ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D11CUP RB182 project thread

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Update...

IMG_0466.jpg

NV

Great updates mate but that first wheel looks foooooked!:(

2004 Racing Blue 182
As a side note. Whoever fitted the wheels last was taking the piss with how tight they put the nuts on!!!

I had the get the big breaker bar out and stand on it to get them off!

All torqued up properly now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 Racing Blue 182
Another update...

Decided to tackle the stereo and climate control panel today.

I took the crappy looking cc panel that I bought off eBay apart and removed the screen, no pics of this sorry.

Took the cc panel out the car and swapped screens over. Nice simple job.

2b74a2ed271bbb8254ee28b2479d59eb.jpg

Next was the stereo and the steering remote.

At the moment my column has a blanking plate where the remote used to be

42524ec6fb9004ebf7c632652ce7f4e0.jpg

So dismantled the column and tried to refit the remote only to find that there are missing tabs on the top of it, so it won’t lock into place

11039c31bef13dfdfb0890cd9f0e330e.jpg

So I’ve replaced the blanking plate and ordered another remote.

Next was to get the stereo to stop falling out of the dash.

Took the old battered cage out to replace with a new one, wired all the new connect2 leads in to active the remote and tidy up all the horrid wiring that was in there.

8be776d8c0d4347ebf6630c42a97f482.jpg

After knocking one of the cc plugs out as I was tidying the wiring up and refitting everything, had to pull everything out again, that’s now sorted and everything works as it should.

62f16d1cfefca2bb19b5137a02f62b01.jpg

Also have the added bonus of the top display reading ‘RENAULT’ where before it didn’t say anything!

The eagle eye amongst you will notice that there isn’t a surround on the stereo. This is because the one I have isn’t for this stereo and won’t fit, which leads me to believe this is why the stereo wasn’t seated in the dash properly because it will clip on if the stereo isn’t flush with the dash! New surround ordered!

So all in all, a simple but somewhat frustrating morning! Rewarding though, as I now know that once I have a remote, it’s plug and play, and the surround should go in properly once I have the correct one. And my cc shows 2 numbers in the display not just the 2nd one!

NV

That's a very satisfying job done there, would do my head in only having half the screen working lol! With the remote, I know the blank looks neat but I don't get why anyone would remove it in the first place, each to their own I guess - with the steering controls, did you get the car specific adaptor lead and Alpine patch lead? That's what I've got in mine and the controls all work as they would with the standard stereo. I also have Renault displayed which looks smart!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Radio fitting is always a ballache, Sooo many wires to stuff in the dash! Is your alpine a newish model? I need the remote connector for mine as trying to turn the volume up a little is a struggle with the rotary knob. Hit a bump while doing it and deafen yourself! Do you have a link to the connectors you bought?

2004 Racing Blue 182
  2004 Racing Blue 182
Sort of an update:

Been to a highly recommended and local detailer today to find out about correcting the paint where the stripes were, he noticed that the N/S/F wing is a lighter shade than the rest of the car and has some orange peel effect as a result. Which now that he has pointed it out, it could’nt be more obvious [emoji23]

To have the wing resprayed and blended into the rest of the surrounding panels by a Bodyshop which the detailer recommended is £500 and for a full paint correction detail is £400 so £900 total!

Undecided if I can live with the stripes and wing. I very much doubt it, but paying out £900 at the minute is a no go so I guess I’ll have to stick with it. So not a cracking start to the week [emoji23]

He did say that he can do some paint correction on the bonnet, roof and boot lid to remove the stripes for £175 but that would stand out over the rest of the car.

So time to think about where I stand with the paint!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Buy a da polisher and do it yourself. Won't be professional standard but will make a big difference

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Yea I should imagine it’s due to the wing being plastic. I know my roof rails are a lighter shade and it pisses me off! What is the other side like?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Which bodyshop did he recommend? Not his mates? 🙈

I have a DA, I'm not very good but we could try give it a going over if you wanted?

The wing looks fine tbh, they're all a different colour because plastic. If you compare it to the bumper it's probably not far off the same.

2004 Racing Blue 182
To be honest @Louis I think I’ll buy a DA and have a go myself. I’m defo not paying that kind of money. I’d rather go on holiday!

He has since recommended a couple other Bodyshops in the area so I may go and have a chat to those guys. Can’t hurt to get quotes.

2004 Racing Blue 182
CJR in Shelf, Impact in Brighouse and Top Coat in Halifax were the three he recommended mate [emoji1303]

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
That wing is a replacement wing - I know as the only mark on the car was a small mark on top of the original wing when I saw it a couple of months ago and the previous owner therefore changed it recently.
Keep an eye out on eBay for a wing, they come up quite often and are about £50.
As for the stripes I don't think you can do much as I removed the originals and tried myself to correct the fading but couldn't and therefore put brand new ones back on.
This is the car when I sold it - a seriously nice car:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

RB Clio 182
That wing is a replacement wing - I know as the only mark on the car was a small mark on top of the original wing when I saw it a couple of months ago and the previous owner therefore changed it recently.
As for the stripes I don't think you can do much as I removed the originals and tried myself to correct the fading but couldn't and therefore put brand new ones back on.
This is the car when I sold it - a seriously nice car:View attachment 1357060View attachment 1357061
Whats that lowered on mate?

2004 Racing Blue 182
This is the car when I sold it - a seriously nice car:View attachment 1357060View attachment 1357061

Cheers @mossyv6. I’ll keep an eye out for one. To be honest, I’ll probably just leave it. The wing is only obvious in certain lighting so not a massive problem.

And you’re right. The car is seriously nice. It’s just little things that caught my attention.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Put the stripes back on!

It’s an option I haven’t ruled out to be honest. I’m not a racing stripe kind of person, and white ones might look weird with the anthracite wheels and bullets, maybe anthracite stripes?!? Hmmm [emoji848]

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It’s an option I haven’t ruled out to be honest. I’m not a racing stripe kind of person, and white ones might look weird with the anthracite wheels and bullets, maybe anthracite stripes?!? Hmmm [emoji848]

And imo would look crap mate

2004 Racing Blue 182
If anyone has a steering column remote they want to sell/offload, feel free to give me a shout [emoji1303]

2004 Racing Blue 182
Quick update...

The stereo surround arrived.

eda7fdc427fbf32e3bee5952e894d610.jpg

And fitted...

bd850b18733127186bec3bae78507618.jpg

Finishes the interior off nicely, makes it a nicer place to be.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Not an update as such, more of a to-do list.

Few of things I need to address at the minute.

1. The heaters only seem to blow warm/hot air regardless of the CC temp displayed. Not sure it this is something I've done when changing the CC panel over or what. I've been reading this thread: https://www.cliosport.net/threads/only-hot-air-out-of-heater.308548/ so will see if i can get to the panel in the footwell to check out if the spindle thing is knackered. hopefully it will be a quick easy fix. Problem is I have a very short fuse with fiddly jobs! So hopefully I can remain calm and not lose my s**t too much 😂 This hasn't bothered me too much recently as it's been cold, but once the weather gets warmer it's going to get old really quickly!

2. The exhaust (Janspeed i think it is) on the car pops when I lift off the throttle. Not sure if this is a 'pop/bang' map, or a characteristic of this exhaust. @mossyv6 @Degsy1967 @Jenesaisqoui Would you guys be able to shed any light on this? Not bothered if it's a characteristic of the exhaust, but if it's down to the map, I will probably have it removed. Heard bad things about 'pop/bang' maps and injectors. Cheers guys.

3. Need to get the weather to sort itself out so I can get the car up in the air and give it a service and a bloody good clean underneath it to get rid of all the winter crap. A full 'detail' to be done also.

4. The alignment is out, hit a pothole quite hard, the roads around here are seriously appalling at the minute, constantly weaving side to side to avoid potholes (craters is a more apt word for some of them!) so I will be booking it in with RSMurray in Leeds to have that put right, not sure if they do tyre fitting too, but if they do I'll be having the UniRoyal RS3's replaced for some decent grippy tyres. Then towards the end of summer, i'll be looking for a cheap set of either Valver Turbines or Willy Wheels as my winter wheels.

5. Will probably get the car on the rollers at RS Tuning in Leeds too, get them to stick a custom map on it.

Love having a list of plans for the car. Gives me something to look forward to :cool: This is the first car that I've bought that I haven't immediately wanted to change anything on it, it's pretty much exactly where I would want a 182 to be, so credit to the previous owners :up:

For now, I have decided to live with the slightly different colour N/S/F wing and the 'ghost' stripes. I know they are there when I look for them, but they aren't noticeable unless they are pointed out really. I'm just gonna enjoy the car as it is and worry about it another time.

NV