ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Suspension

Anyone else out there had a problem with their damping on the cup?

Its worst when the cars cold but still there when warmed up, going over speed bumps, pot holes or round a slightly bumpy roundabout reasonably quick sometimes makes the suspension "vibrate" and you can feel it through the steering wheel almost like a hollow rattle? Its as if the dampers arent getting enough time rebound before the next bump and it unsettles the car a bit if youre pushing it hard, but then on a smooth road theres no problem at all.

Is this normal or what?

Suzuki SV1000S

No have taken mine into renault last week and they have changed the suspension mounts or something like that, all covered on the warranty. But do it soon because just gets worse

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The Cup is a firmer ride than a 172 mate.

I was driving my mates 172 for nearly 2 weeks before I got my Cup as Id sold my last car and he was on holiday, so he kindly loaned me his 172. ;)

Anyway, went from that into the Cup and was quite surprised how firm the ride was in comparison!

3rd time ive taken it to renault bout this problem and yesterday was the first time i got someone to take it for a drive with me. But what do ya know, didnt make a sound except for being a little harsh over pot holes.

Problem was the car does a few miles getting there so by the time i get there its warmed up. Spoke to a customer at work whos an AA mechanic and he said not much chance of it being the shocks unless theyre faulty which was unlikely, said its more common to be caused by bent anti-roll bars or something. As i didnt buy the car brand spanking it made me wonder, but ive checked over it thoroughly and nothing seems to be bent, but i havnt checked the suspension mounts yet so ill try that.

Biggest problems getting renault to do anything about it though, if they cant see the problem then they aint gonna fix it.

Ideas please!:confused:!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 02 October 2003

The Cup is a firmer ride than a 172 mate.

I was driving my mates 172 for nearly 2 weeks before I got my Cup as Id sold my last car and he was on holiday, so he kindly loaned me his 172. ;)

Anyway, went from that into the Cup and was quite surprised how firm the ride was in comparison!
What he said ^^

Unfortunatly in general you have to sacrafice some ride comfort for handling, although with a harder ride the tyres tend to just let go when corenering hard, instead of a more progressive slide.

Ziel Nurburgring

Is there a really noticable difference in the hanlding or is that the 172 may have been a bit older and softer round the edges??

If not , how difficult is it to upgrade the 172s kit??

There really is a marked difference, the Cup being a lot taughter with more responsive handling, thats why a lot of people choose it over the 172. ITS RAW, A REAL DRIVERS TOOL.;)

Dont want to cause another 172 / CUP debate you understand.:devilish:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, theyre different...

Ive driven all 3 variants now and theyre all slightly different to each other!

Ziel Nurburgring

Well i like my creature comforts, so i went for the 172. Each to his own. Is the set up totally different or would it be a case of just swapping the bits around and hey presto, a nice tight 172?? Or do people put strut braces on 172s (new to clio tuning)??

Understand what youre saying KDF but its fine on a smooth road, plus i had a williams before i got this and that was lighter with even firmer springs and never had a problem like this, infact suspension was pukka on that, why did i sell it?????

I think I know what you mean mate and to be honest I think it is normal for any sporty car on bad roads to become unsettled on uneven surfaces thats the way they are imo.

My car has eibach springs on and the vibartions are no worse. The handling is miles better tho as it does not dip forward as much under hard breaking which was well scary with the standard setup. Could have been my alignment tho as obviously when I had it lowered the settings were adjusted.