ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D11CUP RB182 project thread

2004 Racing Blue 182
I’d given up on cars for a long time since selling my last Valver, I ventured into bikes and had a great time, but eventually I got bored and wanted a car again. I had an EP3 Type R, didn’t really gel with it, so bought a Mk5 Golf GTi and that was a bit too sensible.
What I really wanted was another Valver, but as an everyday car that just wasn’t a feasible idea. Hence I started looking for a 182.

So, as most of you know, I bought D11 CUP from @Degsy1967 on Thursday 1st Feb. The car has previously been owned by @Jenesaisqoui and of course @MossyV6 and is testament to their attention to detail. The car has clearly been cherished and hopefully I can keep that love going throughout my ownership.

I’ve never done one before, but after a suggestions from @MossyV6, I thought I should probably get a project thread up to document my journey with D11CUP, it will help me keep track of when and why I may do/change something on the car.

I honestly haven’t got many plans for the car as it’s pretty much where I like the 182 to be anyway!

Spec list at time of purchase as follows:

2005 Racing Blue with both Cup Packs
Purchased at 95000miles
Belts and dephaser done at 78000miles
BMS shifter
Anthracite Turinis with RainSport 3
ITG Maxogen Carbon Filter
Marc R battery cover
PMS solid top mounts and brace
Rear strut brace
Polybushed dog bone mount
Janspeed exhaust with ktec decat
98ron map
New cup dampers all round with eibach springs
Rebuilt calipers all round
Braided brake lines (front fitted, tears not fitted)
Gearbox oil changed within last 10 months
New coolant bottle
Both track rod ends replaced
Full wheel alignment
New plugs, leads and coil pack
Snappy retrimmed steering wheel
All interior plastics changed to new ones
Genuine RenaultSport mats
Alpine CDE-195BT headunit
Updated speakers front and back
New Fabia splitter
Power steering hoses replaced
New genuine Renault washer blanks finished in RB
Team Heko wind deflectors
All arch liners replaced with new items
Headlight and sidelight bulbs replaced with SilverVision
Luggage net in boot
New RS badge on tailgate
Bullets in anthracite
Clock surround and interior dash trip painted in RB

I think that’s everything!

So my planned jobs at the moment are mainly just tidying a few things up:

Fit the stereo properly, it jumps out of the dash under acceleration! It isn’t clipping into the cage properly. Also want to fit a steering control wire from the unit so they work correctly.

Sort a very irritating squeak on the wipers, may be that they weren’t located properly on a peg under the scuttle panel. Thanks to @Darren S and @STEVE.M for pointing me in this direction [emoji1303]

Give the car a full, wheels off detail.

Have the wheel alignment done again as the car feels like it’s pulling under braking slightly.

Maybe replace the pads if needed.

Change the climate control panel as one of the numbers doesn’t show! The temp reads 6,5,4,3,2,1,0,1,2,3,4,5,6!!!

Change the RS3s in the spring for some stickier tyres.

Purchase some 15’s for winter, possible Mk1 Turbines.

Have the car professionally machine polished as the paintwork is showing up where the white stripes used to be!

A good old servicing, check everything is as it should be.

Other than that I plan on really enjoying the car. Spending time keeping it as mint as I can.

Some pics from previous owners:

287406522469530da2d35a6dcf4f86ff.jpg

244bd568df8ac2f513aec498fd0a3a76.jpg

4bee09190324aacb32a5794535e32a57.jpg

3743cdde68eab76c0a307a37a9c7bfee.jpg

c9ad4c3ea0e42e3ac4af15aedd99eccb.jpg

32628cc86fcfa5e2a7d24aae27d89f6a.jpg

Some pics that I’ve taken on the few drives out I’ve done since owning:

aba2e303c153e6ae7899d695432bb4ce.jpg

6e637b366cc87f2ba590b32933e07372.jpg

33cb3cab9eb24ea654f49cf960a62377.jpg

cdb8c5ae444be0f802b66160a6b9533a.jpg

9fd38d7567de5873b966d05eca86f1d7.jpg

dee48e1d5dcd9b4e83470297a352bf6a.jpg

The car is my daily drive, so the mileage will be going up, it’s by no means going to be a garage queen, mainly because I haven’t got a garage [emoji23], but I bought the car to use, and to enjoy.

So far, I can hand on heart say that it is everything I was hoping for from a 182. It’s like a more modern and faster version of my Valver. It’s brilliant.

I will try and keep this thread updated regularly, and hopefully remember to take photos of anything I do.

If you got this far, thanks for reading!

NV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent - definitely one of the better looked-after cars on here!

Might be worth looking at the state of the underseal if you can get it in the air too. If it's not been redone - 13 years is lot to cope with on the UK salt-based roads. I had mine redone about two years ago when a couple of dots of rust started to appear on the rear floor.

Really do like this car a huge amount, good spec, well looked after and I'll definitely be watching the thread for updates and interesting drive out photos as I recognise a lot of the locations so far!
It is making me want my old one back, but I'm sure that's been made into tin cans as it's been 8 years since I sold it and hasn't had an MOT since a few months after it left me.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Looks great. The only thing I'd change is the number plate so it didn't have the border around it, oh and the flag on the grill.

2004 Racing Blue 182
MINI UPDATE...

Since buying the car, something about the steering wheel bothered me slightly. I couldn’t figure it out until I was looking at someone else’s photos the other day. No RenaultSport sticker!

So, I order a black one from here:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renaultspo...4?itemId=162885014974&fdback=1&epid=518428183

It arrived this morning.

a30f55532c595576f32076ab5ee66a98.jpg

So as per the instructions, I cleaned the area that the sticker was to be applied using some of my visor cleaner from my motorbike helmets.

25f74981865bed44159b1e728dedd234.jpg

Borrowed the Wife’s hairdryer

27e50058faa7e4235ab9d58f55e683f3.jpg

And set to applying the decal.

955a74d5f6a7ef093ee4e8a7011fd915.jpg

Looks pretty good. I may order another one as i think it may be a little high and slightly to the left. But I think it finishes the wheel off nicely.

149f9b9ea6958bf808e4325fdcaa85c6.jpg

More updates to follow soon. [emoji1303]

NV

2004 Racing Blue 182
Looks great. The only thing I'd change is the number plate so it didn't have the border around it, oh and the flag on the grill.

Cheers man.

I wasn’t sure about the flag on the grill at first, but I kind of like it now [emoji4]

Not too fussed about the plates if I’m honest, may replace them if they start looking tatty, but for now, I have other things that require my pennies [emoji23]

AAS'D RB 182
Looks good bud, nice touch. Will have to meet yp when I get mine back on the road, have a little drive and take some pics.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Another mini update:

Not really to the car though.

The new cage for the Alpine stereo has arrived.

Hopefully get this fitted at weekend, but I’m waiting on a climate control unit to be delivered so might as well do all they at the same time.

a3b78a5685c2d513244e8bf1a03af695.jpg

And out with the old:

b4f934aeaae4ddc25c487acea20ea471.jpg

And in with the new:

6489b8de45524c3ebb331103b4f04721.jpg

NV

2004 Racing Blue 182
Loving this one... ! Looks on point with silver willy wheels

Yeah it did. Came with a full set of Turbines too, but obviously, the Willy wheels were the ones i kept on it.

I'l never forget driving that car for the first time, coming from a 1.4 8v Corsa Sri it was a bloody missile!

2004 Racing Blue 182
Another update...

Finally got round to fitting my CS.net seat cover. I work in a warehouse so I tend to get quite mucky over a shift so a seat cover was a no brainer.

It fits quite well, haven’t driven the car with it in yet, but if it keeps the seats in tip top condition, can only be a good thing.

3be84a908d4f1245dbcdf5e831a59732.jpg

NV

Subscribed.

Under the bonnet looks great, really neat and clean:cool: the car looks sweet too, RB is still one of the best Clio colours ever!

The only thing I don't like are the wind deflectors, I never have.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Great looking valvers :) had a couple myself and nearly bought one last year in xeros grey but had a respray which wasn't perfect - shame as it was a low mileage motor in great history.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Subscribed.

The only thing I don't like are the wind deflectors, I never have.

Yeah, I’m still undecided if I’m keeping them to be honest. They make cleaning the windows properly a pain in the arse.

Looking forward to Saturday. Got a full day of detailing planned and if I have chance, a service.

The boss is out all day with the girls on Saturday, so gives me a good opportunity to get the car in the air, get it cleaned under/over and behind the wheels and the wheels themselves.

Oh and a takeaway and some beers for when I’ve finished. [emoji1303]

I shall take photos and update on Saturday night [emoji1303]

2004 Racing Blue 182
So. Great t up nice and early to spend the day detailing the car. Only to find it’s raining [emoji35] it’s supposed to be a nice day today so that’s just typical really!

Popped to the post office to pick up some parcels. A climate control panel with crappy buttons, I’ll take it apart and transfer the screen across to my existing one.

Also received the stereo leads from CarAudioSecurity.com

So if all else fails, I’ll spend today fitting the Alpine unit in properly and reinstalling the steering control.

Pics of progress to follow whichever route I take today.

Gonna have a bacon butty and a brew and see if the weather clears first.

NV

2004 Racing Blue 182
Update:

Bad news and good news!

Bad news is I’ve just received a letter from North Yorkshire Police, I’ve been done for speeding [emoji35]

Good news: I was below the speed for a summons. So points and a fine coming my way I think. Could’ve been worse, and I’m not the type of person to blame others for my own mistakes. I was stuck behind some slow moving traffic who were taking the piss to be honest, but the red mist descended and once the road opened up, I made the overtake quicker than I should’ve done. Mobile van in the lay-by to the right. Fair cop.

Bugger!!!

b60e07477588b757a41c5042f2f95942.jpg

Ah well, onwards and upwards!

Mrs NV isn’t happy though as it’ll put her insurance up as I’m a named driver [emoji23]

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Haha oooops. Should be allowed to speed if overtaking slow moving traffic as it's the safest way to pass.
Hope there weren't any hidden speed cameras in Wales as there were some questionable speeds 😧:unamused:

2004 Racing Blue 182
Update...

Decided that I would take the wheels off the car seeing as the weather decided to behave itself.

They were pretty grubby, as where the arches.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

All four wheels were pretty much the same condition.
The wheels also had a weird ring of something that looked like rust that had bonded to the rims all round the inside!

IMG_0467.jpg

After a lot of cleaning and scrubbing using some of the below products:

IMG_0462.jpg

Bilburys wheel cleaner
Megs APC
Valet Pro citrus tar remover
plenty of brushes and MF cloths
More elbow grease than I wanted to exert!

Each wheel got 2 coats of PoorBoys Wheel Sealant.
They came up pretty damn well after at least an hour and a half on each wheel.

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

The arches came up reasonably well too

IMG_0461.jpg

Had time to give the car a quick snow foam and wash before the daylight abandoned me...

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

I'll hopefully get time to give her a full detail either next weekend or the weekend after.

Now its time for takeaway pizza and a well deserved beer even if i do say so myself!

IMG_0476.jpg

NV

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Awesome job on those turinis. They had a fresh refurb recently?

Strange with that ring of dirt/rust. Are you living far out of Huddersfield? We are wanting to move but most places with garages and driveways are expensive to rent :(

2004 Racing Blue 182
Awesome job on those turinis. They had a fresh refurb recently?

Strange with that ring of dirt/rust. Are you living far out of Huddersfield? We are wanting to move but most places with garages and driveways are expensive to rent :(

In Brighouse mate. Really need a garage. There are some 3 story town house nearby with a garage and utility on the ground floor, go for about £200k.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Looks stunning. But combined 6 hours on the wheels?

Yep, they were really really minging. That ring of scum took a while to shift. I couldn’t get all of it off but I got most of it shifted. That’s what took most of the time.