ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cycling portrait test

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
Decided to try and do some sports portraiture as its something different. Never done 3 light set up before so again a new challenge. Moving stuff im still not happy on, Having A heads on my ranger I expected things different, although on my 1D i have had it back a few times for AF issues :(

Used 95cm cheapy octabox on the ranger head other than the real headshots where the BD was boomed over head. Still not getting the dish right, a bit to heavy usually on the forehead.

RYAN0015.jpg

RYAN0035.jpg

RYAN0041.jpg

RYAN0060-1.jpg

RYAN0090.jpg

RYAN0125.jpg

RYAN0046.jpg

Nice shots Ryan, quite grateful you've posted these TBH, my days off will be spent researching some Bike Photography, got a few things coming up soon.

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
I wanted to do a bit more, I have some more ideas but alas ran out of time.

I have some more ideas, really want to see if using my 1d mkII gives better results with the AF etc..

Lights - Main elinchrom ranger pack + a Head (either octabox/BD)
430 and 580 used for rim.

Standard 3 light set up really, shadows/highlights shows where from

Mk2 ph1 clio
I wanted to do a bit more, I have some more ideas but alas ran out of time.

I have some more ideas, really want to see if using my 1d mkII gives better results with the AF etc..

Lights - Main elinchrom ranger pack + a Head (either octabox/BD)
430 and 580 used for rim.

Standard 3 light set up really, shadows/highlights shows where from

Whatever you are using now, your 1D Mkii's AF will be 100% faster more accurate. I speak from experience of using that body!

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
The mkiii has notorious AF problems. It's the only reason I went for the mkii!

I went for a non in serial number body but still have had issues.

Problem is the files on the MKiin are just not as nice, colours not as good and then high iso stuff is pants. Mkiv on the list i think to solve the issues all round. Shame I had to replace a shutter on the mkii last year as theyre worth naff all now

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
ok wee update. Got fed up with alot of people moaning about the sky elsewhere (even though it was a flat crap sky on the day).. Dont usually do much PP work and bloody hate it.

1-3.jpg

Does the sky look obviously fake/chopped in?

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
guess my photoshop skills are not utter shite then (either that or i got lucky).

Some of the others the less shallow DOF is going to cause issues I think. O why didnt I get sky like today!