ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Spoiler/Suspension or Not

I have the suspension (and spoilers) - and compared to my brothers standard 172, the ride is rock hard.

So far Ive found it great for blasting around the lanes (trip to work is only 4-5 miles of little B-roads), but it gets a bit wearing when youre on a longer motorway drive. I havent driven the non-cupped 182, but I wonder (if that too is 20% stiffer than a 172) if that might be a better choice for doing 3K per month - I would expect it still to be nice and sharp, but also that little bit more refined.

But - the anthracite wheels do look nicer...

Id say go drive one with and one without back to back and make the decision for yourself, youll only regret your choice later if you dont. personally i dont think the cup pack is a harsh ride ive driven poor b roads with lumps and bumps in them and motorways and the car always feels comfortable and never tiresome to drive. I also agree that you may find it harder to sell on without the cup pack as most people will be looking for cars with it. Thats just my opinion though so go out and drive both its the only way youll be happy.

A silver one

If he chose the Cup Spoiler pack but not suspension, what aftermarket alternatives are there available for the 182? Coilovers etc? And will they give a better ride?

Im thinkin of getting a 182 and would personally go for the Spoilers and Suspension. Not sure what colour though.

Is the 182 available in the Cup red???????????

You can always sort the spoilers later so I wouldnt worry too much about that 1 (be a nice little project)...

But the suspension pack you cant really do so it might be worth going for a test drive with and without ( just go to several dealers if your local doesnt have 1).... thats the only way your really gonna know.

My coilovers on the 172 actually improved the ride as well as taking the bodyroll out and sharpening up the steering. I couldnt say if this is the case with all coilovers as some run different poundage springs so may be firmer. Theres no such thing as cup red there is inferno which is an orange colour and racing blue both of which are cup colours but can be specced on the non cup 182.

dk

911 GTS Cab

I do a lot of motorway miles and the ride is far from harsh, very well dampered! My mates Astra coupe had rock hard suspension but compared to that the cup suspension ride is NOT hard, just very sharp and direct handling which is what you want, best of both worlds.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The set up is so good as standard,why would you want to mess with it after all that has been writen in the past few weeks about the car being brilliant.What are the poundage differences between the standard and modded springs/dampers...not much i guess

Bad idea IMHO...On older cars i can see the point...On a willy for example rather than put standard shocks on it,a nice set of coilovers or whatever would bring it back to life and maybe help it a bit(although standard they are brill)Each to their own i guess

ian

A silver one

phunkey_monkeh and Loony, thanks a lot for explaining about the colours.

I knew it wasnt called Cup Red, but wasnt sure of the exact name. I wasnt sure if those 2 Cup colours could be specced to the 182. Thanks for clearing that up.

there is a colour thread already. i started the fooker.
i am also about to order a 182 and i will be getting the suspesion pack but dont see the point in getting the spoilers. i might look into getting a spoiler at another time but probably an after market one. the spolier pack costs something like 170 pounds and with that i must be able to get a better spolier. who does them? ktec? or are they just performance people? that thing at the front must be worth no more than 6 pence. i saw them make one on blue peter.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Omar,

People keep telling you that you will regret not having the Cup suspension.I dont have it and dont have a single regret.

As people have said who have ACTAULLY driven both cars the difference is not as much as people assume.

Im taking a guess there are people who have the Cup suspension who have never driven standard but are telling you to go for the Cup suspension,they might be suprised how good the standard suspension is.

When i was choosing looks played a part as well and for me standard wheels won by a country mile.

Either way you will love the car,with or without its a cracker :D

[Edited by Funkyjahooner on 17 December 2004 at 10:01pm]

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 17 December 2004
Omar,People keep telling you that you will regret not having the Cup suspension.I dont have it and dont have a single regret.As people have said who have ACTAULLY driven both cars the difference is not as much as people assume.Im taking a guess there are people who have the Cup suspension who have never driven standard but are telling you to go for the Cup suspension,they might be suprised how good the standard suspension is.When i was choosing looks played a part as well and for me standard wheels won by a country mile.Either way you will love the car,with or without its a cracker :D

[Edited by Funkyjahooner on 17 December 2004 at 10:01pm]

you will never miss what you have never had, if I like the cup suspension just fine then the standard can only be worse than what I have, not better?

There are owners who have regretted not buying the cup suspension but i havent heard of any complaining they wish they hadnt (and there are a lot more of us!)

Quote: Originally posted by Nickyboy on 16 December 2004

I have cup spoiler pack but no suspension pack on mine, based purely on the fact that I didnt like the anthracite alloys when the 182 came out. However, as time has gone on, seen them in the flesh etc I do think on most colours they look quite ok.

I have now driven both and as for driving with non cupped suspension, I find the handling very good as it is - the roads I typically use wouldnt enable any real difference to be noticed between the two. However, I do often find myself thinking maybe I should have had it just to make the car complete and not really for any other reason.

[Edited by Nickyboy on 16 December 2004 at 8:02pm]
These are exactly the same thoughts i have! I have driven my mates 182 with cup suspension, it feels so much better through the corners and doesnt feel at all uncomfortable!!!!! BUY IT WITH THE CUP SUSPENSION YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need something on my 182 that will impersonate the cupped version but as yet dont no what??????????????????????? Any ideas?

Rob.

Clio 197

Cup Suspension Ordered....

Thanks guys!

(PS I can always swap for softer springs, if its all unbearable)

Love Oms.

hey the ride is really quite ordinary, not sure what the fuss is about, i also would deffo get the spoilers too as the back spoiler hides the clios ugly back window and makes the back end look loads better

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 17 December 2004

you will never miss what you have never had, if I like the cup suspension just fine then the standard can only be worse than what I have, not better?

There are owners who have regretted not buying the cup suspension but i havent heard of any complaining they wish they hadnt (and there are a lot more of us!)
By the same token you will not miss something you have no desire or need for.If i like the standard suspension just fine then the Cup suspension can only be worse for me based on standard being everything i need and the fact i hate the look of the Cup suspension wheels.For me,having it would be worse overall.

I can accept the Cup suspension handles better but its ride is also harder (When compared to standard and not your mates Astra),maybe you should accept as standard the 182 also handles very well and the difference is not as much as people think,based on what people have said who have ACTUALLY driven both.

Have you ever driven a standard to compare ? You might be suprised how well it handles.Maybe one day ill get out in a Cupped 182 to see if it really is that much better than people who went for the cup version (But have never tried standard) say.I value what people who have tried both say more because its first hand information and not third hand.

Even though there are less of us who chose not to have it i know people who would again not go for the Cup suspension because they find the ride firm enough as it is (And the Cup version can only be harder) and they prefer the look of standard wheels,there is no right or wrong in this debate,its a matter of needs and likes and i love mine 100%,if i miss or regret not having Cup suspension believe me i would say so,but i dont.

Mini Cooper S sport

I do prefer the silver wheels to anthracite though, cos they match the 2.0 16v badges, and I just like shiny silver alloys.

yeh i normally like shiny silver alloys, but on the 182 the shiny silver alloys look cheap and nasty IMHO, and i think anthracite especially suit the racing blue

[Edited by 182blue on 18 December 2004 at 9:30pm]

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 18 December 2004

to most people a clio is a clio, not that likely to attract members of the opposite sex
LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL, did someone miss the joke

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 18 December 2004

yeh i normally like shiny silver alloys, but on the 182 the shiny silver alloys look cheap and nasty IMHO, and i think anthrasite especially suit the racing blue
Yeah they look nice on racing blue, liquid yellow and inferno - but not quite right on silver or black IMHO.

Quote: Originally posted by JAF 182 on 18 December 2004

Does the cup suspension make the driver more attractive to the opposite sex? This IS the question...

Yeah Nicole was begging for it once she caught sight of my new 182! :D

Mini Cooper S sport

yeh i saw a racing blue with silver and it looked horrible and cheap looking.
but anth.. suit all the colours and just look better, i do agree that it somehow makes the car look heavier ?? than my turinis did, but i like them
Ahhh THATS what it is...I could never quite put my finger on it..

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Renault should of matched the 2.0 16v door badges to anthrash1te for these who went for that option IMO

That would make it look a bit better for a start.

Scruffy blue 182

Ive got neither - I do think the cup spoiler is better than standard, but as for the suspension...Im unlikely to thrash it round a track as its the only car Ive got, and I dont drive it into corners on the road like a lunatic either so I guessed the suspension was a bit of a waste on me. Silver wheels are better too....although mine look like cup wheels now because of the weather!

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 18 December 2004

Renault should of matched the 2.0 16v door badges to anthrash1te for these who went for that option IMO
That would make it look a bit better for a start.
Exactly! I like things to match.

some bloke was selling a full set of 182 badges on ebay the other day that had been painted anthr......, they looked good

Astra VXR 17/05/07

some bloke was selling a full set of 182 badges on ebay the other day that had been painted anthr......, they looked good
Im suprised really its not more popular.It would make it look a lot better.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i always liked normal coloured alloys until I saw the 182s anthracite ones and I do really believe they suit the car much better, make it look more menacing and sporty.

RX-8

And just to wind people up I personnally think the cup suspension is a waste of money if you want an actual improvement get the standard and uprate after market as theres nothing between the two on the road in my experience!