ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting After market springs?

So ive got some FK AK Lowering springs on my car at the moment, and my mechanic was running me through some options to get it lower, coilies are kind of out the question at £300-£500 for a set. what are your views on cutting them? yay or nay?

330i. E30 Touring.
Cutting springs is gypsy.

Fact.

Spend the money and do it properly or risk hitting a hedge backwards.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cutting springs? And a mechanic recommended this?

Tip, get a new mechanic.

Ged

PD130 Peach
the best thing i ever heard from a consett lad is "cutting springs is fine, as long as you do it properly" lmao!

Listerine & Poledo
remove the springs altogether and just run on bump rubbers.

It'll have pretty much the same handling characteristics and you wont get any lower

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I remember my younger years, a friend cut his springs on a 309, it was an awesome car! Think he replaced about 8 n/s wheels and tyres in that time.

Don't be stupid buy the correct length spring. I have seen a friend of my brothers hit a wall due to the "cut" springs dislodging and causing him to lose control

Surely just buy the lowest springs you can find....swap your springs....sell your springs to recoup some pennies.

Don't chop springs, there really is no "right" way to do it. Oh, and you willl probably end up needing new shocks soon enough so consider that too.

phase 1 flamer 172
Ive cut springs down before, not on the clio, obviously if too many coils are cut the springs will dislocate as will a professionally bought spring if its too short. The ends also need reforming to look like they did before which requires heat.im not reccomending it but ive seen worse things.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I ran chopped springs on many a car when I was young.

Xr2s, xr3is, RS Turbo. Never crashed once.

Haters gonna hate

Renault Clio 182
Remove the springs replace with bottle jacks that way you can adjust the ride height as and when you need to, Next best thing from cutting your springs

All about hydraulics.

Thanks for every ones opinions. I would just like to state if some people didn't realise that i was asking for advice, not to be told that i need to be removed from the gene pool? some people these days...:headno:

Much appreciated fella's will be going for the proper coilies then( and he wont be fitting them! ) , any links if possible?;)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I ran chopped springs on many a car when I was young.

Xr2s, xr3is, RS Turbo. Never crashed once.

Haters gonna hate

funny that, me too. Even built a drift car on chopped springs once LOL

If anyone that's posted so far on here can give an ACTUAL reason for not cutting a spring (apart from it seating correctly which can be overcome) I'll be very very surprised.

It's probably not going to be the best for good handling however as the spring rates will raise with every coil that's removed.

Rears can't be done as they're pigtailed.

It's not a service I'd provide, but there definitely is a correct way to do it

Gave K-tec a call they said not too much of a wide range, only V-max for £319. Had a look at some rokkor ones, they look promising.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
funny that, me too. Even built a drift car on chopped springs once LOL

If anyone that's posted so far on here can give an ACTUAL reason for not cutting a spring (apart from it seating correctly which can be overcome) I'll be very very surprised.

It's probably not going to be the best for good handling however as the spring rates will raise with every coil that's removed.

Rears can't be done as they're pigtailed.

It's not a service I'd provide, but there definitely is a correct way to do it

Youn 'uns these days eh Dan? They dont know theyre born, lol