ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crysis 2 DX11 [PC]

I think this warrants a new thread, as the game has suddenly become what it should have been. That said, the console versions are still awesome. My game has automatically updated through Steam, and I'm now downloading the HD texture pack. I've had a quick look in the game without the new textures, and frankly it looks amazing with everything on Ultra. Need to install the textures and play some more before commenting any further.

I had got to the very last bits of the game on my old machine, but have decided to postpone seeing the ending, in favour of playing through again in DX11.

Crytek came through in the end :cool:

EDIT: Oh I was playing in DX9 Ultra. Didn't realise I also had to download the DX11 upgrade seperately to the game update. Should look even better then.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW

It is jaw dropping. Without a doubt the best looking video game in history. The depth of field is also very effective - it sometimes almost looks a bit 3D. I may have to invest in one of those new Samsung 3D monitors. I've played this game in 3D on the PS3 and it looks great. I can only imagine how good it would be with these graphics. The visuals make the DX9 version look really really rubbish.

The game just came to life. It can now wear the Crysis branding with pride. Oh and it's running like hot butter too. Amazing. Anyone who can do, do it.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Ah I want to get home and play this!
Video looks awesome!

Roy, you running everything on Ultra?
If so, what spec and does it struggle? ;)
May have to grab another GTX480 from work and run them in SLi for this puppy!

Ah I want to get home and play this!
Video looks awesome!

Roy, you running everything on Ultra?
If so, what spec and does it struggle? ;)
May have to grab another GTX480 from work and run them in SLi for this puppy!

Yeah totally vMax DX11. System is Intel i7 2600K in an Asus Z68 @ 4.4Ghz. 8GB RAM, OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 2x GTX580 in SLI. No it doesn't struggle. So far it's running maxed out at 60fps by vsync. Touch wood. 1920x1200 BTW.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Downloading now.

Btw, I wouldn't get excited about the ending Roy, its not great.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
I honestly don't notice much difference :/ lightings a lot better. Make sure you grab the high res texture pack too

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah totally vMax DX11. System is Intel i7 2600K in an Asus Z68 @ 4.4Ghz. 8GB RAM, OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 2x GTX580 in SLI. No it doesn't struggle. So far it's running maxed out at 60fps by vsync. Touch wood. 1920x1200 BTW.

Awesome stuff.
Nice rig btw ;)

Shall see how 2 x 480's cope with it tonight!

Where is the download for this?
A quick Google has only revealed forums speculating the update!

I honestly don't notice much difference :/

WUT? SRS?

EDIT: Re: updating process. My game (Steam) updated itself, thus enabling DX9 Ultra. Then the DX11 and HD texture packs were linked through the in-game UI. Downloaded them. Ran them (exes) and bingo - best looking game ever.

Incidentally, the 1.9 patch has also solved an issue I was having with this rig in SLI. My old machine had a GTX295 (one card SLI) and I had no SLI bugs at all. With dual GTX580, I was having a shadow bug that meant I had to disable one card. Now I can use SLI with no problems. Hopefully other players who were having Crossfire/SLI issues can now enable it too.

Evo 5 RS
Same gpu config as you, no issues. Maybe I need to ditch this screen..I can definitely notice the difference with the textures though

Monaro VXR
To be honest just tried it without enabling the other card. Still perfectly playable even without SLI. It's a bit like the first game where 35-40FPS is perfectly fluid unlike other games at 30FPS which give me a headache. Guessing the motion blue is a help there.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I have 3 displays so typically have to run outside of SLI, which is a bit of a pain, but for this I'll have to enable SLI, everything else doesn't need it.

I may get a second 27" at some point and ditch the 20"s.

Samsung's 27" 120hz 3D monitors are out now I think. Pricey but nicey. They're meant to be amazing. Still 'only' 1920x1080 but that's more than enough at that size with some AA.

Do it.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
lol, would do but I've spent enough on the PC for atleast the next year or so.

The game does look much better BTW.

The S27A950D is released on 30th June in the UK. Scan have it at £575. Gonna wait 'til some more reviews come out before buying.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Rather a lot of:

5F5C19BB-A6ED-4F31-BE34-BA6A137274E4_extra.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
WOW

It is jaw dropping. Without a doubt the best looking video game in history. The depth of field is also very effective - it sometimes almost looks a bit 3D. I may have to invest in one of those new Samsung 3D monitors. I've played this game in 3D on the PS3 and it looks great. I can only imagine how good it would be with these graphics. The visuals make the DX9 version look really really rubbish.

The game just came to life. It can now wear the Crysis branding with pride. Oh and it's running like hot butter too. Amazing. Anyone who can do, do it.

Does it make it less of a boring game to play? I'm guessing not.

At least it looks pretty now though.

I don't think it's boring. It's pretty action packed. I see where you're coming from, because I too thought it was pretty rubbish at one stage, but I stuck with it and it got awesome. True story.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I don't think it's boring. It's pretty action packed. I see where you're coming from, because I too thought it was pretty rubbish at one stage, but I stuck with it and it got awesome. True story.

My biggest problem with Crysis 2 is it feels like you are shoe-horned down a path whether you like it or not, okay Crysis wasn't open world but you could at times choose your way through and angle of attack . . .

I guess being used to games like Fallout 3 emphasises the point at just how open a game can be.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Just because it looks better doesn't make it any less dull, IMO. You know it too! ;)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Also, even with DX11 and high res it doesn't seem to need 580 SLI, I've yet to try it on a single card but in SLI it was screen-tearing all over the shop with V-Sync off.

TBH Crysis was open world IMO. It was a massive sandbox. Never understood how people thought it was linear (I know you're not saying it was linear). You were of course always drawn to an objective but that's impossible to avoid in a story based shooter. At least you could free roam on the way to the objective. Obviously with some restrictions.

I do agree about Crysis 2. It does feel very very linear almost all the time. It's a great game still though, and now it looks even better than the original. Crytek have done what we all wanted them to do. It's quite an important release for PC gaming in general, becuase it shows that some developerds are willing to push the boat out and push PC games forward. It hasn't happened really since 2007. I for one am pleased, and console gamers should be also IMO.

Just because it looks better doesn't make it any less dull, IMO. You know it too! ;)

Well no of course not. If you think it's dull then the graphical updates would only marginally impress in the short term. I however like the game a lot.

Also, even with DX11 and high res it doesn't seem to need 580 SLI, I've yet to try it on a single card but in SLI it was screen-tearing all over the shop with V-Sync off.

Remember though that it isn't drawing anywhere near into the distance as Crysis, and doesn't have the same physics to deal with. Why would you turn off vsync BTW? Screen tearing FTL.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Well V-Sync (unless I'm mistaken) will basically cap it at 60FPS (depending on monitor), so if you want to see what your rig is capable off it needs to be switched off. I was thinking with everything on max/ultra that 580 SLI may not manage 60FPS but evidently it does.

Crysis wasn't open world, there were restrictions, open world is Fallout / Just Cause

Yeah for sure mate, but let's be honest, 60fps capped is all anyone needs? As long as I'm able to hit a constant 60fps I'm happy. I DEFO wouldn't turn it off just to get more frames (that can't be seen) and introduce tearing. I will report further findings later on though.

Interesting question - with these new true 120hz panels, I'm guessing vsync will raise the ceiling to 120fps?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I agree with you totally Roy, there is no way I'd run with V-Sync off, I was purely doing it to see what the cards were outputting.

For sure.

OK maybe open world is a bit of a bold statement, but it was pretty far from linear, besides of course having a goal to reach. Don't even get me started on Fallout 3. Steaming turd of a game that was. Shooting mechanics from 1993. f**king rubbish game lol.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Woahh, don't go there. Fallout 3 was awesome, I'd rate it the best (overall) game ever tbh, ok it probably isn't the best shooter but it was MUCH more than that.

Nah man it was rubbish. Horrible mechanics. It never once felt like I was actually wielding a weapon. The aiming had no weight or inertia. It felt like I was pointing a mouse and pressing a button. Plus the UI on PC was awful. That and the fact that people could be set on fire and they continued talking to you, and then the fire went out. LOL!

I concede that it was probably better on console than PC, but even then you can't forget talking burning people. Show stopper that is. Major league "WTF I'm uninstalling this turd" show stopper.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Nah man it was rubbish. Horrible mechanics. It never once felt like I was actually wielding a weapon. The aiming had no weight or inertia. It felt like I was pointing a mouse and pressing a button. Plus the UI on PC was awful. That and the fact that people could be set on fire and they continued talking to you, and then the fire went out. LOL!

I concede that it was probably better on console than PC, but even then you can't forget talking burning people. Show stopper that is. Major league "WTF I'm uninstalling this turd" show stopper.

Ok there were flaws, I'm not going to argue there. But if you saw past the problems and got involved in the story and spent enough time on it the reward was immense.

I don't doubt it mate, but I wasn't willing to see past the problems. I'm a shooter fan above anything else. I can't play a 'shooter' that has terrible shooting mechanics. It passed me by for that sole reason, and TBH I don't feel like I missed out.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
lol, I bought Sniper Ghost Warrior cheap on Steam, cheap wasn't enough tbh.

Last edited: