ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Upgade ECU

Nissan R35 GT-R

BenR:

Well theory says that power will increase. Whether it does or doesnt show on the rollers isnt too much of an issue because I have never been one to go by rolling road figures for comparisins seeing as they are primarily a tuning aid.

Im sure the drivability will be improved, and Im sure to notice that. If it doesnt then sod it, its only £200!

Heres an idea. We all have no doubts whatsoever that a nice set of throttle bodies will do wonders (in fact you have proof)! Try and persuade Renault that they are a good idea and that your branch should take over the warranty approved modifications. Go on...make us all happy.

S2000

Steve-Hall,

As far as I am aware the 172/Cup/V6 is actually built/developed by RenaultSport. They have a seperate production line/factory for them. The V6 used to be assembled by TWR, however the MK2 are now being built by RS!!!

FOR THE FINAL TIME IT ISNT WARRANTY APPROVED RING THEM UP AND ASK THEM ARGHGHGHGG I SPOKE TO HIM TODAY. The clio 172 ecu is in the pipeline.

Frosty.....theory says alot of stuff........but how much gain will you get from simple ignition changes and a teeny weeny bit more fuel, as your not going to be increasing VE.

Lie i said, drivability is better, i enjoyed my re-program....it was worth it.

I wish i would do TBs via the Dealer, but i think im going to do it via myself......should be ready by nxt yr.

A lot of very confusing/conflicting posts!!

The R-Sport ECU cannot possibly be the same as the Clio Cup Race Cars for one very simple reason - they use a completely different ECU setup which has no relation to either the 172 or 172 Cup road cars. Plus, the racers are based on a Mk1 172 setup, which doesnt have the fly-by-wire throttle.

Despite all the rumours, the Mk2 172 and 172 Cup share the -same- ECU. The part nos might be different, but this reflects the different model its fitted to - other manufacturers have done this for years! The only reason the Cup -feels- quicker is because its lighter and handles better...period!

5% is bugger all! An 8.5bhp increase will be barely noticeable in terms of sheer power. Ditto the torque. The key here is drive-ability. Hopefully, this is where the real improvements are - ironing out the flat-spots. Bear in mind, R-Sport probably have their hands tied (as well as struggling to get reliable power from an ECU mod) since the engine is already highly tuned and they will have to keep one eye on reliability - after all, Renault wont want them selling these things and then getting a whole load of warranty claims for engine problems, now will they?!

Your £200 would be far better spent on a good track day, with some expert instruction, where you can learn to drive your beloved 172 to the limit (and back home, hopefully!). Learning how to master the cars ability will always out-weigh a few bhp gains from chips and the like.

</rant over>

your fingers ming!!! lol

Look like my mates who bites his nails all day long......big stumpy things! lol

Sorry......:oops:

Nice clean bed sheets though

Nissan R35 GT-R

<CORRECTION target="JJ172">

5% is not bugger-all. Youre right that you may not feel the bhp increase, but how is the drivability improved? Thats right - torque.

A flat-spot is an area where the engine seems a little dull compared to the other areas, so how are they going to improve this flat-spot? Its that magic word again - torque.

Conclusion: 5% is more than bugger all, and is even more significant when you consider that the Cup is lighter, which you have already stated is an important factor!

</CORRECTION>

CTR EK9 turbo

My middle left finger does look quite bad actually. I dont usually bite them, i guess its cos ive been looking on here too much and developed bad habits. It really hurts come to think of it. My fingers arent big, i reckon i could change an oil filter on a 16v. Although i cut my hands to pieces changing a head light bulb! ouch!

CTR EK9 turbo

Ouch! hehe. I get a bit bored so have been using my DV cam. Its not too bad, only cost £100 from http://www.iwantoneofthose.comwww.iwantoneofthose.com and the memory was something like £40 for 128 megs from somewhere else. The video function is the best thing about it - has sound too. You can take vids for as long as your memory lasts, they are displayed in .avi format and are not bad. Night-time filming is crud tho. Ive got some footage of me racing a skyline but you can only see his lights and hear us talking etc and sort of see him going sideways.

yeah, i bought my missis a new IXUS, set me back, but being the man, i have to have better and have a stonker of a digicam......its flippin ace!....quite big though

CTR EK9 turbo

I really want one with a fast "shutter(!?)" speed. The only downside about mine is you have to hold it really steady for ages to get a good pic with plenty of light. But the results are pretty impressive considering the price and the build quality (feels a bit plasticy).

My bros work one cost a pretty penny and goes up to something like 5.2 or maybe higher mega pixels, cost them around £800 i think. Amazing qual pics, but its a bit boat. Id really want one of those digi camcorders and a stand to go on my dash board so that i can capture my victims....

Like I said before the 172/Cup and V6 are developed and built by Renault Sport using a renault shell and all the other bits - whats so difficult to understand about that ? The renault sport line up doesnt include any other vehicles..................however renault have loads of vehicles like the kangoo.........

oh right hehe :D

you would think that they would have learned something from nissan wouldnt you regarding quality control

yup i had a P11 primera si b4 the 172 not 1 problem with it in 55k miles the sunderland plant is the most quality controlled plant in the world

blimey well i must have been in some real sh*tters cuz my opinion of nissan is pretty low and dont even start me on the handling (or lack of) on the bubble shaped micra

A bluebirds going a bit far back!

As far as the ECU is concerned it sounds like a waste of money. There is no driveability problems with the Cup, i was expecting stonking performance to push it well ahead of poxy mini cooper s packages. Im sorely disappointed :cry:

hehe what you on about the bubble micra rocks only car i have driven that has really shaken me up driving at no more than 30 mph on a country road lol

try to negotiate a corner or roundabout at more then 20mph and its "fcuk me can we turn now please!!!! hello steering wheel to front wheels WAKE UP!!" i found the only way to make any progress was to throw the whole car sideways then you might have some hope of exiting pointing down the road not at the kerb

S2000

Nissan are in a different league as far as build quality and reliabilty goes. Neil82Cup(brother) had a P11 SRi, not a single rattle after 45K, those engines will last at least until the next millenium!!!! It was modded to buggery as well.

to clear it up cupsize.........no.

ONLY the V6 was ever made by RenaultSport the outside company. Initially the V6 was contracted to TWR, but after the first few, quality was soooo poor that Renault moved it over to RenaultSport to continue production midway though.

THe 172 AND the CUP are both made by Renault in a big factory. The DIeppe factory is TINY and they done have the time nor space or even capacity for the production numbers of cups and 172s.

RenaultSport may of helped sorth them, but they sure as hell done make them.

I have just ordered one of these cup ecus. I will try and get down my mates rolling road over the next few days and post my before and after results.

Scott

CTR EK9 turbo

Yeah, i thought renaultsport just advised mods to be done at the normal factories. Like the suspension geometry/wheels etc etc.

Is it true the ports are gas flowed by mechachrome - im trying to find out where i read that from!?

So does anyone have any idea if the promised mods are to take place, and if so when?

This isnt even funny anymore.........I need more power and a sweet sounding exhaust

no, the heads are still untouched castings....abr the normal bit of machining, but teh castings are very very good....they are not touched by hand.

Mechachrome helped Renault design the head , so ive heard. Back in the days when Mechachrome did the former Renault engine for the Williams F1 team.

Thats funny Ben R coz I have photos of 172/Cups being worked on at the Renault Sport factory? alongside the V6s............?

yeah but these were being made - regardless, its a renaultSport car not a renault...............there is a differnce - the same as an M- badged Beemer, or an AMG badged Merc - different companies (sister companies actually) with , different tuners, different input, marketed and sold under there corporate badges, ie Renault, BMW and Mercedes of course, but there is a difference.

Nissan R35 GT-R

RobFenn:

What do you expect a SuperChips can do that the R Sport ECU doesnt? More power? No!

The only reason it looks like SuperChips produce such good results is because a lot of the cars they produce chips for are turbocharged cars. They increase the boost levels on these cars and then write new ignition and injection maps to match. This is why the gains are so dramatic.

Their gains on a normally aspirated car are no greater than anyone else could do whilst keeping everything else standard.

Well is Rsports 5% increase impressive to you?

Ideally id get a chip as 172s seem to run lean on the basic mods. The rsport ecu doesnt have a warranty, superchips will.

Nissan R35 GT-R

For the last time the R Sport one has a full warranty.

I have spoken to R Sport loads. Do you think Id be putting it on my car tomorrow if it invalidated the warranty?