ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DannyR's 3rd Supercharged Clio trying to be Epic Build Thread

SQ5
Well, I've been taking some time to start this thread up, I've had the car for a few months now.

For those of you that don't know, this was my first Supercharged Clio project thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?455505-DJRoberts-DannyR-Ph1-172-Supercharged-Fast-Road-Track-****/page29

A
nd a couple of pictures and videos;

DPP_0003Medium.jpg

2Medium.jpg

I'm the last one in this video

Unfortunately ended like this :(

57457206.jpg

Have got more videos on a mates old phone and watching them has made me get my arse in to gear!

I then had varying amounts of other cars and none gave me the same satisfaction of a 'charged Clio. So when Paul's demo car came up for sale, we spoke and a few weeks later I owned my 2nd Supercharged Clio, but this one had near 330bhp

Home.jpg

616e8ff7.jpg

Anyway, this ended up blowing a gearbox and at the time had no money at all to get the work done, and after having an accident a few months previous, I wasn't in a great way of being able to do anything myself.

So a year has now passed, and during the summer a Friend bought a Ph1 172 from PH and we done a few trackdays in it. He offered me the car and I thought about it but didn't want it, after another couple of trackdays I knew I wanted it.

So, it had had a couple of members as owners on here I believe, and had been confirmed it was a freak of an engine with 184 bhp, proven a couple of times on reliable rollers at SRR. The car was basically where my first was at before it got Supercharged. This was now my 7th Ph1 172!

45a075ac.jpg

1abd800d.jpg

So, I got it home and first changed the wing mirror covers!

The Spec of it was;

ITG Maxogen
YozzaSport Race System
182 Exhaust Manifold
Matched Inlets
Group N Pops & Bangs map

Gaz Coilovers

Ferodo DS2500
Brembo HC Discs

OMP Rollcage
Sparco Bucket Seats
TRS Harnesses

Aluminium Bonnet (wrapped in Carbon Fibre)

I wasn't keen on the CF wrap bonnet, but with it being a rare Aluminium I kind of stuck with it. The GAZ coilovers were also not great for what I wanted, they were good for lows but not track work.

Sitting far too low
ed851e0d.jpg

So I got a second hand set of FK KonigSports from .Kev. on here, have had these on 2 others I've had including the original SC'd one. Excellent Coilovers. Anyway that got the suspension sorted and sitting at a decent height/stance again. I also found some AeroCatches I had had under my bed for 3 years so got these fitted and removed the bonnet mechanism and bits. Also had a battery box ready for another car from before that I hadn't used so chucked that in the back too. Still need to wire my fuse in.

ec96a318.jpg

085e131e.jpg

92549f21.jpg

After this I have been plagued with misfire problems, its been a nightmare, after its fixed and fine, a few days later there is another problem. I think the engine is about to giveway. It did manage to do Snetterton 300 a couple of weeks ago, faultlessly, until the way home when the FPR hose blew/fell off!

After the trackday it had killed my tyres, they were nearly dead anyway so gave them a good send off. Was looking for more for Christmas, so bought a set of black OZ F1's from Beefy on here, fitted them today and this is how it sits.

65e612cf.jpg

So, it still has the misfire problem, shall hopefully sort tomorrow, if not the engines being changed over the Holiday period and the other one will be put on the stand, broken down and rebuilt. I also got my loss of earnings cheque through from my Golf R32 crash yesterday, which was a nice present and allows me to buy the internals for the new build.

New engine build will be a bit of experimentation I think. I'm going to be running, Megane F4RT 225 rods and pistons, to bring the compression down a bit. Will be using some higher spec bearings (any ideas, please share) and some ARP rod and crank bolts.

Its nothing crazy but it allows me to run decent reliable power at around the 260-280 mark which is what I'm looking for. I still believe my first 240bhp one was more fun that 330bhp, mainly because I trusted to give it hassle!

I have a few other plans for it, but wanting to get the engine build done first and then save for a supercharger. This may be a long thread that goes on for a while! I will try to keep it updated as much as possible, even stupid things as the problems could help out other members.

Just one last picture for now as what it may look like one day........

b5dd717d.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone!

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
  340i
The F4R 225/r26 rods are the same as 172 rods, just the pistons that are different iirc.

For the bearings I would go for ACL race bearings..

ARP rod bolts, maybe a head stud kit if your rebuilding the engine?

SQ5
The F4R 225/r26 rods are the same as 172 rods, just the pistons that are different iirc.

For the bearings I would go for ACL race bearings..

ARP rod bolts, maybe a head stud kit if your rebuilding the engine?

I know the rods are the same, but I'll get a second hand set of pistons with rods just making it easier!

I thought it was ACL couldn't remember, and I thought standard head bolts were good for decent power? I'll probably get some head bolts too though, not much more expensive.

The f4r t engine fits in the 172/182 doesn't it , there was a lad selling one in for sale section a few weeks bak , he even had the 6 speed box on it at one point , sold and fitted to a 197 over a weekend ! Would work out cheap if you could find a cheap 225 engine ;)

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
and subscribed as well. think it might have been you i bought my turini's from a while back as well.
this one looks decent, you going for more power this time?

172 phII
Love your enthusiasm, love the way you think - will be keeping an eye on this topic. Threads like these make me think to go any buy another 172...

SQ5
Thanks for all the interest and kind words, I hope I won't fail and will continue to improve this read for some enjoyable, helpful reading!

Will also be looking to sort a gb for Supertech valves in the new year if your interested Danny

Can't be risking valve failure

PM me some details dude :)

ha... once its in your system...

I know, I won't be selling this one at all, no more hassle changing cars, only going to buy new ones!

and subscribed as well. think it might have been you i bought my turini's from a while back as well.
this one looks decent, you going for more power this time?

A little bit more than my first, but trying to keep it reliable. It's still a bit of a minefield, just testing what works well really!

WHAT THE f**k HAPPENED TO THE 1st?

Apart from setting on fire obviously.

The sound deadening behind the manifold caught fire, it dropped onto the manifold and started to burn. Then spent few months rebuilding it from nearly a bare shell. Then it failed twice so I broke for parts, missed it ever since :(

You're mental! :)

I know :)

172 cup

That's not correct, they have different rods and pistons, they're the same lenght but f4Rt rods are thicker. I can't find the picture of them side by side but there is a noticeable difference.

SQ5
That's not correct, they have different rods and pistons, they're the same lenght but f4Rt rods are thicker. I can't find the picture of them side by side but there is a noticeable difference.

Would be interested in this picture. I also believe there are two sets of rods and pistons for the F4RT between later and earlier Megane Sports.

But I've always been led to believe rods are the same.

260% JCW
Looking good mate, keep up the good work.

I like how when the car was on fire you parked it next to some new Peugeots lol.

SQ5
Scotty, I'm not too keen on buying second hand. I sold my first on and it split a seal and threw traction fluid into the inlet. Luckily it was with Paul at the time and was under warranty, and for £500 extra I'll have the peace of mind and it being new!

Kev, it was actually next to a Shell garage, was the only place I could think of that might have an extinguisher!

SQ5
Also, bit of an update. My dipstick holder has broken off again, and getting annoyed at how rough the engine looks on the front, surface rust and oil everywhere.

So, tomorrow I will be stripping it down and getting it out for the engine build. I'm also wanting to use this block and head as its been abused on track and imagine it can do with a rebuild. Also I have an engine which hasn't been abused which I can put in, it needs a belt doing but I'm sure it'll hold out for a little bit (I hope) unless anyone has some timing tools I can have in the next couple of days?

Should hopefully get them swapped by Thursday, got to balance Lewis' ITB's first thing in the morning so will be a late start. Then should get it mounted on the stand on Thursday/Friday and start stripping it down ready for head rebuild and new pistons and rods.

Got my 25mm wheel spacers fitted up today as well which makes it look a lot better, just need the tracking and alignment done, but will get new ball joints and track rod ends all fitted before then, will only be £40 odd quid, but fairly sure I've got a couple new bits in my old garage.

SQ5
Got the engine out today, quickest time for me I think in just over 2 hours.

4b755a3a.jpg

5afe33ac.jpg

c52a0721.jpg

Got the loom and ancillaries off and onto the engine for now. Also checked Cambelt condition which I was worried about and it all looks ok and not as worn as I would of imagined.

It then got a little bit too dark so will put it back in in the morning.

SQ5
So, engine in and running sweet first time. Sounds so much smoother on this engine too.

Old engine was fairly tired. Stripped all the ancillaries and bits off ready for powdercoating and labelled up all the bolts.

28bc1e75.jpg

9c7d72de.jpg

6c57e266.jpg

All the hone marks had gone from the bores, it was a mirror finish! No wonder I was losing oil

7aac66df.jpg

Also the head look like it had some scoring on the inlet cam journals, but it looked like they could be meant to be there. If anyone know what would be great. Also the cams were scored so that means I now need some different cams :)

679e6037.jpg

a49a7335.jpg

Any one have a photo of a normal head with the cam journals showing these marks?

Trafic 140dci
Busy couple of day's mate! Good progress, so is the engine that's now out, fcuked and getting rebuilt the powerful one from Snetterton?

SQ5
It has been, now my neck is killing me though :(

Yea the engine in pieces is the original one in the car. Possibly changing the block and head now though as I have one with hone marks still on and in good condition. And just need to find out about them scores in the cam journals

Trafic 140dci
It has been, now my neck is killing me though :(

Yea the engine in pieces is the original one in the car. Possibly changing the block and head now though as I have one with hone marks still on and in good condition. And just need to find out about them scores in the cam journals
Haha i know the feeling, will be a totally different engine once it's put back together lol i'm sure someone will be along shortly with the answer in the usual Cliosport way ;)

SQ5
Well maybe not the usual CS way lol, maybe an experts opinion would be better!

Will probably get engine stand setup tomorrow, I think the other block on there at the moment is bored to 83mm though :(

172 cup
Could be wrong but those scores on cam journals are probably there to let oil down and round once cams in place

SQ5
Could be wrong but those scores on cam journals are probably there to let oil down and round once cams in place

That's what we're thinking too but the cams were slightly scored too, and they seem to get bigger the further away from the belts side