ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup or normal 172 dilema

with some garages no offering uk spec 03 reg cups with delivery miles for £10500 and motorpoint doing import mk2 full spec 172s for £11699 i am now torn between the two. I would like the peace of mind have a uk spec cup but the question is is it worth paying the extra grand and going for the import 172 eith all the extras?

Lee

BMW M2C

Only you can decide that. Get a test drive in one of each and see which you prefer.

A lot of us on here have 172s from Motorpoint or Trade Sales, all of which are imports. As long as you know what you are doing there arent any problems at all. Mine goes to my local dealer for all work and they have no issues with its origins. Just make sure its an EU import.

I would say, dont buy a Cup just because its cheaper, buy it because its what you prefer. Too many people appear to have made that mistake.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

get a 172 i rekon. cups are a pain in the ass. and anways youll just get cold in winter and hot in summer... + windscreen cracks easily on a cup

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by david_129 on 06 January 2004

get a 172 i rekon. cups are a pain in the ass. and anways youll just get cold in winter and hot in summer... + windscreen cracks easily on a cup
How do you know cups are a pain in the ass seeing as you own a 1.6?

thanks for the replies guys, the people with imported clios, did you get an alarm fitted by renault or did you go for a third party alarm, & if so what make?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

cause i use this forum! and its what ive read. im getting a 172 next anyways.

Like others have said, it depends on what you want, both are great cars. And like it was said, dont buy the cup just because its cheaper otherwise you might regret it. Not a lot between them, just a bunch of toys. Also depends if you think the toys are worth the extra £1000, I do.

+ windscreen cracks easily on a cup

[/QUOTE]Didnt take much to crack my windscreen in the 172 either :(

172 Cup

Seems a sensible basis to make such a daft comment!

Nippy white cup

Funny that, my heater works perfectly well as do my electric windows. It is down to personal preference really. I expected to get used to /bored of driving mine after a few thousand miles. Ive done 11500 in 6 months and am still loving it

Chris

172 Cup

Sensible answer to your question is like Lee says, try them both. All depends on what you want the car for really.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Personal choice will prevail,for me it depends what your doing with it.If your gonna own it for three yrs then get the gadgets,you will enjoy climate control but if youve never had it then you cant miss it.

I would love to swap my 172 for a week with a cup to see the difference,or sell my 172/swap a cup next just for that little extra va va voom

They are both great cars but you need to drive them to decide

ian

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by griff_90 on 06 January 2004

Seems a sensible basis to make such a daft comment!
look im not saying its a bad car or anything i just know id prefer to have the extras and thicker glass and aircon blah blah blah. And to be honest it is a sensible basis to make a daft comment, this forum tells you other peoples experiences and since ive used it i know id opt for a 172 over a cup simple. I have aircon now and wouldnt go without it.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by chas on 06 January 2004

thanks for the replies guys, the people with imported clios, did you get an alarm fitted by renault or did you go for a third party alarm, & if so what make?
Motorpoint will fit an alarm for you which brings it up to Thatcham cat 1. I have a Sigma M34, theyll either fit that or the M32.

Its actually better than the Renault one as I can program more security features from the keypad.

172 Cup

Fair point but next time wouldnt it be wiser to say "in my opinion" or "Ive heard" etc rather than jump in and say the cup is a pain in the ass. Might offend a few cup owners especially as you obviously havent even driven one yet. Not a dig just some advice.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 06 January 2004

The glass is no different to what is on YOUR 1.6 Asswipe.
What? dynamique has same glass as 172...dont know what ur talking about. I wont insult u..but it seems to me your pretty angry cause i have an opinon. Which is a shame, but the fact still remains...id go for a 172.

Lee

BMW M2C

Ill be the first to appologise to chas.

PM me if you have any questions about buying from Motorpoint. May be slow to reply though today as Im in and out of the office.

The CUP has the same glass as a dynamique yes. Does your glass crack easily? Why have you bought a car with thin glass?

People are not entitled to an opinion. People are entitled to an INFORMED opinion. Of which yours is not.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 06 January 2004

The CUP has the same glass as a dynamique yes. Does your glass crack easily? Why have you bought a car with thin glass?

People are not entitled to an opinion. People are entitled to an INFORMED opinion. Of which yours is not.
LOL...no mate dynamique glass isnt the same as the cup one!! haha pathetic

thought it was only the 172 that has thicker glass (well that and anti glair). Could be wrong but i also thought the cup has the same glass as all the other clios, with the exception of the 172. When it says the cup has thinner glass, it is being compared to the 172, not the whole clio range.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

i was told by trade sales whol sold me my car it was the same as the 172 and the cup had lighter glass put in to reduce weight... so i could be avebeen misinformed. If thats the case i apologise.....but id still get a 172 over a cup for the toys.

Lee

BMW M2C

As far as I know the only car to have lighter glass is the Cup. The rest have the same glass, the only difference being the fancy anti glare coating which the 172 and a few of the others have.

were all getting off topic, you need to have an idea exactly what you want, if you want a quick car with comfort go for the 172, if you want a quicker car
(here come the comments) and dont mind losing a little comfort then go for the cup. !!!! , and if you want a even quicker car than buy an evo!!!!!;)

Depends on individual car and driver smart ass!!!!!;)
i just commented that overall the cup is quicker than the 172, so thankyou for backing that up!!!!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by rickyboy on 06 January 2004

Depends on individual car and driver smart ass!!!!!;)
i just commented that overall the cup is quicker than the 172, so thankyou for backing that up!!!!
ooo touchy sorry i just got that off autoexpress article. I know cups are gonna be faster due to the weight loss...its obvious... must be that lighter crappy glass!! ;) no need to get angry though!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

all in good fun guys. yeah just saying that it dont seem like a massive difference for all the weight saved...what is it like 90kgs?

KDF in my opinion having driven both for long periods can without doubt say that point to point the cup feels quicker, let me guess you drive a 172??

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yes I do drive a 172, I have also drivin the Cup though, so I have the perspective of actually driving both (as have a lot of people) not just guessing.

David, its 89KGs difference. If you want to narrow the gap take out your spare wheel, that weighs 16KG, change you alloy wheels to 16" light weight ones, that should save about 4-5KG/wheel about 16-20KGs + the 16KGs off the spare is about 32-36KGs, which means the difference is now nearer 53-57KGs.

I know were going doen the whole cup vs 172 debate "again" but i dont understand all these 172 owners who fail to accept the fact that the cup is quicker of the mark than a standard 172, if you believe that the same car with but 89ks lighter and tighter suspension is not quicker from point to point, then thats your opinon !!