ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

*** Cup owners - Brake Bias Valve ***

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

This is VERY important people...

As you probably already know, there has been a lot of talk on here lately about a problem with the brake bias valve on the Cup (maybe 172 as well?!) and it could potentially cause an accident!!!

There "should" be a link between the brake bias valve and the rear beam, which alters the braking bias of the car, but in some cases this is missing.

I just checked mine to find that it is not there and I am on my way to Renault this afternoon, to get it sorted out. With the weather now being cold, damp and frosty theres no way you want the brakes to be faulty...

Please check your cars for this fault ASAP and if it looks like the pic below (i.e. no link) then get yours to the dealer and get it fixed!

Look >>>

http://members.lycos.co.uk/pug306rallye/Clio/Clio_Rear_Brake_Bias.jpg

(view - looking under car from rear passenger wheel)

Do not ignore this folks...

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

With the exception of a brake limiter valve altogether as you have ABS mate...

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Outraged x 2. Me neither.

We definately need something from Renault about this. As my local garage think theres nothing wrong with it!!

172, Tiguan

Im gonna look a right prat outside the office, but ill go and have a look in a bit.

Yeh back end goes a bit light.

Just spoke to my renault dealer. They seem to think the Cup is not ment to have one. Normally larger cars like estates and vans have them but not the Cup. And because Renault have not recorded this as a fault...they want to charge me to fit this. What should i do??

172, Tiguan

OK mine doesnt have one either. And i just got laughed at by the guys in the office. Are they meant to have one?? Are you sure?

172, Tiguan

But the back end should go light under braking??!?? As 75/80% of the braking is done at the front.

My dealer says they are not ment to have one...but i doubt them very much. Has anyone been in touch with Renault UK?

Id wait until Renault themselves make an official statement about this. If everyone who owns a CUP says theres doesnt have the part then thats how they should be.

Nippy white cup

Is there actually anyone who does have this part? My mate reckons the missing bit would be there instead of the valve(as with the 172)

i would have thought it should still have one even without abs as its there to sort out the amount of pressure needed to compensate for large loads in the boot so should need one no matter what id have thought but could be wrong

hehe on the phone to Renault Customer Service now...they said because my dealer does not think the car is ment to have one of these parts, they will not replace. Dealers will only replace a part under warrenty if its ment to be there or broken.

Now, for a re-call to take place..the network of dealers must report this fault to Renault UK and the level of Risk. I stressed to the guy on the phone that this is more than a high risk...If a car cannot brake properly then its a very high risk to the driver and other road users. I have to ask my dealer to phone them now..(hehe)..and then guy needs to take action very ugently. Ill kepp you lot updated.

Right....Spoke to my dealer again...now service seem to think that its all to do with lights. Yes lights. If you have 1/2 a ton in the back of your back, the weight will cause the lights to beam higher, blinding other road users. The bar raises the rear of the car when under heavy weight, which causes the lights to sit level...whats the f**king score man??? Are they right or are we?? He said he is almost certain that the Cup is not ment to have this bar???

Load of b****cks about lights, so when I accelrate is there a valve so stop the car front from going up. What is the little switch for which allows you to lower or higher the beam for then!!

Its there to stop the front end and rear end fighting to be the one going foward when you break hard. Anyone been seen an artic. lorry lock its trailer wheels up when empty, its because the bais valve is knackered.

Mr2 Roadster

Think thats something for Autocar and Which? Would get in touch and make sure that theres a recall!

Its the same sort of thing as on the Valvers, they get messed up if lowered and not adjusted!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

STOP!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just to let you all know that I have now been and checked with Renault, as well as looking on the ACTIS system and the link is NOT meant to be there on a Cup!!!

Believe me, it aint supossed to be there on a Cup (it is on a 172 though) and I have just seen a Renault tech note with my own eyes that states this...

Dont panic... we were mis-informed and its normal!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Dust on 24 October 2003

Just spoke to my renault dealer. They seem to think the Cup is not ment to have one.
Correct...

I have just been and checked myself!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 24 October 2003

But the back end should go light under braking??!?? As 75/80% of the braking is done at the front.
No...

Braking split should be 60% front & 40% rear!

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Cup172(work) on 24 October 2003

What is the little switch for which allows you to lower or higher the beam for then!!
When towing a caravan etc the weight would alter your headlight level so you should adjust to compensate. Or so I have thought for many years?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 24 October 2003

Id wait until Renault themselves make an official statement about this.
They have... its on ACTIS... the link is NOT meant to be there!

:oops:Now i look like a right idiot...ive been shouting at Renault that the Cup should have one...and the servicev guys been certain it shouldnt. lol. ahh well...

172, Tiguan

change your dealership mate.;)

I got laughed at for crawling under my car in suit trousers.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

LOL

I was rolling around under tha car with a camera, so I must have looked like a right muppet!

At least we now have a definate answer...

The Jinx

Just think about it guys. The hole at the bottom is on a rigid beam which clearly doesnt move (see the rigid pipes coming out of it. At the valve end that is also fixed (see rigid metal hydraulic lines going in to the valve).

Given this, what the fvck would anything do that would be connected between the two, since they are both rigid?

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

i just read this thread ,i ran out side to have a look at mine and guess what........... it bloody has 1 why ????

im confused guys is it meant to be there or no???

this is quite interesting topic

Well my Cup now has it fitted (by Mike172sport) and I tell you it now feels safe when braking and you can feel that the brakes are biased towards the front now. A totaly different car to drive. So unless I am told it has to come out for safety reason it will stay firmly in place thank you very much !

Anyone at donnington can have a look at mine if they like.