ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting springs

Iceberg 172
Hi all,
My mate has a vauxhall vectra and he wants to cut his standard springs in half to lower his car but a cheap way! I said its dodgy as f**k and stop being a stingy dick and buy some proper springs and that its dangerous ! After me stressing about how dangerous it was he still wants to go ahead a do it! Am I right in saying its wrong and can cause damage? If you guys back me up he might listen!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
One or two coils would be ok, not sure about half the spring. He just needs to be careful the springs don't pop out going over bumps.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Won't pass it's MOT that's for sure. Can't see it causing any damage though.

RS6 C7
It's a stupid stupid idea! , Only reason i can think of cutting springs is to see how the car will sit before purchasing other suspension.

It's pikey as f**k.

182cup & 172 racecar
One or two coils would be ok, not sure about half the spring. He just needs to be careful the springs don't pop out going over bumps.

Not so, cutting springs is dangerous, and should not even attempted. Don't even care if Joey down the road with his low's Astra say's it's alright.

Springs are rated from end to end, so don't go cutting one of the ends off.

If he's a good mate tell him.

If not, let him die.

clio 172
guys off his nut tbh if he is cutting it in half the spring could fall out lol if he coming up with those bright ideas he might not even cut them the same size, if he's stopped and police notice it or if he's stopped at vosa check site they will chop his nuts off and hang them out to dry

unroadworthy vehicle, will void mot and no doubt insurance and you wont see that car again

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Not so, cutting springs is dangerous, and should not even attempted. Don't even care if Joey down the road with his low's Astra say's it's alright.

Springs are rated from end to end, so don't go cutting one of the ends off.

If he's a good mate tell him.

If not, let him die.

But surely he would be fine if he was pottering about to work and back etc?

If he was trying to hit every apex at license losing speeds then I could understand.

182cup & 172 racecar
But surely he would be fine if he was pottering about to work and back etc?

If he was trying to hit every apex at license losing speeds then I could understand.

Are you trying to wind me up tonight Liam?? If so, don't.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Most stupid suggestion ive heard in a long time, if he thinks it's safe and secure ask him to go and ask the local MOT station or an opinion before he does it!!

£100 on springs, job jobbed!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Vectra. Cutting springs.

Hmm. Why do stereotypes have to be so stereotypical?!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
This guy...

darwin_gallery5.jpg

...may very well have been on to something.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
The main issue I see here is the Vectra. What type of person goes out to purchase a car, and with the choice of buying ANYTHING else they come back with a Vectra? Why is he your mate?

This video is worse. A quick tip indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHOxufdGo_A&

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Nothing wrong with vectra's

My first car was a 2.0 diesel one and it was brilliant.. Alot of our customers have them and have never had any problems with them..

On topic:

Tell your mate he is a berk... Stop being a tight f**k and buy some springs its not like they cost a fortune...

Iceberg 172
I no iv never understood why he bought a vectra I personally hate the cars and as for chopping the springs I think he's a tight git lol he has money he's just a hoarder

phase 1 flamer 172
Nothing wrong with cutting springs, as long as they arent cut too much so they can dislocate , and the ends are reformed to original spec, done it several times when money has been short and im still around. Removing a coil or so will make the spring slightly stiffer anyway and you may make something very similiar to what you can buy.

SQ5
Nothing wrong with cutting springs, as long as they arent cut too much so they can dislocate , and the ends are reformed to original spec, done it several times when money has been short and im still around. Removing a coil or so will make the spring slightly stiffer anyway and you may make something very similiar to what you can buy.

Don't be a ****.

Everything is wrong with cutting springs.