ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom bodywork advice needed!!!

BMW 320d Sport

Right, Im just back off holiday and then going to Hill Power, the rolling road day and the Southend meet tomorrow! But then Ive got two weeks to get the mean machine ready for the Donny South show.

Now my bumper and bonnet are covered in stone chips and I reckon I can bag a front end respray by then. But if Im gonna respray it I might as well get busy with a few custom mods. Ive already worked out the shape I need with deeper inlets at the front and prominent ramscoops on each side. I want to extend the bumper downwards though, without resorting to the old Ibiza splitter. I want it totally custom so how do I go about adding the lower valance to my existing bumper?

Im thinking of making a full width splitter I want out of wood, painting it in PVA, fibreglassing the shape over the top of the wood original. Then using the fibreglass reversed shape as a master to make my final shape that will go under the bumper. Then I assume I can fit it up and use more fibreglass or filler or something to smooth in the new bit onto the old bumper.

Anyone got any ideas about this? Ive never done any custom bodywork before and never used fibreglass or filler!

Your best bet for that are area is Criag at blade.(fiesta moxpower) His workshop is in Dambury Chelmsford. So not much of treck. Hes quite cheap and let u go as mad as u want and he can get them out quite quickly. Look at www.blade-streetmods.co.uk, if u want his number email me on johnst101@hotmail.com

dunno where ya based m8 but u could talk to my m8 at type k styling. hes currently building 2 cover cars, all with custom bits.

email me if interested on matt_hillsmith@hotmail.com.

hes based in leatherhead surrey

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah the thing is Im short on cash and can only afford the respray so all the donkey work Im doing myself.

And Wongy the idea is I want something no one else has got. I had some mental ideas when I was on holiday and it will look mean once its done. Think along the lines of an Elise style full-width rear diffuser in carbon, and an unfussy front end with the round mini fogs sunk flush into sculpted recesses with two whopping ram-scoops, one either side. Maybe filling the number plate recess and putting the plate to one side out of the way as well.

Lionel Richie

You can use Styrofoam cut into shape, then the fibreglass is layed over it and you can then dig out the styrofoam once the FG has set

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

i think he means the blue stuff, its expanded styrofoam, a bit like oasis for flower arranging but harder. instead of digging it out you should be able to find something that will melt it. Certain putty fillers work, as i found out mby mistake, doh.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Does anyone know where you can get some by the way, as its ideal for custom bodywork, ram scoops etc. Used it all the time in CDT in school. Ahh CDT...