ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup racer ball joint holders - 2 different sizes !

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Anyone noticed this there are two sizes 1 longer than the other, so moves the hub out different distances! Only found out by chance when sorting through my spares. Maybe the uk and euro cars were different and that's why the ran et 48 wheels to compensation for the wider ball joint holder vs et43.

theres always something you find out new with theses car...

Cup In bits
I have two sets that I'll check against each other, both being from Europe afaik I'm guessing they'll be the same.

If you have any spares going sox711 might have them from you.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Ph1 cars running the early box are shorter - can't remember how much by. Distance on the Ph2 from centre point of bearing carrier to the nearest bolt hole is 71mm. Will have a look at the ph1 later and post up.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Wonder why they did it as the shafts are besopke so didnt have to make them wider than a ph1?? Improve the scrub radius maybe.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Wonder why they did it as the shafts are besopke so didnt have to make them wider than a ph1?? Improve the scrub radius maybe.
It may only be down to something as simple as homologation reasons with the standard ph1 being a narrower track width from the factory when compared to the ph2. It's like the cup racer wishbones give the same amount of castor increase as the ones fitted to a 172 cup with the offset hole drillings. In theory if you fitted a set of cup arms along with cup racer uniballs you'd get even more castor than a cup racer.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
It may only be down to something as simple as homologation reasons with the standard ph1 being a narrower track width from the factory when compared to the ph2. It's like the cup racer wishbones give the same amount of castor increase as the ones fitted to a 172 cup with the offset hole drillings. In theory if you fitted a set of cup arms along with cup racer uniballs you'd get even more castor than a cup racer.

But the cup racers were a one make series so no homologation needed.....

Clio V6, cup racer
First year for the UK (and only, at the time) cup racer had a lot of extender pin failures, the newer version was a longer pin with a longer thread. I am guessing the uniball holder would have to be a different size to save upsetting the geo. Just guessing really but there is only one part number shown now so don't think there were alternatives.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
First year for the UK (and only, at the time) cup racer had a lot of extender pin failures, the newer version was a longer pin with a longer thread. I am guessing the uniball holder would have to be a different size to save upsetting the geo. Just guessing really but there is only one part number shown now so don't think there were alternatives.

Just looked at my spares and the there are 2 lengths of extender pin, the Euro car have bigger holders and shorter pins and the UK car had smaller holders and longer pins...............!!! Threads are the same length....bet there are cars with a mix and match and dont know.!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Have you got a comparative measurement on the two different pin heights Steve?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Will try and get pics, i have the longer ones fitted but have modded them to be shorter to get a better roll center as its not as low as a cup racer set up with the Reigers on.