ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Packed Coilovers, Talk To Me

S4 Avant
Been covered a million times I know, but we're doing it again.

I'm in the market for a new set of coilovers as I'm fed up with my Gaz dampers.

What would people recommend in regards to cup packed suspension?
Are Gaz golds prone to leaking just as much as the cheap gaz's?
Machining 172 coilovers? Wise?
Are AST's worth the price tag?
or do I just stick with standard dampers and eibach springs?

Just looking for information on construction and quality really. Price isn't too much of an issue.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Been covered a million times I know, but we're doing it again.

I'm in the market for a new set of coilovers as I'm fed up with my Gaz dampers.

What would people recommend in regards to cup packed suspension?
Are Gaz golds prone to leaking just as much as the cheap gaz's?
Machining 172 coilovers? Wise?
Are AST's worth the price tag?
or do I just stick with standard dampers and eibach springs?

Just looking for information on construction and quality really. Price isn't too much of an issue.

H&r's are the best option for the 182 imo. Although I'd prefer a hub swap and kw v2's.

500 Twinair
H&R's are good, but would love a set of KW's, will get a set
on my next car.
As for the trophy setup, they are supposed to be very good but then you have the problem of lowering them, which I believe you can do on koni's.

S4 Avant
Well everyone goes on about getting 172 coilovers machined out to fit the 182 hubs, but would like to hear from some one who definately knows what to do.

The trophy setup can indeed be lowered on the mark fish eibach springs, but would like to know how that compares with AST's or KW v2s

Lionel Richie
and is still in the process!

Dave in summary

everything available is s**t, AST's included, H&R's are good though

S4 Avant
and is still in the process!

Dave in summary

everything available is s**t, AST's included, H&R's are good though

Simple and to the point, I like it.

Been offered a set of H&Rs, but am I right in thinking you can supply new as well?

Lionel Richie
if they're cheap enough buy them, even if they're fucked they can be rebuilt for (this is what it use to cost btw) £75+vat a corner

S4 Avant
The blokes got them in the for sale section at £600 having just had a refurb. Might see what funds are like after payday. Still recovering from the new exhaust I had last month!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Dave,

on my 182 I had Sportlines and std dampers, then H&R's, then AST's, then back to sportlines. Best for English roads were the sportlines! H&R's were to soft on the rear for me. The AST's wern't what I expected either, not worth the cash in my opinion.

Depends what you're after, if it's just for lowness I'd just get the KTec kit because of the price.

S4 Avant
Dave,

on my 182 I had Sportlines and std dampers, then H&R's, then AST's, then back to sportlines. Best for English roads were the sportlines! H&R's were to soft on the rear for me. The AST's wern't what I expected either, not worth the cash in my opinion.

Depends what you're after, if it's just for lowness I'd just get the KTec kit because of the price.

Yours are the only ASTs I have experience of actually. Never actually driven on any other coilover setups, so can't compare to anything else really.

Not really after lowness in particular, although it can't harm! I've got the car to the ideal height I like on the Gaz's.

S4 Avant
I've bought bubbles h&r's, purely as I always wanted a set; if your interested in the sachs send me a pm. Refurbed in feb :0)

Thought you might have done. I'll probably end up sourcing some H&Rs new tbh. I've thought long and hard about trophy suspension and it's the ride height that puts me off.

500 Twinair
The only place I think you can get h&r's from is BTM performance.
Ktec may able to but stopped supplying them for the 182 cups because they were too expensive.
Not too sure on Avo, never heard it mentioned for the 182's.