ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cummuting in your 1*2/197

Currently I am in the fortunate position of only using my 182 for pleasure and social reasons. I have an awesome (cheap!) tram which runs almost from my front door to my office so no need to commute. That's not to say I'm doing a low mileage by any stretch of the imagination, but it is through choice rather than necessity. I'm now looking at moving (home and job) and will more than likely need to use the car to commute. I was just wondering who here uses theirs to commute and what sort of distance they cover and their thoughts (would you pick a different car, happy to live with the costs/ride etc?)

At the end of the day I'm probably going to put up with the costs and inconveniences involved as I really dont want to go without the weekend hoons, but thought I might as well start looking at the situation before commiting to anything!

BMW 320d SE
I use my 182 to commute - I do approx 50 miles a day to work and back. Personally, due to the route I take, which is all back roads, it's an awesome work-hack. The only issue I have is that the tank doesn't quite have the range to get me to and from work for a full set of shifts before having to refuel.

Mine was on 12k miles when I bought it, it's now approaching 60k :(

Last edited:
  Alfa Romeo 145 QV
I use my 182 Cup for my daily round trip of 84 miles. The majority of that distance is in heavy, dual carriageway traffic. I average about 36 mpg.

Using the Clio is great and i feel fortunate to have such a great car as a daily hack - i just feel a bit guilty at putting so many miles on it!

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
i commute about 60 miles a day for uni and work, i honestly love driving my clio everyday. petrol is a bit of a problem for me because i dont earn alot. i no wot u mean about putting miles on it tho, ive had it for 2 years and im on 25,000, considering i was 17 when i bought it

Clio 200
i used to use the 172 to drive into glasgow city centre 5 days a week. was costin a fortune to park. so went and bought myself a bike to get to and from work - just need to pass my test now lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I got my 172 Cup with 0 miles on it, and after 4 years of commuting it's now got 99,500 miles on it - 60 miles per day commuting and a lot of pure leisure driving.

Very capable, cheap to run, fun to drive, motorway/back road commuting tool.

Now mine's retired to a life of track abuse, if I wasn't so obsessed by my mortgage, I'd buy another instead of having to use my wife's Focus.

I commute in mine. Mixture of motorway, d/c and heavy town driving. Get 36mpg ish average. Its a clio at the end of the day.

Only problem is it doesnt like lots of stop starts on hills.

Its great for it!
I'm very happy with the mpg i get both on the motorway and off. And driving to and from work with a smile on your face is something you can't buy.
GF complains the clutch is too heavy for her in traffic but, thats rubbish, its fine.

I

invisible man

I commute 60 miles per day, all dual carrigeway & motorway. I get around 34-36mpg which, I think, is really good for a car as quick as it is. The only down side for me is the lack of respect from other drivers by the way of driving about three inches from my rear bumper regardless of my speed - never got that in my old Calibra - that is until I floor it, but one of these days it will be another copper and I'll end up with another 3 points on my licence

I commute to work four nights a week, into Birmingham, approx 12 miles, this is going into work at about 7pm, really heavy traffic, my average mpg is about 28-30.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I use to do alot in my 172, cheap car to run really.

High 30's mpg on a run, £60 a corner for good tyres, apart from things falling off, it's far from a expensive car to commute in.

Not concerned, just wondered peoples thoughts :) Getting 31/32mpg at the moment but mostly that is pleasure miles ;) the figures quoted above are a comfort! Thanks guys.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You'll be reet mate... i use mine everyday, 40 miles round-trip a day

Mine's on coilovers and runs a decatted Milltek system too, so not exactly relaxing. lol

...bureet, just turn the cd up! ;)

Black 182
I use mine for work, do about 30k a year in it and get 36mpg even with frequent hammering over back roads etc. Bit noisy with the milltek but like Christopher says, just turn the stereo up! Plus the more you drive it the more BMW drivers you can annoy!

6/468 17poo
i do a 35 mile round trip everyday, mostly back roads, best part of the working day!

Ive found that petrol if drove sensibly i spend £5 more than what i did in my 1.4 but dont pay for parking now!

i think its fine!

Clio 172 mk2
You can never use a 172/182/197 everyday, you should store them in the garage under a cover with CCTV whilst using a second car!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i commute in mine 10 miles of country lanes :)

used to take my 1.2 25 miles each way in my old job

Lee

BMW M2C
I do a 40 mile round trip into the centre of Birmingham. Sometimes it got a pain in the 172 and 182 due to the heavy clutch and having to constantly press it. It's far more comfortable in the Cup, although is costing me more in petrol. The Cup is coming up to 2 months old and I'm already over 2k miles.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i did 110miles a day in mine for 7months, wasnt that bad, however cobbled streets and coilovers arent a good mix

MON

titty cup'd 182
yep I commute in mine, a round trip of 45 miles. It's surprisingly economical with an average of 37mpg, that's only slightly lower than my passat tdi @ 42mpg (although obviously a lot heavier car).

Clio 182 FF
I wouldn't say I commute as such but I drive my 182 to work everyday which is only 5 mins away from home and it's fine for me, although my boyfriend always moans at me to walk as "it's bad for the car, doesn't ever get a chance to heat up!"

BMW 320d SE
I wouldn't say I commute as such but I drive my 182 to work everyday which is only 5 mins away from home and it's fine for me, although my boyfriend always moans at me to walk as "it's bad for the car, doesn't ever get a chance to heat up!"

He's got a point, plus where can you find to park in Southsea without paying a small fortune for the priveledge (sp)?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
If I had to commute, I'd use the Vee :) S'what I own it for heh, driving me places!

Dan

Clio 182 FF

He's got a point, plus where can you find to park in Southsea without paying a small fortune for the priveledge (sp)?

Yeah, but I won't have the chance to drive it otherwise as he uses it all weekend! Plus luckily I park it in my works carpark which is free!:cool:

Megane 225
I drive mine to work every day! Lookin at getting a cheap diesel run around tho and keeping the 172 for the weekend!

Current ride - my Adidas!
I'm doing just over 120mile round trip every day, from Rushden to Coalville and back. MPG varies from 28 when nailing the hell out of it to 41 when I somehow managed to nanny drive it for 2 days solid. Generally around 36 as per the guys above. Cracking commuting tool. If you're going to be spending a fair amount of time in the car each day why would you want something that isn't going to make you smile? Def stick with the cli!

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
40 miles a day, 37mpg average, which is what our old 1.2 16v was getting. so no worse off! Like other people, feel guilty about chucking the miles on tho... Want to keep it as mint as possible! may look to get a cheap and nasty turbo oil burner just to commute in when we work out how much we're going to spend on mortgages, etc... Would be nice to have the Clio as a weekend toy.

Other problem is that when you drive it so much you become complacent about how good it is...

Last edited:
  PH1 172 Sport
I generally use a full tank in a week and cover 360 miles. Its a great commuting tool suprisingly ecconomical on a dual carrigeway or motorway and is a comfortable drive. The only issues I have is the road noise when on a motorway but I think thats down to our shoddy roads!!!

RB 182
I do 110 miles each day now and it's clocking the miles on my car and costing quite a bit so I'm trying to find a cheap diesel to commute in instead.

182 FF
I do over 400 miles a week commuting to work. Mostly A road with small part dual carriageway. Only problem is the price of Petrol!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
its the only way i enjoy the drive to and from work. only a 30 mile round trip but can take up to 45 mins each way..... i love the car but it is a clio like many others. put the miles on and enjoy them. everything on the car is replacable.....

Megane 225
I drive mine to work every day! Lookin at getting a cheap diesel run around tho and keeping the 172 for the weekend!

Heard it all now your buying a beater and running a 172 at the weekends, the point being?

Point being am heading back to uni in sept after my placement and don't want b**tard students wrecking my 172! Also I'll be poor, so don't want to spend a fortune on petrol!

Hyundai i40
great car to commute with so much fun, 40 mile round trip 40ish mpg, dont go much over 50 nower days, but still fun on the back roads i have to go down

and i get to work with a smile

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
agree with the heavy clutch :( i do 60 miles a day for work, 4 days a week and then 20 the other day for uni, but to be honest... uni journey is worse as i can whack the cruise control on for the 60 miler whereas uni is all stop starting in traffic = achey left foot!

dunno what mpg i get on the different routes but ive been putting £35 fuel in each monday and covering 280ish miles