ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup sideways again!

BMW 330d :)

I was driving to see the other half 2nite when i suddenly lost the back end of the car on a slippy roundabout. Managed to apply opposite lock and avoided hitting anything but i had my heart in my mouth for a moment.

I took the roundabout at a low speed, about 20-25 mph but the roads are crap at this time of year and the offside rear tyre has a nail in it which couldnt have helped. Maybe I should get a new tyre instead of pumping it up! It was at 24psi when i checked it afterwards, instead of 31 which the other one was at!

And i was so busy tellin my mum 2nite how i was just about to get 5 years no claims!

Fraser

The exact same thing happend to me not long ago, was going round the roundabout in third doing 25 mph and the back end just slid out. Hit a kerb in the process which damaged my front wheel!!:mad:

It certainly woke me up!!!

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Frasers Cup on 11 March 2005

I was driving to see the other half 2nite when i suddenly lost the back end of the car on a slippy roundabout. Managed to apply opposite lock and avoided hitting anything but i had my heart in my mouth for a moment.

I took the roundabout at a low speed, about 20-25 mph but the roads are crap at this time of year and the offside rear tyre has a nail in it which couldnt have helped. Maybe I should get a new tyre instead of pumping it up! It was at 24psi when i checked it afterwards, instead of 31 which the other one was at!

And i was so busy tellin my mum 2nite how i was just about to get 5 years no claims!

Fraser
doh, what roundabout was that on?

None

Happened to someone on one of the breakfeast runs. There was a post about it but it caused an uproar about dangerous driving etc. Car again was only doing about 25-30mph

My 182 slid out on a roundabout near evesham doing the same thing. Was only doing 25mph but it just went and took a good 1-2 secs ot come back into line. Fortunatley it was really late there was no one near. Really weired though as it was about 6C so way to warm for ice. I was pretty shocked so went for another go and again it started to slip, pretty sure there must of been some diesel or something down there cos it never does this on normal roundabouts.

Weeman sucks ****

I went onto the opposite side of the road the other night ging round a blind 2nd gear slow corner the other night. I know the road well to so know not to welly it there but it was very greasy and thank f**k no one was coming.

Hate this grimey weather. Dry today though.

can i join the club....lost my 182 at 20mph on a roundabout in the dry and no ice....put it down to oil/deisel....will have to watch it in the future

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Ive lost mine twice now&thats with the traction control on! It certainly makes you could your lucky stars.

Banana

i lost mine coming round a bend on a motorway off ramp. managed to recover just short of hitting the armco. damn near soiled myself! when i arrived at work, i could smell diesel off the car. i found out later that there were four crashes there that day, one of which was a workmate.:eek:

Embarrassed to say

My brother is mad, he has total faith in the ESP. I told him you can still spin it even with ESP on if none of the wheels have grip, he wont listen to me.

Wow i thought that it was just due to the lower tyre pressure in the offside rear tyre, but it looks like most 172/182 owners have experienced this. At least i caught it, if i wasnt paying attention i would be straight over the roundabout backwards!

Anyway rory it was the roundabout at homebase in milngavie, just past McDs!

Fraser

cos they generally have wider tyres, more agressive suspension set up which cant work very well when the roads are really slippy. It would prob happen as well with 1.4s though.

Fraser

E91 M Sport

I have had a Hyundai Accident 1.6GLX hire car for the last three days, and could I get sideways? No. But I got in this vehicle from hell after work today, roared out of the car park with the wheels alight and......the engine management light came on and the power steering packed up! Just managed to avoid the wall on the way out. lol

By the way Hertz, you f**kers, dont give me this low quality sh*t again and I wont feel the need to abuse it.

Sorry, feel better for that now. :)

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Frasers Cup on 11 March 2005

Wow i thought that it was just due to the lower tyre pressure in the offside rear tyre, but it looks like most 172/182 owners have experienced this. At least i caught it, if i wasnt paying attention i would be straight over the roundabout backwards!

Anyway rory it was the roundabout at homebase in milngavie, just past McDs!

Fraser

Woops I was quite agressive on that roundabout tonight (after my McDs milkshake!)

Yeah well be careful. U do have a few more safety nets than me though!

And four properly pumped up tyres as well!

Fraser

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Frasers Cup on 12 March 2005

Yeah well be careful. U do have a few more safety nets than me though!

And four properly pumped up tyres as well!

Fraser
id rather be in the cup to be honest, hate all the electrical pish. bring back my 205gti handling

Yeah well i suppose it makes it more relaxing to drive having all these aids which can be switched off anyway. But for rawness its hard to beat a cup!

Fraser