ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup vs 172 Sport MK2

Clio 197 F1
Due to pick up my mk2 172 in a few weeks, just wondering really from the people who own or have owned either/both? What made you choose one over the other. Obviously i know the sport will have a few more luxuries and the cup will be marginally faster but what made you people choose either one.

Thanks
Matt

Nimbus Clio 197
you've hit the nail on the head there mate! i wasnt so bothered about aircon and leather at the time, so went for the Cup for a few extra grins. plus my mate has a normal 172, so had to be a bit different i guess.... :)

Clio 197 F1
Yeah i just wonder how many people would want a marginly quicker car and knock the luxuries on the head. One thing i love about the cups is the colour blue you can get and the alloys it comes with, better than the sports i think.

VaVa
I thought about a Cup until I realised people would see me as some kind of second class citizen for buying a cheapo version of an already cheap French car. ;)

Seriously though, for me, the 172 FF represented better value in terms of spec v's cost. Whereas for other people the Cup represented better value in terms of performance v's cost. It's horses for courses as they say.

I figured that the difference in performance was smaller than the difference in spec, thus went for the 172.

Clio 197 F1
it wasnt a thread to cause debate, just wanted a few opinions that was all. so if you got nothing good to say matt the cat shut your mouth

Nimbus Clio 197
yep, the colour is cracking too! like matt says, if u do a forum search theres a load of these threads with varying opinions.....

106 GTi
Surely it just comes down to weather you want the toys or not?

I knew I wanted leather etc so the decision was easy, if you want a raw, no frills model - go Cup.

RenaultSport clio 172 cup
ive had the pleasure of owning both. i got pissed off with the automatic everything on the 172, so i opted for the cup this time around. performance aint much different really but it is cheap on the inside. i do preffer the cup though, 172 is too common

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I went for the 172 sport Mk 2 because of the interior, and the gadgets i do like E.S.P.
I would love either a 172 Cup, or Trophy as a second car though.

A4 Avant & A3
i always wanted a cup.. .mainly for the looks.. i love the colour & wasn't really bothered about leather and automatic bits.
Although i did like the thought of Climate control, & found 172 cup with cc, so pleased as.....

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
love the colour, think the spolier pack looks better too, and the way the allloys 'fill' the arches with its wider track.... compare the two side by side and you will see

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Well I’m young, so I don’t need all of them toys like aircon an abs! Well maybe i do need the abs from time to time.. But I prefer the stunning looks of the BLUE 172 Cup, and its less common, alloys are just sexy compared to the standard ones! An it handles better.. Not sure how much more better though i just go on what people say!

I know its was cheaper to buy one bran new.. But when I was looking to buy.. If you got a 52 Reg, 172 and 52 Reg 172 Cup.. the 172 cup would cost about the same? Or am i just totally wrong :)

Flame172 said:
it wasnt a thread to cause debate, just wanted a few opinions that was all. so if you got nothing good to say matt the cat shut your mouth

looking at the number of posts you have made, ie 7, its obvious that you are not aware of the frequent heated debates that arise following this sort of question.

If you read the rules on posting, it suggests searching for a topic first. So my friend, coil your tongue back in and do a little search. ;)

106 GTi
ralph wiggum said:
PMSL dont think some how

no frills yeah raw no, raw is a caterham or a atom where u get a engine and seats ,

a cup is hardly raw LOL

Maybe I exagerrated slightly then!

furry_cup said:
at the end of the day, a cup will always beat a mk1 172, mk2 172 and a 182. easy!!!

Funny, EVO mag have timed the 182cup and the 172 cup as:

182 cup 0-60: 6.6, 0-100 17.5 max 139
172 cup 0-60: 6.5, 0-100 17.7 max 138

that tells me theres nowt in it. they could of course by lying and the 172cup would beat them all easy! :S

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i might be wrong but didn't a 172 cup even go as far as having a thinner windscreen than a ff??!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Big huge can of worms which will never be settled but when it comes down to it, none of the RenaultSports are slow! Some are maybe a wee bit quicker and some might be a wee bit comfier, different strokes for differnt folks! Your never gonna be that far behind a cup, standard for standard.

Clio 172 mk2
Probably not much in it in terms of real world driving.

I went for a 172 (non cup) as I liked the abs, aircon and toys....plus I don't like the WRC style blue cups come in.

Just a matter of preference really

Lol you people are talking about a slight fraction of a second. It's down to the driver not the car. All the Clio Sports are so close. You get a 172 Mk2 driver vs a 172 Cup and the 172 Mk2 driver is better at something as simple as changing gear quicker then he wins. It's not like the cup has 100 more horses that it's gonna go flying passed you.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
When I was buying mine I had this dilemma, but in the end I went for the Cup.

The main reasons were...

- Colour
- Alloys
- Spoiler & splitter
- Blue interior details
- Uprated handling
- Considerable weight saving
- Quicker
- Rarer

Price wasn't really a factor, I could afford to buy either of them brand new, but I just loved the Cup.

Now the 182 with the Cup packs eliminates most of those factors, so if I were buying new again when the 182 Sport & Cup were current, I'd have gone for the Sport that time I think, the 182 Cup was more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
r-jay said:
if you want a raw, no frills model - go Cup.

Well I went from a 306 Rallye to a 172 Cup, and to be honest the Cup was positively luxurious compared to the Rallye!

You still get a decent spec in the Clio, so they're not as raw and no frills as people like to claim...

It's just that the full fat Sport models are overly specced for a hot hatch IMO

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
gt_gaz said:
i might be wrong but didn't a 172 cup even go as far as having a thinner windscreen than a ff??!

Yeah, it wasn't just a case of ditching the extra's in the Cup, they made lots of weight saving changes including using thinner glass.

But a saving of 82kg is a hell of a lot!

VaVa
'Overly specced'?? What that supposed to mean?? They're too well specced?? Do me a favour!! LOL.

Oh and it' 89Kg, allegedly ;)

I've driven both back to back and the biggest difference was in the handling, not the straight line speed. The Cup does 'feel' more raw, but I think thats mostly because the harsh sounding engine is less muted due to lack of soundproofing.

My 172 was marginally quicker than my mates Cup from 30 upto a ton. I would say 9/10 the Cup will be quicker, but the cars seem to vary so much in terms of power output that it really depends on whether you end up with a 'good un' or a 'bad un'. The driver also plays a big part - I would say I've probably knocked well over a secong off my 30-100 just by learning to change gear at the right time.

172 vs Cup both running as they should with same driver Cup will always be faster, not by a huge ammount but it will still pull away. There is no arguing about that.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
'Overly specced'?? What that supposed to mean?? They're too well specced?? Do me a favour!! LOL.

Cruise control... chilled glovebox... need I go on... :rasp:

There's no need for all these toys IMO, some yes, but it's a hot hatch not a luxury car! :rolleyes:

Leather, electrics and possibly aircon are ok, the mk1 172 was probably specced about right for a hot hatch, the later incarnations just gained more & more.

My point is that toys are not what a hot hatch is about.

Oh and it' 89Kg, allegedly ;)

Yeah, my bad I should know that! :eek:

I've driven both back to back and the biggest difference was in the handling, not the straight line speed. The Cup does 'feel' more raw, but I think thats mostly because the harsh sounding engine is less muted due to lack of soundproofing.

I've also driven both back to back and there is a difference in the way the Cup feels in comparison.

Not a great deal of speed between them in the road though.

My 172 was marginally quicker than my mates Cup from 30 upto a ton. I would say 9/10 the Cup will be quicker, but the cars seem to vary so much in terms of power output that it really depends on whether you end up with a 'good un' or a 'bad un'. The driver also plays a big part - I would say I've probably knocked well over a secong off my 30-100 just by learning to change gear at the right time.

Good & bad examples though, you know how much they all vary...

My old Cup was really good, showed up at the RR day with it being oddly strong in the mid range, which is where you want it for that kind of comparison.

VaVa
Fair points Rich. For me, I want as much as I can for as little money. So the 172 was a no brainer for me. If it was pure performance ( and I'm not arguing that, on the whole, the Cup IS a faster car) your after the Cup was perfect and was untouchable brand new as far as bang per buck goes.

Didn't they say you couldn't go faster for under £20,000 at one point?

Have to say I was dissapointed that an old stager like yourself got the weight wrong!!:clown: ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Fair points Rich. For me, I want as much as I can for as little money. So the 172 was a no brainer for me. If it was pure performance ( and I'm not arguing that, on the whole, the Cup IS a faster car) your after the Cup was perfect and was untouchable brand new as far as bang per buck goes.

Yeah, the Cup does lack some fairly basic essentials, like ABS for one and those seats are not great, but there is some stuff on the 172/182 you just don't really need like auto lights, auto wipers, etc...

Didn't they say you couldn't go faster for under £20,000 at one point?

Yup, was either Evo or Autocar!

Have to say I was dissapointed that an old stager like yourself got the weight wrong!!:clown: ;)

Hangover... :dapprove: