ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crash switch

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
My dad and I were working on my car when my silly dad decided to press the big red rubber crash switch button!:mad:

In order for my car to start again we had to bridge the connection for the short term.

Please can someone give me a price and part number on a new crash switch for a yr 2000 PH1 172?

Many thanks! :)

www.renparts.co.uk
its an intertia switch, must be faulty as pressing it is how you reset it. To activate it you tap it hard with a screwdriver or crash your car (not recommended)

mk2 ph1
Bit weird as i thought that you press that when you have a big enough impact to cut the fuel off, then the button resets it. So by pressing it you shouldnt actually cause any problems?

Megane Team II F1 R26
No, although to reset you need to press and holdfor a few seconds for it to reset.

When in an accident the fuel supply gets cut, this switch resets that.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
No, although to reset you need to press and holdfor a few seconds for it to reset.

Makes no odds how long you press it for the inertia switch works as it has a ball bearing suspended by a magnet to complete the fuel pump circuit in an accident the bearing drops off the magnet breaking the circuit and pressing the button merely picks the bearing back up with the magnet.

Megane Team II F1 R26

Makes no odds how long you press it for the inertia switch works as it has a ball bearing suspended by a magnet to complete the fuel pump circuit in an accident the bearing drops off the magnet breaking the circuit and pressing the button merely picks the bearing back up with the magnet.

*cough* what he said haha

To be honest the only time i ever used one was back in 96 with my first car and AA told me i had to hold for 10seconds and i would hear a click..... different car though.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Benie is correct!

I took the switch apart and it consists of a ball bearing and magnet. A large knock is required to dislodge the ball bearing breacking the circuit and cutting the fuel out.

On inspection some small clips in side were damaged/snapped which suggests it had been previously tampered with!

I could should leave it like this but its not very safe!

FYI: I did try to reset it but it didn't work, so now need a new one.

:-D

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
Benie is correct!

I took the switch apart and it consists of a ball bearing and magnet. A large knock is required to dislodge the ball bearing breacking the circuit and cutting the fuel out.

On inspection some small clips in side were damaged/snapped which suggests it had been previously tampered with!

nope not when I had it dude.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Benie is correct!

nope not when I had it dude.

Humm the pl0t thickens.... it l00ked like s0me0ne had tampered with it,0h well. She is still runing like a dream ray. Y0u s0ld the 182