ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting question

LY 200 EDC LUX
Alright guys,

Quick question. I'm current detailing a dark blue 3-series. Its got quite a few swirl marks so I'm getting rid of them......or at least trying to. I'm using a megs 220 with 105 and the brown pad, then megs finishing compound with the yellow pad. For some reason, its not moving a fair few of the swirl marks and I don't know why?

Im applying the cutting compound, doing 2-3 passes (speed of 3-4) with slight pressure, then another 2-3 with less pressure, then removing with a microfibre cloth. I repeat the process with the finishing compound / yellow pad.

Any help / tips much appreciated!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Search for junkmans videos on YouTube on how to use a DA and correcting.

More often than not, myself including, it's typically technique that's at fault

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are you using a DA or a rotary? BMW paint is nearly as hard as Granite so does need effort.

LY 200 EDC LUX
Search for junkmans videos on YouTube on how to use a DA and correcting.

More often than not, myself including, it's typically technique that's at fault

im gonna take a look tonight. Although I find the 'built-in' advertising on his videos very irritating. The claybar one is the best lol!

Are you using a DA or a rotary? BMW paint is nearly as hard as Granite so does need effort.

DA mate.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The biggest thing I have to remind myself when using my DA is to remember to let it spin. So many times I get caught up in the moment and end up pressing too hard and then voila, it's doing sweet fcuk all.

I personally think that practice is first priority and then product is second. Because I now do it every day, i'm getting better results with sub £5 products than I was when I was a newbie using the big expensive brands.

(I don't mean that to come across patronising so sorry if it has)

LY 200 EDC LUX
BMW paint is mega hard mate, not like other cars.

good to know and ill bear it n mind, cheers!

The biggest thing I have to remind myself when using my DA is to remember to let it spin. So many times I get caught up in the moment and end up pressing too hard and then voila, it's doing sweet fcuk all.

I personally think that practice is first priority and then product is second. Because I now do it every day, i'm getting better results with sub £5 products than I was when I was a newbie using the big expensive brands.

(I don't mean that to come across patronising so sorry if it has)

not at all patronising mate, appreciate the advice. I've done cars before with fairly good results, but am baffled by this Beemer (its the first Beemer I've done too). I will put it down to paint being overly hard. I know what you mean about pressing down too hard and the DA not actually spinning though, I've done it many times!