ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup no longer exclusive

From Evo Mag

"Renaults Clio Cup has been a bigger hit even Renault dared hoped. In fact such is its success that the 172 may be discontinued in the UK altogether and the Cup offered with a list of options including ABS and air-con."

Quote: Originally posted by big hp on 03 May 2003

I think so, more so if its a mk1 though id of thought. IMHO
Do you mean cos it was uglier than the mk2 and qpq not as desirable?

Paul
<SCRIPT language=javascript>

190 BHP Willy 2

I think the mk1 is a better looking car and more desireable IMHO.

Everyone to there own though.

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 03 May 2003

From Evo Mag

"Renaults Clio Cup has been a bigger hit even Renault dared hoped. In fact such is its success that the 172 may be discontinued in the UK altogether and the Cup offered with a list of options including ABS and air-con."
will the list of options include other colours or will everyone have to have the blue? i think its a fair question

Why dont they just spray the 172 in a different range of colours. Surely a cup with ABS and aircon is just a 172 MK2. Doh!

Renault Laguna Coupe

If they offer lots of options, e.g. leather/alcantra interior @ £1,000, Climate Control @ £500, Autochanger £300 theyll end up charging more for a fully-loaded Cup than a standard 172!

I dont recal if it did. But a Williams is a Williams, and not a division of the same company. The Williams always had the advantage of being developed with an F1 team that at the time was the best in the world. But there was only a limeted (see did it again ;) ) ammount. With the cup its uncapped. If they capped the amount and gave one an exclusive number like the Willys then I am sure the 172 wouldnt die out.

Paul

No! No! No! The Willy was developed by RenaultSport, as an evolution of the 16v, similar to today with the 172/Cup duo. Williams never even touched the car!

See http://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asphttp://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asp for the full details. The basics are that Renault were racing the 16v (F7P) powered rally car in Group A with all the 4x4 turbo nutters - and wanted to exploit the extra 200cc that the regulations would allow. So they created the 2.0 (F7R) engine and lumped it into the rally car. It was only another 13bhp, but it got 85% of the torque at 2500rpm.

The previous homologation car was the Clio 16v, but now they were using the F7R engine, they needed a new homologation car. Hence, the Willy was born - to celebrate Renault/Williams F1 victories at that time.

Both the 16v and 2.0 powered Clios still hold tarmac records as the fastest Group A tarmac cars ever - faster than the 4x4 turbos like the Cosworth, Delta Integrale and Scooby. Thats why some people say the Super1600 class was created: to stop Renault embarassing the big boys with a little NA rally car. Thats why there is no 172 rally car, just a 1600 capacity car.

A Cup with Extras is a 172.

So, You buy a Cup and have the Extras.. It will cost more than a 172.

A Day before the 172 gets discontinued, We all buy 10 172s each.. and then sell them for 1k less than a Fully Loaded Cup.. Quids In.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 03 May 2003

A Day before the 172 gets discontinued, We all buy 10 172s each.. and then sell them for 1k less than a Fully Loaded Cup.. Quids In.
man u must be loaded if you can buy 10 172s just like that.. send some money my way..cheers..

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 03 May 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 03 May 2003

man u must be loaded if you can buy 10 172s just like that.. send some money my way..cheers..
Heh, but youd make money on them all.. so you get a loan for 10, then pay them all off.. with extra for you!

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 03 May 2003

No! No! No! The Willy was developed by RenaultSport, as an evolution of the 16v, similar to today with the 172/Cup duo. Williams never even touched the car!

Well that proves a point at least. I hang around here a lot and I thought it was developed with Williams. So the average Joe probably thinks the same.

Paul

Yeah Renault are quite cheeky for there so called "exclusive models" when the origonal williams came out it it was exclusive... then the williams 2 appeared then the williams 3! At least they only made so many of em.. :D

With the cup i can see it just selling and selling till its as popular as a saxo VTR is... Glad i have a MK1 172 ;)

Clio v6

I dont think the Cup ever was exclusive. Just another one of those odd ball silly mistakes from Renault.

Kind regards,

Clio V6 owner :)

GR7

Shiny red R32

I think that the most exclusive Clio other than the Williams will be the V6

:cool:

Nope, Williams will be the only exclusive Clio.. mainly because it was made to a limited number.

Unless they limit the numbers of the new V6..

172 Cup, Caterham R300

My cups exclusive, its got a lovely stone chip, a tasty kerbed wheel and two delightful dents in the rear wing. :(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

i dont know if I would call that exclusive ..hehe.. maybe adding character to your car ..

According to Renault "the cup will be available as part of the renaultsport range for ONE YEAR from release" Hence, thats why its apparently due to finish production in September/October, before the new Clio makes its appearance in the early part of next year. So it will only continue to sell as long as its available. Example u cant buy a Mk1 172 or V6 now, they were replaced, and the cup will be too .........soon it would seem. The cup is the last incarnation of the Mk2 clio, just like the Mk1 172 Exclusive was released before the Mk2 172 made its debut.

Quote: Originally posted by BigBoreBri on 03 May 2003

Yeah Renault are quite cheeky for there so called "exclusive models" when the origonal williams came out it it was exclusive... then the williams 2 appeared then the williams 3! At least they only made so many of em.. :D

With the cup i can see it just selling and selling till its as popular as a saxo VTR is... Glad i have a MK1 172 ;)
i remember when it 1st came out ! (shows how old I am). Well there was a very limited number and dealers wouldnt tell you how much. You had to make an offer on one.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 03 May 2003

My cups exclusive, its got a lovely stone chip, a tasty kerbed wheel and two delightful dents in the rear wing. :(

I dont know if I would call that exclusive ..hehe.. maybe adding character to your car ..
I think it is now known as being "distressed" - thats what they call furniture that has been knocked about a bit.

Nissan R35 GT-R

I will own a 6R4 one day. There were only 24 (I think) Ford RS200 EVOs made though, and sell for around £150,000 today!

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 04 May 2003

I will own a 6R4 one day. There were only 24 (I think) Ford RS200 EVOs made though, and sell for around £150,000 today!
Christ how much! theres a bloke where i surf who has one of these!!! Didnt realise it was worth so much:eek:

Daz, at present they rekon that there is only about 300 or so v6s in the uk opposed to 400mk1 willies 300mk2s and 500mk3s. So sorry which one where you saying was the most exclusive???????:p

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 03 May 2003

Dont beleive everything Renault say. There is a good chance that production of the Cup will be extended especially if its selling well. Plus with the chance of increasing profit margins with options why wouldnt they. They did the same with the Williams.

Anyways, the new Clio looks like it may resemble a smaller megane.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/News/0,5684,1369-1372_1340806,00.html">http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/News/0,5684,1369-1372_1340806,00.html
Hmmm lets have a look. Click. Sites a bit slow...hmm whats this...oh my fooking god! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Breath

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Its awfull!

Paul

Renault Laguna Coupe

LOL @ that article:

"Of course there will be a V6 Clio as well and it is expected to offer even more muscle with performance on par with a BMW M3."