was just like the old one

172 cup'd extreme
when did this sensor come out? replaced my 172 tdc sensor about 4 months ago and the new one was just like the old one

I got one in november and another one in march for my car.
Part number is 8200647554 for the sensor and 8200673202 for the loom part

CB600FS
Rhys you need a 10mm on a socket ideally, and a little pick/screwdriver to remove the block plug from the sensor. Basically, remove airbox that sits above the bell housing and the block, you can't miss it, it sits right ontop of the flywheel.

Ignition off, remove airbox etc to gain access, remove 2X10mm bolts, unclip sensor. If you get one from renault you'll need a blow torch and a pair of wire strippers.

Where its located, on all clios.
TDC2.jpg

What it looks like
TDC1.jpg

Not my pics.

2002 172
thanks for the info, brought a 2002 172 on Saturday and it would intermitantlyly start, taken the sensor out and rubbed a couple time on wet and dry to get the shine back now cars starts first time.:)

Clio
My Misses has got an 03 plate 1.2 16v clio. She has been having intermittent problems with ignition, sometimes the car won't start, sometimes it will. On all occasions, the starter motor ticks over, but there is no ignition. The imobilzer light goes out, so its not that. Recently I had to call the AA who quickly diagnosed the TDC sensor. A Renault garage sold and fitted the new type (with new loom) and this solved the problem, until now. This repair was done less than a month ago, and the ignition problems have resurfaced. The garage advised me that the problem cannot be the sensor. They said that the way to test this was to jump start the car. If the car would not start, it was not the sensor at fault. If it did start, then the sensor was at fault. Well, the car started so it was the sensor. Is this a common problem with Clios or is this fault as a result of another problem with the car? The part and installation came to £80, methinks I was ripped off.

Is this a common problem with Clios or is this fault as a result of another problem with the car? The part and installation came to £80, methinks I was ripped off.

Yep the sensor not that good the new one is very good though.

The sensor is £25 the new bit of wiring loom is £25 then there a bit of fitment cost so £80 all in ins't a bad price to pay by any means at a dealership.

It should be covered under warently though if you still have one.

Just check the sensors not damaged etc also get the battery checked

172 MKII FF
I cleaned my TDC sensor yesterday because mines sometimes won't start on the first turn of the key. But today, the same problems occur. Would it be worth replacing the sensor? Do I have to buy the new loom or can the existing one be used?

CB600FS
I cleaned my TDC sensor yesterday because mines sometimes won't start on the first turn of the key. But today, the same problems occur. Would it be worth replacing the sensor? Do I have to buy the new loom or can the existing one be used?

Matt if your buying from Renault, you'll have to buy the new style TDC sensor which you cannot use with the old loom so you'd have to buy that aswell, still around £20 though. Put one on it not worth cleaning it really for the price.

172 MKII FF

Matt if your buying from Renault, you'll have to buy the new style TDC sensor which you cannot use with the old loom so you'd have to buy that aswell, still around £20 though. Put one on it not worth cleaning it really for the price.

Would this solve my problem? Or are there other things I could check before shelling out? Also, where do the loom clip to?

CB600FS
Can't diagnose for certain over the internet.. Get it on a CLIP diagnostic machine to be certain but more than likely it'll cure it.

The TDC sensor sits directly ontop of the gearbox on the bellhousing do a search on here I've posted some pics up before in a few threads.

Polo GTi
Change it, I did fixed the problem right away, make sure you get the TDC sensor though not the old one, I tried cleaning mine, then a 2nd hand free one, only the new one from renault solved the problem, im no mechanic but only took me about 30 mins in total and half of that was spent trying to wrestle with the air box

Renault Clio Sport
Hi do you no what coulor cables you connect on new loom to old wiring? And new sensor doesn't seem to fit in place of old one ? Cheers