ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CUP stereo

Ok, so the standard head unit is rubbish. Would changing it for something better improve the sound or is it really that the speakers are just not very good?

Ill have a budget of about £250-300 and want mp3 capability.

Volvo S60 T5

I got a Sony CDX-MP70 in my car, you can get an adapter for the head up display and sat control to, sounds sweet.

Very good system, dont buy it from Reno as they charge £625.00, do a search on the net you can pick them up for around £250 ish and the adapter you can get from Reno for £100 or do a search on the net you should be able to get one for £50-60.

The head units on the cup aint to good, would recommend upgrading the speakers to a set of infinitys do the job lovely.:)

Ile post a pic of my set up a bit later.

Did you add the head unit before the new speakers Mike? Did it sound ok then?

Ideally Id like the MP70. But getting the right adapter and getting it all fitted might be a bit beyond my budget.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 18 November 2003

Ok, so the standard head unit is rubbish. Would changing it for something better improve the sound or is it really that the speakers are just not very good?

Ill have a budget of about £250-300 and want mp3 capability.
The standard head unit sounds "ok" with better speakers, but upgrading to a decent head unit will make them sound even better.

I changed mine within the first couple of weeks...

get the pioneer 7400mp, amazing stereo...looks amazing, sounds amazing...its amazing!

ive been well chuffed with it, sure you dont get to keep your stalk controls...but...then again...you really dont want sony do you:)

Nissan R35 GT-R

I have replaced all speakers in my car and head unit also.

The volume difference is almost non-existant, but the quality difference is very evident indeed.

Volvo S60 T5

The sony system is really easy to fit, the adapter is just as easy to fit to(you dont have to remove the top part of the dash), took me all of 15 mins to do, the speakers are easy to do to, just unclip the speaker grill unscreww the old ones, fit new connecters to the wires and away you go.

996 Carrera

ive got the m850mp aswell - it does MP3 and im well impressed with it. looks smart at night with the animations playing on the display!

i got mine for £250 and the adaptor was £48 so its within your budget.

E36 323i coupe

OK I bought the Cup for the engine not the stereo, but I dont agree that the standard head unit is crap. It isnt. As standard head units go, its very good. Its a Clarion, so its not going to be sh*te.

IMHO anyway.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 18 November 2003

OK I bought the Cup for the engine not the stereo,
Same here mate! :D

Quote:

but I dont agree that the standard head unit is crap. It isnt. As standard head units go, its very good. Its a Clarion, so its not going to be sh*te.

IMHO anyway.
Well, as I said earlier, the main problem is the speakers and I swapped them first, which made a real difference, but I then swapped the HU and it sounds even better now.

The standard head unit aint mailto:cr@p">cr@p, but it aint the best!

surprisingly the cup head unit is just as bad as all the other variants in the range, shock horror, the cup has a flaw :eek:

the best HU for your budget is the Pioneer DEH-MP77P

end of!!!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 18 November 2003

surprisingly the cup head unit is just as bad as all the other variants in the range, shock horror, the cup has a flaw
Its lower powered than the one in the 172 so worse...

Well it definitely doesnt sound good. A HU change in my 106gti was good enough as the speakers were ok in it.

What make of stalk adapter thingy do I need.

Looks like I need a Sony MP80 (dont do the 70 anymore) and a connects2 adapter to retain stalk+display then. Anyone recommend where to get this? Cheapest Ive seen the MP80 is about £290

GW Clio 200

Sony MP80 looks horrible though D-Cup, surely there is something more suitable that is a bit more aesthetically pleasing to the eye

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by monkeymagic on 18 November 2003

ive got the m850mp aswell - it does MP3 and im well impressed with it. looks smart at night with the animations playing on the display!

i got mine for £250 and the adaptor was £48 so its within your budget.
couldnt agree more. Looks don.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

not sure bout rear...havent done that yet...front is easy look at them and the corner facing the footwell has a little gap where u can slide a flat screw driver in and flip the whole thing out....v easy

Nissan R35 GT-R

The rears are just held in by a series of clips. Its just a case of pulling each part 1 by 1. No tools required.