ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Questions...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

This is killing me! Ive got to wait until the third week of September before I get my Cup, until then Im stuck in my overweight Mondeo, and to cap it all my friends just taken delivery of a Leon Cupra R.

The Cup...never sat in one, never even test driven a Clio, dont want to until mines delivered. But I constantly come across things so please enlighten me...

"Optimum Gear Change Indicator" - where is it? What colour is it? Does it flash or does it just come on?

Pedals - Ive read that theyre ideally set for heel & toe changes...are they?

Lift-off-oversteer - Evo magazine said with Michelin Pilot Exaltos its a dream, anyone got any experience of these?

Thanks.

there is a shift light on the dash in my 172, dunno about the cup, but at a guess I would say there is one. Its located on the right hand side.

Gear change light: is in the bottom right hand corner of the instrument panel, its green and comes on as a test light when you switch the ignition on.

Pedals: work very well and quick gear changes can be easily acheived. (tip try not to dip the clutch as you may get the odd crunch, get into the habbit of getting the pedal fast and hard to the floor on each gear change.

Lift off oversteer: when pushing on rather hard on tight sweeping bends (70 MPH+ ish) try to ease off the gas rather than straight off or you may need to react rather quickly as it does bite into the corner rather hard.

all in all alot of fun to drive

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

At what revs does the change light come? Is it constant or does it blink/flash? Is it in your line of sight if youre "making progress"?

I used to really enjoy getting my Pug 306 out of shape around motorway roundabouts, lift-off, the back steps out, and it tightened the line up nicely. So I can expect more of the same with the Cup then? Currently my Mondeo (which goes quite well considering its a ton and a half of pig iron, albeit with a 2.5 V6 and 18s) does nothing as entertaining as that...even with the ESP off, lifting off does nothing but slow you down.

Pedal wise the Mondeos brake is set too low for consistent throttle blips when braking/changing down...Im hoping the Cups is a bit more in line. The pictures of the pedals Ive seen show a flared left edge to the throttle which from lookking at it seems as though its purpose built for H&T changes.

Im not sure how pedals can be ideally spaced as everyone has different sized feet. Theres plenty of room for me though (im a size 10). The Cup has more grip than the std 172, oversteer is still easily accessible in the Cup but not as much so as in the 172.

-Rob

its not an optimum gear change light its an ouch ya fooker ya hurting me light its to tell you if ya dont change your gonna hit the limiter nowt about optimum change at all

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Spaced for H&T?

Whats critical is not so much the space between the pedals, but the difference in height when youre braking hard. Ideally under hard braking I want the brake pedal to be 1/2 inch higher than the throttle, so that I can then roll my foot off to the right to give the engine a little blip when slotting down.

Trouble with my Mondeo is that when braking hard if your foot is off to the right to blip the throttle its actually already pressing down on it, so instead of a blip, it just holds the revs at about 3k.

What do the 172/Cups sound like at full chat? My freind with the Leon Cupra R chopped in a Civic Type-R for it. Before that he had an S2000 for six months. Both those engines screamed at the redline but sounded superb while doing it. So, up near the redline, do the Clios sound like theyre about to self-destruct or is it a sound you live for?

Nissan R35 GT-R

The pedals are SUPERB!

The brake pedal is about an inch higher than the throttle pedal, and the throttle is like a chunky reversed L shape, so its really easy to catch with the edge of your foot if you need to.

There is a shift-light on the Cup. Its at the very bottom of the right hand warning light array. It lights up (does not blink) and comes on at 6250rpm when engine oil is cold, and 6750rpm once it has warmed.

To be honest it is pretty useless in the daytime - you dont see it - but at night its quite visible.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

UPDATE!!!

"Optimum Gear Change Indicator" = 2nd little red dot below the 7 on the Rev Counter. ie, when the needle touches this you better change NOW or youre going to lose the race

Nissan R35 GT-R

The dealer is supposed to fit them - get them to order you some free of charge. Its a common problem - check you have a front splitter too.