ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting question

LY 200 EDC LUX
quick one guys,

I seem to get an awful lot of dust whilst I'm cutting. Good results, but dust galore. Currently using green hex pads with megs 105 and a G220 DA. I have tried lightly moisting the pad with a spray of water, but it makes no difference after a couple of passes.

Any ideas?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Too much product, or
creating too much heat and drying it all out, or
dirty pads.

All things you can remedy with a bit of practice/experience.

LY 200 EDC LUX
I think I may be using too much product. I do use a fair bit. I'll try it with a bit less next time. Certainly not a dirty pad as it was a brand new one.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What speeds are you going at?

As for product, I put 3 pea sized bits on a pad that's been misted 3 times with water and that will do half a bonnet as long as the weather isn't too hot.

LY 200 EDC LUX
I start at 2/3 and do a few passes to spread the product, then go up to 5 ish for the remainder.

I clearly use a lot more product than you lol! I think that's where I'm going wrong

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Whats a good speed to polish with - Ive got a DAS 6 (kestrel) and I too am getting loads of dust - I do probably use too much product though.
Will faster speed get it done quicker

My Das 6 has a knob that goes from 1 to 6

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whats a good speed to polish with - Ive got a DAS 6 (kestrel) and I too am getting loads of dust - I do probably use too much product though.

I spread it with 2/3 and then polish on 4/5 depending on how bad the paint is.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Spread the polish on 3

Work it on 4/5

Cut with speed 6

Polish out your inflicted marks with speed 3

Make sure the pad is spinning at the same rate on each speed

Moro Blue Audi TT
Try a little more pressure its hard to burn through paint with a da anyways unless your a donut .... try speed 3 for a few passes than go to 5 should be spot on .. i dont prep pad as it naturely gets moist with the movement and compound spreading round pad

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Don't listen to the man above. Priming your pad is vitally important. It's the sole reason wet applicators are better to use when using your hand polishing etc.

Anyway, have you watch many videos? Also you should be cleaning your pad after each "set" as unspent polish will simply sit and dust away. Don't forget dust isn't always bad, look at Jim White's details, during Fast cut compounding it's almost impossible to end up with zero dust.

I would also maybe look at some newer polishes like Scholl and Koch Chemie stuff. Some are pretty low dusting due to new technology etc.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Last time I polished (quite a while ago now! 😊) I found that adding a pea of Lime Prime to the pad cut down on dust.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Oh, I only used it for a quick blast but only had the on/off switch, how do you adjust the speed?