ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damaged Clio - Insurance Advice Needed

Abarth 595 Trufeo

Ok
here goes..

Just got back from shopping to find that a load of tiles have fallen off the roof of next doors house and smashed up my clio.

The roof is badly scratched & dented, the windscreen smashed, the bonnet scratched & dented and the nearside wing scratched.

The neighbour has been in touch with their house insurance company (Direct Line) and they are saying I will have to prove that my neighbours were negilant (sp) before I can make a claim.

I have spoken to my car insurance company (Tesco) & as I am fully comp with protected no-claims I can claim but I will have to pay for the excess for the windscreen £50 & car £500 and may not be able to get it back unless I prove they were negiable (sp), I feel it should not be neccessary for me to pay for the damage as I was not to blame for the tiles landing on my car as it was parked on my property..

Anyone else had similar dealing and/or can offer some advice..

Thanks
H

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1082730437__IMG_0807.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1082730466__IMG_0809.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1082730491__IMG_0814.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1082730516__IMG_0817.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1082730549__IMG_0818.jpg

Oh sh*t ! Sorry to see that ! There is no way you should be paying a penny to get that fixed surely !?!??!!?!? Your neighbours house tiles so surely they are responsible !?!??!?!!

:eek:

I have never had that happen to me but I am sure there must be someone on here who can offer advice.......

Lee

BMW M2C

Thats terrible Helen. I have no idea what to suggest, but your neighbours must be complete w*****s to not offer to pay for the repairs.

If you ask me if the tiles came off their roof. They are responsible.

BMW 335d

sorry to hear that mate. I think if your neighbours had anything about them at all they would help you out. Can you not see where the tiles fell from and take pictures maybe???

320d M Sport

its act of God mate, not covered.

Youll have to claim underneath your own comp policy.

Unless u can PROVE negligance on behalf of ur neighbours - ie that they knew they were loose and did nothing, u cant claim from them.

RS Megane DCi 175

Could you not claim from your neighbours house insurance?
Seems well harsh that you should have to fork out for that.

Gutted, neighbours sound like t**sers:mad:

Lie and tell the insurancecompany you told them on numerous occasions about loose tiles!

If they aint gonna do the decent thing and pay your excess, then f**k em! lie throu your teeth.

Everyone forthemselves at the end of the day.

320d M Sport

thing is its no more their fault than it is yours? they never knew they were going to fly off and hit your car.

Had they known the tiles were loose it proves NEGLIGENCE, then u could recover your losses through them... if not youre gonna struggle and will prob have to pay ur excess.

If they were not so lazy and checked there roof regularly they prob would have noticed.

Sorry officer i didnt know my tyres were under inflated i aint checked em for ages, its not my fault i killed 17 afghanis!!

A flood is an act of God and insueres pay out so thats not true! High gales damage property and get insurance pay out and thats an act of god.

who the hell regularly checks anything like that, but if you dont the results should be down to the owner! If my fence blows down im not gonna charge my neighbours for it, if it blows down and damages any of there goods then i should be the one who pays its my property so my problem.

Id ask your neigbour for the company they use and ring them up yourselves.

Not saying your neignbours might be lying but by claiming on there policy then insurance next year for them will be more expensive.

You should be able to claim though as people claim for damage to there car from roof tiles falling on there own cars.

320d M Sport

yeah, from there Comprehensive policy, theyd still have to pay their XS and will loose 2yrs NCD also.

Bummer huh?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Very sorry to hear about that Helen, their public liability insurance (part of their home policy) should cover it. Best of luck anyway.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

i would go look at the rest of there roof, if it has other tiles missing, and others around the house that have fallen off, then you may have a case...

Not sure about the insurance side of it.. but like someone else said if ur neighbours were half decent they should pay anyways. If my house caused damage to someone elses property i would feel obliged to pay!

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 23 April 2004

who the hell regularly checks anything like that, but if you dont the results should be down to the owner! If my fence blows down im not gonna charge my neighbours for it, if it blows down and damages any of there goods then i should be the one who pays its my property so my problem.
Sorry, don’t get me wrong I wasnt getting narky, I just thought your comment about "if their too lazy to check their roof regularly" was a bit bizarre. :D Plus I dont think it’s a requirement of the building insurance. This is why I would tend to think that your neighbors are only disputing that they should pay the costs because they feel their insurance company should foot the bill. Since that’s why they pay their premiums.

Talk to them as Im sure they will agree thats its their insurance providers responsibility to cover the cost, with both of you badgering them you might get a reault.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

hmmm tough situation there...

think u shud go round their house with a baseball bat and.. lol no, just take some pics of wat happend and if theyv got some more tiles off then take pics of them too. remember, ins companies will do their level best to not pay out, if they dont have to, but as their playing u, try playing them. say that your car ins company said that they HAVE to pay out and the house ins companies might do it. if all else fails tell them politely that u have to pay £500 excess and make them feel sorry for u. if they r more well off than u (and they know it) then they shud pay it to make u happy! if that fails, smash the place in, in the knowledge that YOU tried yor best.

what i want to know is, wat happens if your tiles fall on yor car?

-phil-

320d M Sport

if your own tiles fall on your own car your COMP policy pays out, u pay xs and loose 2 yrs.

Call the Ombudsman and theyll put u straight.

Im 100% sure ur fooked.