ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup wider track......

because the width of the rims on the cup are 7.5 as opposed to the 7 inch ones on the standard 172! Had mine measured for computer wheel balancing and the calipers measured 7.5, so that would count for the extra inch 25mm wider track combined with a different offset too!

C

Cupster

How tidy is that!!! 7.5 eh im looking to get new rims but thought I had to limit myself to 7s. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

C

Cupster

I think the cup has lower and stiffer front springs than the 172 also.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by zedx19 on 11 March 2003

So could you just put wider rims on the 172 and improve the handling? Or am I being dumb?
yes .. i guess you could, although I am sure it would increase tramlining aswell

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Out of interest, has anyone actually driven both the 172 and Cup for some time (not just a test drive)? I know some mag like Evo tested the Cup and 172 and the Cup was 2 seconds quicker round the track, but how much quicker is it really on the road with the average driver?

S2000

Zedx19,

On the road it transfers to not a lot! Ill be doing further experiments with my brother when he gets his, should be fun!

According to the cup brochure the cup is 3mm lower wider track because of a different offset but no mention of stiffer springs. It also quotes 0-400 m in 14.9. Its a quick car but compared to my scooby its not too exciting, but then again i bought it for the wife who doesnt care as long as it looks good. Fab car though

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Well its not even in the same league as a scooby, thats why its only £11500 as opposed to 20k plus for a scooby!

I wouldnt think it would transfer a lot on the road, just thinking whether its really worth sacrificing luxuries for speed and handling.

I dont know look at the figures for a cup and impreza wrx and there isnt much in it of course mine isnt standard so no your correct the impreza is in a different league. As for sacrificing luxuries for speed and handling i havnt missed air con xenon half leather and so on, the other thing is how many cups to 172 sports, you dont see the cup as much, which for me is better than luxuries

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Good point Scooby dude, you dont see many Cups, but then again I havent seen many 172s! But the Cup looks like it can shift, the 172 is a more suttle looks more like a 1.2 16v Clio. What Im gettin at is that you could annoy a lot of rep mobiles, boy racers etc thinking its a ickle Clio in the 172. The Cup looks faster if that makes sense!

Yeah know what your saying m8 the wife wanted the cup because of the colour and the wheels and to be different. Visually i dont think there is much difference in the cup and 172 sport but for me the cup has the edge maybe its the colour

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by S600HBY on 11 March 2003

" the other thing is how many cups to 172 sports, you dont see the cup as much,"

Around my way the CUP is spreading like the BLUE VTR, BLUE VTS, and not to mention the BLUE Scooby virus.

Come on you BLUES !

A wheel width is measured where the tyre bead sits so you need the tyre off to measure it.

If you measure the outside of a wheel rim it is around half an inch bigger so a 7" would measure 7.5"

C

Cupster

And the truth shall set you free...... or sumthin??

Paul: Have you still got the larger Turinis for sale??? They looked really nice in the photo on post your car pics