ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup rear caliper

172 cup
My ar was in the garage today and i was told i'd need a new rear caliper for my 172 cup. I'd noticed its been sticking a bit recently when letting my handbrake off and pulling away. Any ideas how much they cost roughly?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They all do it mate . The pads rust onto the disc . New calipers are very expensive , about £120 on and exhange basis , sorry thats for a refurbed one. If it really is sticking it will ne the handbrake mechanism , the adjuster screw can rust inside . Its a bit of a ballache to sort to be honest , when you pull it apart there are 5 sprung washers inside that are a right b*tch to get back in , you can alway leave one out though . Take out the adjuster screw , clean it up with some emery cloth , grease it and put it back together then it should be ok .

172 cup
Cheers mate. £120 is a bit steep. Hopefully i can get away without needing a new one.

Daft question but i know brakes/exhausts etc arent covered by the warranty, but surely if its caused by a screw inside the caliper rusting it would be covered by the warranty? Or is that being a bit optimistic?

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ You could try the dealers mate , tell them its seized , they should last a few years you would think , nothing to loose if you go and see them .

Brakes as in pads and discs might not be covered but thats debateable , depends whats wrong with the pads and discs , how many miles , age etc .... , but your exhaust is covered for 2 years i think .

Impreza STI v5
the same thing kept happening to me last winter the both calipers finally sezed on and my cup in the snow was dragging it arse so i took the wheels off and there was massave cracks in both discs, got the hole rear braking system replaced under warranty. My dads pal is a mechanic and he said renaults with discs on the back are bad for this

172 cup
I'll give it a go and try my local dealer. The annoying thing is ive only noticed the sticking 3 or 4 times over the last few months, usually first thing in the morning when i let my handbrake off for the first time, but my brakes have been fine apart from that as i would have noticed.

I only put my car into the garage for a check over as i have a 950 mile drive from Scotland to the south of France in 2 weeks time.

Bugger.