ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dark blue mk2 172

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Theres one in the car park where I work but I didnt think you could get a blue mk 2 except the Cup? Its a really dark blue and looks so nice, def 172 as well, wide front archs, silver 2.0 16v badges.

Yeah it is a nice deep blue, my mates got one just the same. Not as good as the Cup blue though. They offer the Mk2 in Silver, red, black and blue.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Ah I only thought it was silver, red and black, but that blue is really really nice IMO. Think its convinced me to get the 172 instead of the Cup!

172 anytime! the cup is great, but no ABS!!! not something i would want on a car that fast. Having driven an Elise to my limit i can tell you ABS is a fantastic saftey net.

Yeah I know what ya saying, the climate is superb. Just tap in the temp and sit back. The cup interior is very plain, but having said that would look nice with some race seats in. Wish Renault would hurry up with their tuning bits for the Cup. In the back of this months EVO they said May?..... possibly!!! :confused:

Lee

BMW M2C

Where is this Blue 172? It could be me :)

I liked the colour of the Cup, but wanted all the toys. Sitting in traffic every day for over an hour you need things to keep you amused!!

Lack of ABS was a concern for me. Ive driven an Elise and not having ABS is great providing other road users dont cause you to stomp the pedal!!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Its been every month for the past 6 months... possibly though ant it!

Plus Ive heard the build quality of the Cup is lacking, lots of rattles, but Ive only read about this in Evo and PGTI, but that couldve been the same PR car.

Build quality? lol Renault really could do with a kick up the arse concerning that. My 172 has developed soooooo many rattles and clonks etc its driving me CRAZY. Still its a great little hot hatch, just dont expect solid build. To be fair my car hasnt broken down, but im VERY glad of a 3 yr warranty.

I dont think the cup is any worse than a standard 172? prob hear more of the rattles due to less sound proofing?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

As Im gettin a mk2 172 in the distant future I was hoping all the build quality issues would be ironed out. The build quality on my current Clio (95, mk1 1.4RT) is top quality Id have thought they could have only gone forward! I aint got no rattles, clonks or owt, the only thing thats gone wrong is the light behind the clock! Ive had it 2 1/2 years and covered 40k (80k total) in it, so its not doing bad!

Lee

BMW M2C

Its not as solid as my last car, which was a 2.0 litre Focus, but its a lot better than the 306 GTi-6 I had before that.

Ill be glad when I get the runners replaced on the passenger seat though, the rattle is really getting on my nerves.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Ive read on here so many people with rattling passenger seats, wouldnt it be cheaper for Renault to invest in sorting the problem in production, rather then have to fork out in warrenty repairs afterwards?

Its all our lovely French cars ya know, fun, fast but crap build quality!!! My mums Peugeot 106 has only 20k on the clock on a R reg and it rattles and clonks all the time!!!!!

Lee

BMW M2C

I have to agree about the French car thing, it does seem to often be the case. Im sure very few of us pick out cars on build quality alone. If that was a major concern to me Id never have had the 306 or the Clio. The Focus came with the job. Still, it was good enough to make me consider an ST170 for a while.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

If the ST170 had the power of the RS, IMO itd be a dam fine car! Basically, a fast ST170 without the limited slip diff!

Lee

BMW M2C

I almost placed a deposite down on an RS towards the end of last year. The company I worked for was in a bit of a state at the time so I bottled it. They went under in January and I lost my job. Thank god I didnt do it.

I got the Clio because it does everything I want and was cheap as chips. Now if I loose my job again Ill at least own a car. No more Easyrenta Yaris for me.

Now that would be good, i had a Focus 2.0ltr Zetec for a bit, quick but nothing special, very solid build though. ST170 would be great with the right engine.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I also think the ST170 looks very nice and is very very suitale (cant spell) a lot like the 172, kinda like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Yeah its got the looks, but from my exsperiance you really need to work that engine to get the best from it. Great on a thrash but a real pain on the motorway. Its basically the same engine as in the 2.0ltr zetec, just different cams and a six speed box. Think they did some head work to, bits and pieces to the manifold etc, but have a look at the torque curve. Big hole in the mid range! My 1.4 Zetec Fiesta could wipe the floor with the Focus for 5th gear responce, and not just due to the shorter gearing. To hold 70 on a hill took full throttle in 5th gear in the focus!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I raced an st170, and I won.. but I cant really put down them that much cause I didnt win by much.. pulled away quite a bit in 2nd and then pulled away more slowly through the gears..

but I did hit the limiter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear which would have slowed my accelleration down a bit.

oh through the gears thats what i would expect, but if he was behinde you in say 4th or 5th, you in the same gear at motorway speeds (say 80-90) you would leave him for dust. But round the bends mmmmmm that would be close, they REALLY hang on :devilish: