ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

-Dan Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique

Iceberg 172
Hey Guys,

My first post on here, I'm picking up a 1.4 16v dynamique, with only 34k on the clock on saturday as my first car, picture below! Can't wait, especially after seeing everyone else's cars!

A little introduction, I'm at University studying mechanical engineering about to go on placement year to become a design engineer with Vauxhall and really wanna mod this car to look smart, not a replica but smart. Nothing chavy, nothing over the top. More interested in aesthetics, I don't wan't the sound of an induction kit.

Firstly, is there any point? I ask this because when I come to sell it again in 2-3 years will the value depreciate from modding? Or shall I keep everything I mod to replace when It comes to selling? Things like color coding, will this affect the sale price as you can't exactly revert these choices with ease?

Things I'm interested in modding:

- Color coding, bumpers, side strips, handles, mirrors. (Or buy a 172 bumper? Does this look silly without 172 wings and front bumper?)
- New alloys, not sure about these ones.
- K&N panel filter
- Seats to 172 sports seats.

Can anyone please tell me the sort of prices for these mods, and whether its worth it? Also alloy recommendations and prices please offer your opinions!

How do these cars run? Are they a good speed, and is handling nice?

Again, I'm unsure on whether to have it lowered, will this effect the performance, and ultimately sale price? If not, how much does this usually cost including labor, or is it easy enough to do it yourself?

I'd like a little more of a throaty sound but I'll be doing motorway driving, I've searched and searched and searched about the sound of K-TEC stealth exhaust supersport and sport versions. A lot of people are complaining about the drone on the motorway on both versions, is there an alternative? (Yozza stealth? How do these sound?) Videos are more than welcome of your Clio's sound! Also are there any benefits of changing the exhaust system apart from the noise?

Is color coding hard to do yourself or would you advise for a bodyshop to do it? I don't want it to flake.

I think that's all for now! Thanks for having me in the forum, and I hope it isn't too long for you guys to read. Thought I'd make one big thread instead of multiple question threads.

Any opinions, or advise is always welcome!

Ta,

Dan

Smart motor man, deffinately go for colour coding!

You said you didn't want the noise of an induction kit, yet you lost potential mods such as a K&N panel filter, and ktec/yozza exhausts - bit contradictory pal!

Nice colour by the way, personally when I lowered my car it handles so much better! No body roll round corners, moves like a go kart :D

And get rid of them awful alloys! If your on a budget get some 16" 172 alloys.

If money's not an issue (which I'm guessing it is being a uni student like you :)!) then go for some team dynamics or turinis

Iceberg 172
Smart motor man, deffinately go for colour coding!

You said you didn't want the noise of an induction kit, yet you lost potential mods such as a K&N panel filter, and ktec/yozza exhausts - bit contradictory pal!

Nice colour by the way, personally when I lowered my car it handles so much better! No body roll round corners, moves like a go kart :D

Hey Billy, thanks I'm proper excited! I've read the K&N panel filter gives zero noise difference? Also I was a little contradictory, I didn't explain myself properly. I want to have a little more throat/roar on the car without it sounding too loud, I will be driving on the motorway and don't want to get a headache which I've heard the K-TEC stealth supersport and sport version do very well! Lol.

How much are the 16" 172 alloys? will they rub on the arches? is 15" better to get? Money is definitely an issue!

Ta, Dan

TT QS
If your not going to lower it 16" 172 alloys wouldn't rub and they don't cost the earth at all. If you were worried you could get some 5mm spacers to be sure. All your plans sound good and the car looks nice. I'll keep an eye on this

If your not going to lower it 16" 172 alloys wouldn't rub and they don't cost the earth at all. If you were worried you could get some 5mm spacers to be sure. All your plans sound good and the car looks nice. I'll keep an eye on this

Exactly what Alex said.

I've got 16" alloys and lowered with no rub. I picked mine up for £80 mate. They aren't expensive at all :)

Iceberg 172

Wicked thanks, Any other ides you'd do to the car?

Exactly what Alex said.

I've got 16" alloys and lowered with no rub. I picked mine up for £80 mate. They aren't expensive at all :)

What alloys do you have mate? £80 sounds reasonable, and do you need a garage to fit and check them over for allignment?

Ta

Hi mate, welcome to CS! You've done well to find one with low mileage :)

Plans sound good, and in answer to your question about keeping the standard things when you add mods. Yes. I'll be putting mine back to standard when I sell it so I can sell all the mods on here lol. I was just talking about colour coding in another thread, if you prepare it properly then it's not going to flake. Much cheaper to do it yourslf too.

If you want a more sporty noise then go for a cone induction kit. You won't gain any power from it but it sounds nice :)

I'd change those wheels to some other 16's or even 15's, then lower it.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps though :p

Dan.

Iceberg 172
Hi mate, welcome to CS! You've done well to find one with low mileage :)

Plans sound good, and in answer to your question about keeping the standard things when you add mods. Yes. I'll be putting mine back to standard when I sell it so I can sell all the mods on here lol. I was just talking about colour coding in another thread, if you prepare it properly then it's not going to flake. Much cheaper to do it yourslf too.

If you want a more sporty noise then go for a cone induction kit. You won't gain any power from it but it sounds nice :)

I'd change those wheels to some other 16's or even 15's, then lower it.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps though :p

Dan.

Dont apologise for the long post! Mine was longer haha!

Yeah the low mileage was definitely a selling point to me. As in color coding, when it comes to selling, does that have to be reverted? can you link me your thread about color coding please?

I want a sport sound, but does the induction kit ruin the sound or make it sound too loud? what kit would you advise? I don't want to look or sound like an idiot in it.

Can you answer this for me please? "Again, I'm unsure on whether to have it lowered, will this effect the performance, and ultimately sale price? If not, how much does this usually cost including labor, or is it easy enough to do it yourself?"

Thanks bud, excited to get started on it.

Wicked thanks, Any other ides you'd do to the car?

What alloys do you have mate? £80 sounds reasonable, and do you need a garage to fit and check them over for allignment?

Ta

I've got 16" 172 alloys pal. And no charge, you fit then yourself, piece of cake :)

When it comes to lowering there's two options. Get lowering springs, max 40mm drop, or get coilovers, max of around 100mm. Personally if your using it as a daily driving car, I'd go for lowering springs. I drive my car to uni lowered and it's perfect.

Handling becomes alot tighter, it's alot more responsive. And I doubt it effects performance at all to be fair.

Springs range from £40 2nd hand to £100+ brand new. I got my spaxx 40mm springs for £35. Gotta look out for the bargains ;)

When it came to fitting I did them all myself. The rears are a peice of piss. The fronts are another story. Because they're so old (the bolts) they tend to be seized, which requires a garage to do them for you. Be that the case, you shouldn't pay more than £20 per lowering spring to be fitted. So do the tears yourself for free - if you struggle with the fronts - which are hard - go to a garage and fork out ~£40.

To do it yourself you will need a good quality socket set, with deep reach sockets, a car jack, axle stands etc

I have a K&N 57i induction kit. By looking at your car that's exactly the same one youll need. Noise wise it's very minimalistic. It sounds a bit throaty around the 2k-3k rev range in gears 1-3. It's subtle but nice. Cost you £60 brand new, again you can fit yourself in 10 mins.

I then went for a scorpion straight through pipe and zorst which is beautiful. Not loud and irritating like a chav cannon, but a low growl all through the gears. It's purrrrfect ;)

Iceberg 172
I've got 16" 172 alloys pal. And no charge, you fit then yourself, piece of cake :)

When it comes to lowering there's two options. Get lowering springs, max 40mm drop, or get coilovers, max of around 100mm. Personally if your using it as a daily driving car, I'd go for lowering springs. I drive my car to uni lowered and it's perfect.

Handling becomes alot tighter, it's alot more responsive. And I doubt it effects performance at all to be fair.

Springs range from £40 2nd hand to £100+ brand new. I got my spaxx 40mm springs for £35. Gotta look out for the bargains ;)

When it came to fitting I did them all myself. The rears are a peice of piss. The fronts are another story. Because they're so old (the bolts) they tend to be seized, which requires a garage to do them for you. Be that the case, you shouldn't pay more than £20 per lowering spring to be fitted. So do the tears yourself for free - if you struggle with the fronts - which are hard - go to a garage and fork out ~£40.

To do it yourself you will need a good quality socket set, with deep reach sockets, a car jack, axle stands etc

I have a K&N 57i induction kit. By looking at your car that's exactly the same one youll need. Noise wise it's very minimalistic. It sounds a bit throaty around the 2k-3k rev range in gears 1-3. It's subtle but nice. Cost you £60 brand new, again you can fit yourself in 10 mins.

I then went for a scorpion straight through pipe and zorst which is beautiful. Not loud and irritating like a chav cannon, but a low growl all through the gears. It's purrrrfect ;)

Perfect answers, thank you very much! I'll have to become a member and look in the for sale section. I read that 40mm is enough without having to change the dampers.

Could you give me a full run down of the tools I'll need or is it in the guides section of the forums?

Thank you billy! been very helpful so far!

The colour coding, if done properly, might increase the sale price if anything. I'm not saying by much but it definitely looks a lot nicer.

Here's my project thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?613699-Danman-s-Mk2-1-6
If you look from halfway down page 6 - 8 it shows the induction kit, coilovers and colour coded sidestrips.

The induction kit I chose was a K&N 57i. (Same as Billy) It sounds pretty standard when you're cruising along but sets a nice tone when you put your foot down.

As I already said I have fitted coilovers to lower my car. It does effect it's performance in terms of cornering. It takes corners like it's on rails now lol. I'm not sure if it will make any difference to the sale price as it depends which people come to look at it.

Eg - Boy racer, 1st car. Perfect.
Old lady who wants a little run about - not so great.

Cost £70 to fit mine. You can usually find a second hand set of decent coilovers for about £200. If you want something a bit cheaper though, go for springs :)

Perfect answers, thank you very much! I'll have to become a member and look in the for sale section. I read that 40mm is enough without having to change the dampers.

Could you give me a full run down of the tools I'll need or is it in the guides section of the forums?

Thank you billy! been very helpful so far!

Correct, if you want to go lower than 40 m&m then you need updated dampners. But if that's the case you might aswell go with coilovers as they are a whole damper & spring kit.

BECOME A MEMBER! So worth it. Where are you from by the way?

Here you go - best guide for fitting springs -

http://www.simonemino.com/guide/molle172182.pdf

Iceberg 172
The colour coding, if done properly, might increase the sale price if anything. I'm not saying by much but it definitely looks a lot nicer.

Here's my project thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?613699-Danman-s-Mk2-1-6
If you look from halfway down page 6 - 8 it shows the induction kit, coilovers and colour coded sidestrips.

The induction kit I chose was a K&N 57i. (Same as Billy) It sounds pretty standard when you're cruising along but sets a nice tone when you put your foot down.

As I already said I have fitted coilovers to lower my car. It does effect it's performance in terms of cornering. It takes corners like it's on rails now lol. I'm not sure if it will make any difference to the sale price as it depends which people come to look at it.

Eg - Boy racer, 1st car. Perfect.
Old lady who wants a little run about - not so great.

Cost £70 to fit mine. You can usually find a second hand set of decent coilovers for about £200. If you want something a bit cheaper though, go for springs :)

I think induction kit it is then, does it change insurance at all? And do I have to worry about heat soak at all?

Thanks I'll keep an eye on your thread!

Correct, if you want to go lower than 40 m&m then you need updated dampners. But if that's the case you might aswell go with coilovers as they are a whole damper & spring kit.

BECOME A MEMBER! So worth it. Where are you from by the way?

Here you go - best guide for fitting springs -

http://www.simonemino.com/guide/molle172182.pdf

Wicked, I will sign up in a bit! :D

I'm from around oxford normally, but at university in surrey now. How about yourself?

Ah nice. I live near dartford and go to a uni in Medway. So were not too far from each other... Haha

Any modifications such as lower springs, induction kits etc require you to notify/ "declare your modifications". And yes - it does raise insurance unfortunately

Iceberg 172
Ah nice. I live near dartford and go to a uni in Medway. So were not too far from each other... Haha

Any modifications such as lower springs, induction kits etc require you to notify/ "declare your modifications". And yes - it does raise insurance unfortunately

Ahh pretty close then!

How much did it raise your insurance by? :/

Ahh pretty close then!

How much did it raise your insurance by? :/

My first year of insurance was £1400. Being a uni student Zurich/endsleigh offer good rates for students. With my modifications declared it went up to £1700.

But now this year I pay £700 with everything declared, fully comp :)

Iceberg 172
My first year of insurance was £1400. Being a uni student Zurich/endsleigh offer good rates for students. With my modifications declared it went up to £1700.

But now this year I pay £700 with everything declared, fully comp :)

I've been offered 1340 by direct line with alloy wheel non standard mod already, as my first car and being a 1.4 16v I thought it was a good deal. I'll ring endsleigh and find out what they're offering

That is not a bad deal at all to be fair! Everywhere else was quiting 2-3k for me as its my first car and was 19 at the time. But now I'm almost 21, 1 year NCB and fully comp for £700 will loadsa perks :)

Iceberg 172
Did you ring them up or just get an online quote? I've found it to be cheaper ringing people up than what their online quotes say.

Iceberg 172
Wowwwwww, that was endsleigh's quote!

Annual Payment

£901.15

If I put in induction kit and lowered 40mm though, it goes up to 3000+ surely that's not right? :O

Iceberg 172
Told you they were good! Well insurance always differs for different people in different areas etc. just shop around :)

Probably have to call this off for a year while I get 1 year no claims, 2200 was the best I was quoted with just 40mm lowering springs, induction kit and alloys... I'm not willing to pay that when I get an offer from endsleigh annual payment of 773.28! I'm super sad! :(

Iceberg 172
Probably the best option to be honest mate! Don't go the undeclared route - just spells out trouble

Nah I wont, was told by Brentacre to give them a ring back when I'm 21 and they'll give me a reasonable quote. So just gotta wait till july, and see what they say :D