ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cro's 5dr 182 now with ITB's :) + video

tbh it looks horrible, you might get away with sanding it down with some fine grit paper but it could do with being machined.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Filling it wouldnt be much of a problem though Jonny so it'd stop any leaks I think i'll probably build it all back up and fill that little bit with some sealant to make it level.
The car made good power and never been much of an issue so I'd have been non the wiser had I not changed the cams

The whole rocker seal was leaking because there were very few non oil stained parts around the block.

Evo 5 RS
I reckon that's gonna cause a leak again, eventually..but I doubt it'll cause too much of a problem where it is? I'd get it machined personally though mate, if you can whilst it's apart :/

Cro

Meg'd r27
Hmm, true while its apart it probably makes sense. I might take it into work and crack it in the tech departments cnc machine then

Golf GTD Mk7
It looks a bit deep for skimming no? Sealant should work i'd imagine. god knows how that's happened though :S

Cro

Meg'd r27
Ok so off the head came to have a bit of work to smooth out the scratches so it's all hunky dory now :)

While that was going on the rocker was re-painted to make it look nice again and the oil leak from before had started to crack the last finish so prepped, painted and into my makeshift oven to bake. I probably could have stuck it in the real oven but the other half would have kicked my ass if she found out

8db71269.jpg

fa5b6da8.jpg

a5f303ae.jpg

Back together it goes with the new cams, new dephaser pulley, belts, tensioner and pulleys. Replaced the dephaser solenoid I managed to break trying to remove the last one and a fresh set of plugs before it goes to get the cams mapped.

ff8bb83c.jpg

Got hold of a pipercross filter, 100mm diameter x 150mm x 200mm from tweeks rated to 340bhp so should flow enough air I hope. Great service from them and thanks for John for sorting out next day delivery and a great price. Engine bay needs a clean and the car is due for a proper cleaning session over the next couple of days for a show on Monday. Hopefully someone there will take some nice shots.

0740261e.jpg

While the bodies were off I painted the backplate from white to black to match and not look as grubby, and replaced the coil springs on the butterflies with ones that were slightly stiffer. Pedal felt a tad soft before and now its excellent and the revs come back to idle very quick now. I think the previous ones weren't closing them properly and causing a bit of a higher idle sometimes

It'll be getting mapped on Tuesday so I'll let everyone know what the figures come out like. :)

There'll be some cold air feeds coming from the fogs to the vicinity of the new filter when I get the next chance to find some decent tubing.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Cheers bomber, some b-spec seat mounts coming up soon hopefully!

Had a friend of mine take some pics of the car today before I start changing too many things and regret not having anything decent to remember how it was

So here's a few from today

_MG_7302.jpg

_MG_7308.jpg

_MG_7316.jpg

_MG_7317.jpg

_MG_7326.jpg

_MG_7328.jpg

_MG_7332.jpg

_MG_7334.jpg

_MG_7340.jpg

_MG_7342.jpg

_MG_7353.jpg

_MG_7339.jpg

_MG_7310.jpg

_MG_7309.jpg

:)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Physically i'm sure I could have made them fit somehow, didn't want to though Danny. I've grown to love them but its always a contentious point on the car, some love it with me some hate it

Cheers though :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Dunno, it'll be mapped again tomorrow night for the new cams so i'll stick the figures up then :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
My tps was freaking out at low throttle so couldn't map it, its going in on Monday night so i'll update from the dyno :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Yeah changed and all Jonny, just for another new honda one for a cbr1100 bike so should be grand now. I might start to think about making a spacer/adapter that will take other sensors.

Thought I had got lucky when I saw all honda cars looked and fitted the exact same.... but their butterflies turn the opposite way DOH! So got lucky with this one, not easy to find as they come 'attached' to a throttle body, £1500 honda wanted :eek:

New seats should be here on Monday too :approve:

Thats ok Ali, its not everyones cup of tea. Still love you

Cro

Meg'd r27
Ok good news is it made 209 with the airbox on and 170 lbs of torque. Up 20lbs is most places which is nuts :)

Lmao bad news in true 'foxy' style is that I'm pretty sure my big end has gone on the way home. Bad knocking Sp I shut off as soon as I could. So nows the dilemma of what to do... Big ends aren't something I've done before so any advice is always more than happy for thoughts.

I can probably build another handy enough with some help with you guys of course. Do I use megane internals? I'll prob wana stay n/a and dunno about chasing power. So something mpg wise similar to itbs and cams.

Gutted :(

HBT 172 Cup
Bad news about the bearings, are you certain its a bottom end knock, they shouldnt just *go* like that, especially as your engines only on 28k or so! WOndering if oil pressure has dropped off or silicon has clogged the pickup, did the oil warning light flicker on at all?

Please upload the graph, id love to compare, see where the torque comes in e.t.c :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
I think in my swearing i've left the graph up at the place, though I've to drop his trailer back tomorrow so i'll grab another.

No idea what i'm going to do tbh Jonny, long night of thinking most likely. Laine no idea how or if anything happened to make it go. I've bore scoped down the plugs and they pistons are fine, same down the trumpets and the valves are fine so the knocking to me only leaves the big end bearings. Yeah 38k is bottom end :S

Whats the best way about going to check if its big end or for oilpressure/ clogged pickup? From underneath or just start ripping it to bits and get the engine out?

Golf GTD Mk7
I'd do an oil pressure test first mate. Could be a pressure switch or a pump issue? Although saying that, the bottom end would be less effected by this. Seems a bit strange though. Was the engine out of a crashed car? just wondering if there was some underlying damage that's taken a while to emerge. Gutted for you mate. It's really disheartening when stuff like this happens so close to completion.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Not sure about running the engine though to get it up to temps for the test Jonny. Its been so long I've no idea about the history anymore but I made sure it was a low miler when I got it with proof.

Anyway on todays silver lining these just turned up, so i'm definitely going to have the car back on the road and thats the end of it. I could stomach a few hundred if it fixed my bottom end and I knew it was golden from then on

8171e06b.jpg

Feel super comfortable and very deep compared to how the photos look and supportive. Something else might just have to go to fund the fix pot, the 2118s or something

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure about running the engine though to get it up to temps for the test Jonny. Its been so long I've no idea about the history anymore but I made sure it was a low miler when I got it with proof.

Anyway on todays silver lining these just turned up, so i'm definitely going to have the car back on the road and thats the end of it. I could stomach a few hundred if it fixed my bottom end and I knew it was golden from then on

8171e06b.jpg

Feel super comfortable and very deep compared to how the photos look and supportive. Something else might just have to go to fund the fix pot, the 2118s or something

If you need somewhere for those seats to 'reside' whilst your car is getting fixed, I'm sure I could help you out? ;)

How you get it back on the road sharpish m8 - sounds like a quirky, unique and interesting project!

D.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Lol Darren no problems mate, I think I might just make an awesome office chair from them in the meantime.

They came from the polish bimarco site forster, bimarco.pl I think

Heres a vid of the noise if anyone can shed any light on confirming or rejecting the big end theory?
th_6a9adafc.jpg

Cro

Meg'd r27
Nope that didn't do anything guys, though to me it seems almost like something might be loose (checked plugs) as I can build revs up quite well slowly without the noise but a blip and it can be heard quite early.

Always a possibility I guess Danny but nothing springs to mind anyway of it happening

Cro

Meg'd r27
Ok so got my hands on a crane and set to work earlier on

c0148de0.jpg

Its getting easier each time but I really need to do something with all of this. Maybe Chrispy would come visit ;)

caabc7df.jpg

Cracked off the sump to be greeted with this :(

deed6747.jpg

Lots of nice swarf, so theres definitely things needing replaced. Poked about a bit further and this little fucker was stuck in the outer edges of the gauze. There was still plenty of room for oil to be sucked through so I can't see this as being the issue that caused but still.

140806ca.jpg

It had a consistency like an elastic band and I thought to myself how in the hell did I do that. Stripped off the pump and guard and couldnt see much but just by accident I noticed this on the side of the block, no idea what it is or what its for

3b15dc15.jpg

but on the other side theres a bit missing that matches the exact piece I pulled out of the pump

5096f67a.jpg

Whatever it is it definitely could have caused serious damage, it was pretty loose and could have dropped into the oil at any stage.

So plan is to replace the bottom end for a quick fix and rebuild this block at my leisure, maybe something high compression for when the car goes completely track/race only

TrackCar & F30 330d
I would say bin all the engine bay rubbish and start again!

Such a shame the big end has gone. Strange piece of silicon or something!

Now the engine is out you can degrease the engine bay and make it look nice and tidy :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Weird that the sealant would have been used from the factory, this one has never been cracked open but ah well.

If I didn't use this car often on the road I probably would start chopping wires but until it comes off the road it'll have to stay :( and mine needs to start :rasp: ;)

Isn't it about time someone came up with the same wireless connections for cars as they use for when you just set your phone down on a surface to charge it! Dragons den here I go...

crashed clio
just sat and read the whole thread. the car looks stunning, and you've put so much work into it! i def take my hat of to you mate, looks great