ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup or normal 172 dilema

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Basically yes, the Cup will handle better than the 172, nothing a set of lowering springs cant fix, and the Cup will beat the 172 acceleration wise too, but not by massive amounts.

If you dont want to pay extra for toys, and want every ounce of extra acceleration you can get.. Cups for you, plus you may prefer the looks of the Cup.

If you want all the toys, luxuries etc etc.. get the 172/182

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

182 should be lighter than a 172.

due to its boot floor and lack of spare.

Having driven both cars, I would say the differences are all down to driver preferance!

Standard 172 = Full fat, lardy! I love mine but I guess Im getting old as the leather, climate, traction control, xenons etc appealed to me I like getting places a fraction of a second or two later in more comfort.

172 CUP = The Kate Moss of clios! Stripped down, lightened and suspension thats been fiddled with. A great car very focused and probably the closest thing for less than 11K youll find to a go-cart (Thats a compliment)

You need to drive both and decide what you want from the car. Also bear in mind that for a few £££ you can make a 172 as quick as a cup and have the same or better suspension setup.

7.6cc :D

Crikey is this still going on?

Remember the 172 is more expensive for a reason, its a nicer car!

Yes, the cup is quicker, but its only the cheap option 172, plus it doesnt come in black.

JillyB,

"Remember the 172 is more expensive for a reason, its a nicer car!"

nicer maybe, but i buy my performance cars for performance not niceness, but thats your opinion, also black is so last season darling!!!!!!:) ;)

Quote: Originally posted by rickyboy on 06 January 2004

JillyB,

"Remember the 172 is more expensive for a reason, its a nicer car!"

nicer maybe, but i buy my performance cars for performance not niceness, but thats your opinion, also black is so last season darling!!!!!!
I did state that the cup was quicker though, so i was being objective.

and dont ever sl*g off black, or ill run you over........twice ;)

Stereotypical Cup drivers - whats that nonsense!!

Im a car enthusiast whos very passionate about my hobby, have bought a car that reflects this and allows me to feel like a racing driver on every single journey (even going to the garage for a pint of milk). Im bound to have some views on which is best.

Thats what a discussion forum is about, and it doesnt matter how many times you thrash the subject out as long as everyone is enjoying having an opinion!!

Cups are great drivers cars, and are better suited to fast road use in my opinion, and I love the way they bob along like a well set up racing car, it makes me feel special.... :D 172s are also good but too much of a compromise for what I want.

id never dream of sl*gging black darling, my black ash furniture, leather bean bags and dyed mullet are all at the cutting edge of fashion!!!;)

david_129 - Ive already done that 20% Gay. :D

I notice you havent posted your score - whats up was it embarassing. :p

No offence to gay peeps cause they are great fun, IMO.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

i have posted my score!??! i think u shoudl do it again...u know...just to make certain...

No need - as I contested before I have nothing to prove.

You wont make the 172 any better by claiming Cup drivers are gay.;)

has anyone actully put the cup and 172 side by side with two compitant drivers? just wondering how big in REAL LIFE the diffrence is.?? personally i like the look of the cup. but i like the comfert of the 172, so i got one with 17" cup wheels on. tyres are looking a bit thin now. wonder how much they will be?

172 Cup

Funny you should say that. I have a video of a Cup vs a mk2 172 around a circuit with good drivers in both cars. Will dig it out..

Direct from the EVO website

Renault Sport Clio 172

£14,600
4/1998
170/6250
147/5400

Renault Sport Clio Cup

£12,995
4/1998
170/6250
147/5400

7.1 vs 6.5 to 60 is a decent result ( at least a cars length I would say ) the power to weight ratio say is all ( 171 vs 156 ). The stats dont lie.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The reason I deleted most of the topics is because they had nothing to do with what the original poster was asking, it had just turned into a sl*gging match.

I didnt want to lock this thread as the original thread starter was entitled to reply and ask questions. This has nothing to do with whether or not I thought an argument was going in my favour this was about going off topic.

I make no appologies for removing most of the posts in this thread (including my own) and will remove any further off topic posts. If you want to slate me PM me.

Please if you are going to reply at least keep it on topic, take the sl*gging match somewhere else.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

lol at Steves comment :)

Ive just paid 10,845 for an 9month old 03 plated 172 UK car with 2yrs 3months warranty remaining. Fully serviced and 2 new front Contis etc.

I decided Id rather have a 9month old UK car than a new import car for the same price, as the warranty ironically is longer on the older UK car as the import was from Cyprus. The alarm is also standard etc and as far as insurance was concerned it was easier than an import.

So the cars are out there, it just depends whether you want a quick car with the toys or a quickER car without the toys.

thanks for your opionions and help , i think i would like all the toys so i will probably go for the full fat 172, i think i will try to source a uk second hand model first, and if no joy i will speak to motorpoint .

didnt realise that my topic would cause a few arguments:D

Cup 172

chas

You could always get a CUP with Climate Control like mine!!;). Having driven both a 172 and the CUP I would say that the cup is the more focussed driving machine as it was intended to be. Quicker, firmer ride, more noise and flatter cornering. Personally, I prefer the look of the CUP, the driving position is slightly lower than the 172, the colour (Mondial Blue) is superb, and with air-con I cant wait for the summer. As you say, you prefer all the toys, so it looks like a 172 for you.

Happy hunting.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by MIKE-CUP on 07 January 2004

the driving position is slightly lower than the 172
Is this true.. if so how ? cause the cup seats are the same as the 172 or do you mean the Cup is lowered a few mm more therefore you sit lower to the ground ?

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 07 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by MIKE-CUP on 07 January 2004

the driving position is slightly lower than the 172
Is this true.. if so how ? cause the cup seats are the same as the 172 or do you mean the Cup is lowered a few mm more therefore you sit lower to the ground ?
Nah, he just has a skinny ass ;)

Cup 172

My mistake, I fu*ked up! Thought I read somewhere it was slightly lower.

JillyB

Leave my ass out of this!

Remapped derv Golf

Ive read it in evo in a long term test of the cup. Also think I saw it in the cup leafet from Renault.

I didnt bother taking the CC cause Ive got a second car with it.

"The seats arent the half-Alcantara items of the stock 172, but theyre pretty comfortable and they do sit you a bit lower, though I still feel like Im perched on a mezzanine level." - EVO December 2002

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I wasnt disputing the fact (if anyone took it that way) im just asking how they got it lower ? different runners ?

I do feel that it is a bit of a disadvantage with the Clios ... my old pug 205 Gti felt like sitting 2 mm off the ground. (well sorta)

This 172 / Cup dilemma is flowing along quite nicely now isnt it.

Cup enthusiast - Hardcore driver - Thinks of nothing else when driving...ish!

172 enthusiast - More into a rounded package, of air con, comfort...... and driving.

Depends what type of enthusiast you are as to which car you would opt for.IMO

Make sure you test both extensively to see which suits you most.

insignia

here goes.i like the 172 and the 172 cup. i prefer the cups wheels and stiffened suspension and wider track.but out of the two cars on a whole i would definately have to have air con,abs,better seats,sound proofing all those extras that you dont get with the cup. Now that the 182 is coming out im definately gonna get one of these.believe me they look the dogs bollox.at first i was dubious at the picture of a silver 182 on paper.the wheels just looked ok but the tailpipes looked far to weedy.Until i saw one for real. the pipes look nice not too small not too big. The wheels;they look real nice i tell ya kind of darker grey type but they look nice and set the car apart.The whole car sits just that bit better,lower wider etc. Havent made my mind up yet which colour suits the new 182 best but silver or black is gonna look the dogs b****cks! The only people who are gonna sl*g the new 182 and say there 172 is faster is people who have just got there 172 or cup and are keepin there cars and not gettin a 182.i know though when i pull up next to a 172/cup in a 182 that although there basically the same car- i have the newer improved version -i really cannot wait to get this machine. i love the 172,172cup and the 182 i just know which one i prefer-until then roll on 172

try car people too, they have a few in. Ive seen a 172 and a cup race and theres nothing in it...it was just like cat and mouse. youd have to be going in a straight line to make a big distance from the 172. Id probably get a 172 with cup wheels or a 182 if I could insure the damn thing.