ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Brakes (or lack of them)

Anybody had problems with really hard braking in their cups?

I had to jam the anchors on today while being right up the ar*e of a mercedes, we rounded a corner about 80mph and there in front of us was a minibus overtaking a tractor!! I hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting the merc and nearly lost the back end, road was damp though.

Back end fishtailed before i eventually brought it under control but i sh*t my pants!!! Brakes dont seem to be up to much!!

I got the headbanger sign from the merc driver after we had survived our close call and in response i dropped it into third and left him standing!! OLD tw*t!!!

Anybody had similar probs with cup brakes?

nowt wrong with the brakes, perfect...........the problem is with application. Stamping on it on a damp surface isnt going to promote good control.

rapid weight transfer and a slick surface added to the rear end being loose, but the 172/cup is naturally twitchy under HEAVY breaking.

Nxt time just dont follow so close and you wont have to jam it on so rapidly.

A reason why ABS should be standard....you cant think for other people, even if you never make a mistake, other people might.

-Rob

the cup brakes are perfect and will stand up to severe track abuse. As Ben said, its all down to how theyre applied. its sort of ok to sit on another cars rear bumper on a circuit if you both know what youre doing, but to do that behind a merc driven by an older person at 80mph round a corner is asking for trouble..

Clio 197

The problem in your case is just the spacer between the steering wheel and seat. A little adjustment there and things will be fine.

Suzuki SV1000S

I have found the same prob mate, need to get used to them, Obviously because it doesnt have ABS they just increased the size of the discs so they lock up really easily, In desperate situations I just pump the brakes, seems to work well!

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 09 September 2003

I have found the same prob mate, need to get used to them, Obviously because it doesnt have ABS they just increased the size of the discs so they lock up really easily, In desperate situations I just pump the brakes, seems to work well!

What size are the discs on the Cups? I thought they were the same as regular 172s ie 285mm

The Cup brakes are brilliant m8! You wonder why the back end steps out when you slam the brakes on at 80 mph in the wet???

They dont lock up real easily, the cup brakes are real good. Ive done some spirited driving in mine and was very impressed with them.

Trouble is they seem to put ABS on everything these days and you dont get a feel for the brakes anymore.

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 09 September 2003

What size are the discs on the Cups? I thought they were the same as regular 172s ie 285mm
The 172 and Cup share the same sized brakes disks and pads.

The Cup doesnt have ABS though and has a modified brake steup to compensate

EDD

Suzuki SV1000S

I was told that the discs are slightly larger on the front of the cup as well as the different brake setup, Obviously told a spin then!

Bar-stewards

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye the 172 brakes mate you headbutt the windscreen at every junction.. I have always had a phobia about car with brakes you have to really stamp on to work (like my old 205 GTi) but this car puts these fears aside.. awesome.

Brakes on 172 are from laguna as well. As tested by Autocar the breaks are very good braking from 100-0 in under 5 seconds beating a porsche 911 turbo!!