ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D2X for £600 - should I?

Hey strangers,

I've just seen a D2X for £600 (body + 2 batteries).

Not sure of actuations but the seller (it's a commission sale at a shop) is apparently not the sort of guy to abuse his kit so it should be alright.

Should I?

I would literally need to buy everything else needed as well, at more expense (lenses, flash, CF cards) but the Pro body is looking very pretty... :eek: I can't really afford it and, if I wait a while, the D7000 and D300(s) will come down to a similar sort of price, and even the D700 might finally come down to under a grand, so... ??

Also, can anyone offer experiences on low light shooting, both on tripod (landscapes, urbex) and handheld without flash? (e.g. wedding evenings?)

Cheers!

Last edited:
For a product at work, we used to use D2X and D2Xs bodies. They are cracking cameras, BUT these days the mid range bodies are offering a great alternative, particularly with ISO performance.

Even the minor things like a larger rear screen etc are a real benefit. I would know as I have a D200 and D3. I really hate going back to the D200, the screen is smaller, the viewfinder is smaller etc.

Work out what the best 'modern' camera you can get, and then compare. It's hard to say at the moment as you havent really said 'Should I get a D2X or.......'

275 Trophy
Plenty will moan at this link, but have a read and see what you think.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d2x.htm

Personally, I wouldn't. The D300 is availabile for that sort of money. Not sure of your experience, but that is a pro level camera and may completely baffle a beginner. It is also huge and very heavy. More than likey will have scores or even hundreds of thousands of actuactions as people that bought them tended to be pros. HTH

Thanks for the replies :)

You are right about the D300 being about that price secondhand now, and I've been looking at those for a while. I think the Pro body was just distracting me lol

The Ken Rockwell review was good, cheers :) I know he's a bit marmite but I quite like his writing style.

I think I will have to resist and just save the money I don't have towards a D700. I crave the low light ability so will have to do without the Pro body and just get a (battery) grip! lol