ClioSport.net

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damn fyecking 197 bulbs...

Car  Barge
So, whilst I'm saving pennies for my HID kit I thought I'd get rid of the halogen bulbs in my 197 for some Phillips H7 Extreme Xenon bulbs. They came today, awesome, opened the bonnet - fail! I can just about get my hand in the left hand side, but the right is a complete no. :dapprove:

Any one successfully changed their bulbs - if so, how did you do it?... Or am I going to have to get them fitted?*

*Pain in the arse!

Thanks,

The Needy One.
 
Your a girl (correct me if im wrong)
Girls normally have smaller hands than blokes (again, there are exceptions)

If you cant do it, we've got no hope!!

Bumper off & light out?
 
Lights are a nightmare just perservere (SP) LOL as i did mine in the end (not the same car i know) I also got my hand stuck :(
 
I am a girl... :o The left I can just about get my hand in, the right... no hope! Bumper off I'm thinking too :(

It's going in to Renault soon and they'll be taking that off, so I might wait till then and they can do it!
 
I think i got my hand stuck on the right one to and i am a girl so would like to think i have little hands :o
 
They aren't simple to take out either these 197 lights, fail. Might attempt it tomorrow again as I'm off work.
 
You take the bumper off, no joke. Done it many a time on gaz's! Bumper out, unbolt light units!
 
Battery out on the n/s light if im correct... Drivers side = pfttt, Only been under the bonnet once in my 197 but must admit its tighter than a nun's chuff !
 
lol! bolte each side behind the wing liner at the top where it meets the wing, bolts underneath by the undertray, trim clips under the bonnet, PULL!
 
Just don't bother and wait for you K.I.D kit to come!!

LOL. It's going to Renault soon for some warranty repairs, I'll flutter my eye lashes and hopefully they'll put them in for me. They'll be taking the bumper off anyway so they might as well. :D
 
Anyone else think its ridiculous that newer cars are a pin in the arse to change bulbs on??! I mean imagine if both front lights went out and needed changing late at night??? Youd be fucked
 
Anyone else think its ridiculous that newer cars are a pin in the arse to change bulbs on??! I mean imagine if both front lights went out and needed changing late at night??? Youd be f**ked

+1... Big engine..... small space FTL

Defo dont consider it in designing the car i dont think, Must think bulbs last the life of the car pmsl
 
Thing is in France you have to carry spare bulbs in case they blow its law I believe??
Im going to France soon and they can be fucked if they think im going to take my bumper off in the middle of the Alps to change a freaking bulb. French car and common sense?? Damn Cheese eating surrender monkeys! :)
 
Its the same in most new cars though, I tried doing a BMW 318. Took 2 Hours!! IMO Xenons FTW
 
You should see what a mission the Modus is too. Tried to do my dads.. 3 hours later I gave up and he got it done for free at Renault .He's a driving instructor and gets his cars through them so they need to keep him sweet!
 
Did you take the battery cover & fuse box cover off? I know mines isn't a 2.0litre but taken those two covers off i can just about squeeze in...
 
ON the 172/182... the passenger side is fine if you do that zippo... but the drivers side.... NO chance! Brake/fuel rails are right in the way! I imagine in the newer sports are even more compact.
 
Took the battery cover off etc, still no chance I was getting my hand in there. I think it'd get stuck. Bumper off probably. Or give up.
 
I might give it another bash. Just put loads of vasaline on my hand before I try and push it down past the battery. LOL
 
That's why renault charge £100+ to fit a laguna headlamp bulb because they know the owner can't fir it.

The mk3 clio has a funny shaped engine bay due to safety. The bonnet no longer is low down and the bumper takes the impact.

I think as a panle beater we take the stuff behind the light out to fit bulbs air box ect...
 
On the 182, it's the AC pipes that make the drivers side almost impossible. Break your hand with a hammer first, and then you might just be able to squeeze it in.
 
Cheers for the ideas/advice folks.

I'll Vasaline it up and give it another go before I go out this afternoon, or rope in a midget later to assist. Damn Renault.
 
"Of course I'll be able to do it myself, its only bulbs"

I wouldn't say I told you so, because that would be mean and totally against my nature. I definitely didn't mention taking the bumper off :rasp:

Just let Renault do it when they fix your bumper!
 
No!! Pffft. It's going in after an epic rant to Renault UK about it. The car is full of faults they'll cover under warranty, the front bumper wasn't fitted correctly initially so they'll need to take it off anyway. Hmmm.
 
On the 182, it's the AC pipes that make the drivers side almost impossible. Break your hand with a hammer first, and then you might just be able to squeeze it in.

Almost impossible?? Id say it is impossible! Side lights are fine but try changing the main xenons :(

I gave up afetr 20 mins of trying and the mechanic guy here said... "pfftt your being silly you dont need to take the bumper off"

So we went outside and an hour later he said "Yeah ok you'l have to take the bumper off" Then he fucked off inside and left me to do it. Git.
 
Almost impossible?? Id say it is impossible! Side lights are fine but try changing the main xenons :(

I gave up afetr 20 mins of trying and the mechanic guy here said... "pfftt your being silly you dont need to take the bumper off"

So we went outside and an hour later he said "Yeah ok you'l have to take the bumper off" Then he f**ked off inside and left me to do it. Git.

I should have said 182Cup. I don't know the differences but, the Cup is near impossible. Some would say impossible.
 
Friday afternoon car? IIRC that's when they make all Renaults. As for the bulbs I'd bet actual cash monies some of the people in this thread have had their hands all over the glass while trying to fit them lol
 
Tried the Vasaline option. And failed. Guess I'll sweet talk some Renault geezer when it goes in into putting them in whilst they've got the bumper off.

Cheers though peeps.
 
Back
Top