ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cro's 5dr 182 now with ITB's :) + video

Cro

Meg'd r27
Indeed mate, big fail or decent success. I'm thinking (hoping) either way I cant lose and it'll be at least 428 gain territory. But a mix of 428 idle and 421 powerband would be nice

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice idea. Does this mean you'll have a slightly longer lift on exhaust? Will require some good mapping

Cro

Meg'd r27
Yeah I think so Jonny, to be honest I havn't heard from anyone as to what might happen so it'll all be guesswork. Theres a phenomenal mapper here that does all the rally and race cars (our version of Matt I guess) and helps me with the mapping because I know him well enough.

Doesn't generally do commercial work, but hopefully he'll work the magic

Evo 5 RS
Lol both Dave :) its the wh*re mix that ditz had fitted to his and stevieh kindly passed my way (cheers mate), it'll be a complete experiment to see how it works 428inlet, 421 exhaust but experiment is all what the car is about really so who knows. I just need to get my hands on a new dephaser to fit with them and in they go

good choice mate

Cro

Meg'd r27
Spotted a big puddle, thought i'd take a photo. Nothing special just iphone, winter wheels off (if the snow stays away) forgot how much better they look

1a86a192.jpg

8a00beb4.gif

182 track, Mk7 ST
Quality pics mate, read the whole thread and think it's awesome and so different :)

Think that's a great idea with the cam choice too, should sound amazing on idle!

Cro

Meg'd r27
Just had this arrive through the door - Cheers Mini-valver :approve:

Probably the only bit that isn't home brewed but as it's a work of art and will tidy up my current breather/ coil pack mount up nicely I don't feel so bad

b74046c5.jpg

Plenty of parts pics, easter should be when I get the change to get all the work done

Cro

Meg'd r27
Ok so with the few parts turning up bit by bit I finally got a chance this weekend to get started on some, finish off others and get a few things fitted. It's going to be easter for the cams as I still need to pick up a dephaser pulley.

So you may remember I posted that I would be using this
88c0b961.jpg

for something nice. Well a few months ago... as per usual my second carbon splitter smashed into smithereens by the hardest bast*rd of a badger ever. I'm pretty sure after I hit it, he got up and gave me the fingers and then dandered off!! So I set about making my own using the carbon kevlar weave. It took ages and a pain in the ass but all going well until my supports flopped on me and put a kink in the weave, still theres no way I could be bothered doing another so I fixed it as best I could and it turned out not too bad

3615f29e.jpg

8708ed5a.jpg

b1c0c272.jpg

Normally it looks like a normal carbon splitter but when the sun hits it theres a really nice blue tinge off it so it'll look really well for that day of sun we get a year :)
8cde99ee.jpg

While I was at it I thought i'd have a go at making a matching exhaust surround for the rear bumper, one of mine melted and cracked off ages ago and there isn't a hope in hell i'd be paying 30 each for them! So I started in the same way as the splitter just layering it up and cutting it down

e04d691d.jpg

but something popped into my head that I hadn't even thought of using before. The classic mini sill trims that I used on my grill to make it look nice and clean might work nicely so started bending it into shape and once fitted it actually looked spot on! Its about the same thickness of the exhaust trim, maybe even slightly bigger and has metal on the inners so wont melt and run off on me

aa0951a1.jpg

3f6aecac.jpg

8839b603.jpg

I'm sure there'll be a few that think its sacrilegious to use it but it saved me a fortune and looks as good... which is what i'm all about :)

Since I was going down the airbox over the itb's route I definitely needed to put the shorter rad in, it physically didnt fit with the huge original rad and fan. I had planned to get a rad from an old ibiza which was very very low (sub 300mm) but long, once I had properly measured it wasn't really a feasible option so went with the polo rad and it fits a treat.

ee38bad9.jpg

While I as at it decided to stick the coolant tank into the old dish washer given that it was completely stinking! No after pics but it can be see slightly cleaner in the engine pics

5188ada9.jpg

Gave the airbox a few coats of lacquer so make it shiny again, after stripping the paint of it there it had faded slightly

51bab0cb.jpg

bbd2281e.jpg

Time to fit the new coilpack/breather plate mount, radiator and airbox... looked awesome but the airbox was catching slightly on the bonnet so it was time to get custom. Had to remove a few bits of the inner skin, but not too much.

7f6fa43c.jpg

Removing the bracing skin that was cut from the bonnet I noticed that I had pushed a few dents into the outer skin... hopefully I can just tap them back in but the bonnet is far from pristine anyway so I'm not too bothered

So new breather plate fitted, think this might have been one of my oil leaks as the rubber gasket underneath was starting to perish and had oil on both sides of it so heres hoping this fixes it. It'll need replaced again anyway when the cams go in but the loctite 5910 is doing its job so far!

cd2f358d.jpg

As gutted as I was the Coke Zero bottle that was being used for my oil catch can started to perish so the new no fear resealable can was the weapon of choice

2a717669.jpg

afb0d841.jpg

And with the splitter and everything fitted

29ae72ef.jpg

388e2ed4.jpg

The air filter is just temporary with one sitting about the garage, any ideas for a decent one? There will be 2 cold air feeds running from the fogs up to the filter but havn't got them yet

TrackCar & F30 330d
Looks epic mate. I really wanted that bit that goes on top if the engine. I did t know he was selling it! :(

Honestly looks great tho.

Cro

Meg'd r27
:rasp: I missed out on ben's so jumped when dave was selling his! Cheers mate, not up to epic standards yet but i'm just waiting to see what you do then copy it :)

Qashcow
Bottle cans for oil catch cans ftw. Nice bot of work with the splitter. Am I right in saying you have started from scratch with a complete newly made version? Difficult to do? Or just time consuming?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Thanks mate, yeah from new really. I had a 7inch long section to base it on and then just found tubing from b&q that fitted inside that. Used the tube as a mould and wrapped around that placed on glass to create the flat part. Time consuming but not too hard really.

Definitely cheaper than buying one, but wouldn't be cost effective in selling, unless you made some sort of mould and could knock them out quick

Qashcow
Tempted to buy some material and have a go at a few items myself, including a splitter. Will see of they do any colours that will suit mine :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Definately worth having a stab anyway! Think my epoxy resin and hardener was 20, hardest part is getting that at the right mix and heat. I think using a standard kevlar would look ace and is much stronger than carbon I think

350z, Subaru Legacy
The work that's gone into this car is amazing, top notch.

How different is the car with the Carbon airbox on as opposed to a sausage filter?

Best 5 door on here :approve:

Jim

Cro

Meg'd r27
Slightly less noise mate but I need a proper filter so that may very well change. As far as power or anything, I havn't really had a chance but doesn't seem any changes so far.

It's due for mapping over easter again once cams go in so i'll prob power run it before if I get a chance

TrackCar & F30 330d
You know your new fancy alloy bit that goes on top of the engine. was the underside of it just flat or did it have lots of bits milled into it?

Also what did you use to seal it when you put it on?

Cro

Meg'd r27
It was hollowed out inside and then just what looks like somewhere you 'could' put a rubber ring type gasket, want a pic when I take it off again at easter?

I just used some loctite 5910 which after a bit of research is going to do it rightly and i'll use the same on the rocker cover to reseal it. No leaks so far and I used very little. Just chucked the old gasket away it looked like it'd cause more hassle than good

TrackCar & F30 330d
Yeah if you could get a pictue of the inside that would be great. I might get one made as I love the look of it.

Titanium Clio 182
Just had a read through that there man. Looks well! Plenty of man hours must have went into it! As for the filter side of things mate, would you not be better going for something Foam?! Im unsure on how decent RamAir is, but not overly pricey?! Any other plans in the pipeline then after the cams and mapping?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Foam filter arrived yesterday evening mate, just waiting on a coupler and it'll be on in time for mapping. The green one was just sitting about the house as a stop gap.

As for plans after, i've 2 cage designs I need to make my mind up on. One will keep the use of the back doors and it'll be a 4 bucket seat car (expensive cage making and working out if 2 seats will fit in the back ) or I might just do away with everything in the back. Havn't decided yet.

Seats before cage though! Probaly raping next months wage

Plenty of work to do this weekend onwwards so there'll be an update soon enough :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Dunno Jonny, I'll prob stick mine in the back when they arrive for some size-age but they'd come as high as the headrests do fully up I guess.

Titanium Clio 182
Nice one. You must have plenty of time on your hands lol. 4 bucket seats, that will be different. Get some reclining ones in the rear, with a proper 'gangster' lean on. they wouldnt look too high then haha. Where bout are you based Cro? Will need to keep an eye out for the 5dr!

Cro

Meg'd r27
Lol dunno where I make time mate, its just done in little bursts across a loooooong time. I'm from Jordanstown mate, i'll blend in quite well then you'll hear me :rasp:

Cro

Meg'd r27
So started on the job of replacing the cambelt, dephaser pulley, stick in the new cams and re-paint the rocker cover which has started to crack because of the oil leak

So once I started stripping back the covers it became clear that oil was leaking all around the rocker cover, even in places I hadn't noticed previously the whole thing was stinking so i'm not sure if it was leaking out the dephaser seal as well but as I mentioned in another thread the ticking sound went away all of a sudden which was weird but i'll replace it anyway while im here.

Good job I decided to replace it all because im sure the oil on the belts wasnt doing it any good, and was only visible on the underside of it

6e172905.jpg

1c9274bc.jpg

As I went round to check the timing I noticed this had happened :S Good thing Im not re-using these cams then. Must have happened during taking off the pulleys but all the renault tools were locked tight so just shows the forces put on them and why inferior tools do bent easy.

ca54bc39.jpg

Must have been one of those days because no matter what the solenoid just didnt want to come out and in trying to remove it this happened, luckily I have a spare and I have suspicions that it wasn't working properly anyway

d00416eb.jpg

This doesn't look too good either on the inlet cam, what are peoples thoughts on the scores and little bit missing? Should be ok or needs binned?This must have been done by the engines previous owner as I've never noticed but it ran absolutely fine so i'm not too worried about re-using.

656e6d9f.jpg

Heres me being all nice, neat :) and anal. All the bolts in the right order for replacement

e67a7c00.jpg

This if for Chrispy, you can see how the underside is made up. If you need any other pics or dimensions let me know

70e3446e.jpg

What do people think about the scores and little nick?