ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DavidStrawhorn - 1.2 Clio Project

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Hey man first off the clio is looking s**t hot, doing pretty much everything I want to do to mine! (Pretty jealous right now).. But anyway, what's the easiest way to colour code the side door strips? Also the led sidelight are they legal they look awesome!

Thanks man!
Just take them off and do them yourself! They pop off real easy(there's a video on youtube). Rub them down with some 600 then 800 then 1200 grit sandpaper, wash it and dry it then prime with grey primer (I done 2 coats), 4 coats of paint leaving at least an hours between to be safe and 3 coats of lacquer.

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Thanks man!
Just take them off and do them yourself! They pop off real easy(there's a video on youtube). Rub them down with some 600 then 800 then 1200 grit sandpaper, wash it and dry it then prime with grey primer (I done 2 coats), 4 coats of paint leaving at least an hours between to be safe and 3 coats of lacquer.

Awesome thanks! Will do this wen the nicer weather comes for sure! As for front and back I'm wanting a blue and black/anthracite scheme going on could I get away with leaving those black? Would love to get them coded but due to me not having much time off and I don't wanna stretch out money for bump strips when I wanna put that money on springs and wheels?

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Awesome thanks! Will do this wen the nicer weather comes for sure! As for front and back I'm wanting a blue and black/anthracite scheme going on could I get away with leaving those black? Would love to get them coded but due to me not having much time off and I don't wanna stretch out money for bump strips when I wanna put that money on springs and wheels?

I was in the same position money wise. Some people pay well in excess of 100 notes to get them cour coded. I done mine for £25! Even if you mess it up and end up having to take it to a professional, the risk was worth it in my view.
As for the bumper, if your wanting an anthracite/black theme, I would spray them anthracite/black. Left standard they look dull and boring and they'll stick out like a sore thumb when you finish your theme.
Hope this is of some help

Dynamique 1.2 16v
I was in the same position money wise. Some people pay well in excess of 100 notes to get them cour coded. I done mine for £25! Even if you mess it up and end up having to take it to a professional, the risk was worth it in my view.
As for the bumper, if your wanting an anthracite/black theme, I would spray them anthracite/black. Left standard they look dull and boring and they'll stick out like a sore thumb when you finish your theme.
Hope this is of some help

Really £25 is that it jheez may aswell go for it then lol! How would I spray them black still need sanding down primer paint and lacquer?(I know that sounds a stupid questions but I've never painted a vehicle before Lol and this is my first car) cheers do the advice though I see what you mean, could I even get away with cleaning them down and Plastidip'ing them like matte black or is that tacky? Be honest would rather sound an idiot than drive a car that looks poo... ;)

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Really £25 is that it jheez may aswell go for it then lol! How would I spray them black still need sanding down primer paint and lacquer?(I know that sounds a stupid questions but I've never painted a vehicle before Lol and this is my first car) cheers do the advice though I see what you mean, could I even get away with cleaning them down and Plastidip'ing them like matte black or is that tacky? Be honest would rather sound an idiot than drive a car that looks poo... ;)
Tbh mate I would just spray them. Black is really easy. Just prepare the same way I mentioned above but with black, you might only need 2 coats of paint but go 3 to be sure. Always prime and lacquer though!!! Same amount as mentioned above!
Is it gloss black or matte black you're looking for?

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Tbh mate I would just spray them. Black is really easy. Just prepare the same way I mentioned above but with black, you might only need 2 coats of paint but go 3 to be sure. Always prime and lacquer though!!! Same amount as mentioned above!
Is it gloss black or matte black you're looking for?

tbh i may aswell get them coded to the body!:) ill try the side strips first see how I get on!:) then maybe venture towards the front and rear! Well first ever mod for my car fitted today. A stubby Aerial ;) got clear side repeaters coming this week too, going to get someone I know to fit my springs next month too! (Yn) hopefully mine will look as good as yours!!

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Got the 172 seats in finally!!
Just need to ask my local body shop if they'd pull an air line over and remove the two stubborn bolts holding the rear bench in.

Who's going to be the first to tell me I need a sport steering wheel...? :D
a5yge2ed.jpg

Got the 172 seats in finally!!
Just need to ask my local body shop if they'd pull an air line over and remove the two stubborn bolts holding the rear bench in.

Who's going to be the first to tell me I need a sport steering wheel...? :D
a5yge2ed.jpg

Looking good mate. Goes well with your non sport steering wheel. :p

Renault Clio
Hi you got your work cut out for you there, its going to look awesome when you've finished it. Best of luck can't wait to see it finnished;)

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
ty8edugu.jpg

Just trial fitting just now. I'll get the tyres in a few months so they can be stored away until the Scottish car show.

Plans in the next month.
-Coilovers
-remove rear seats
-'stuff' happening to the boot :D
- replica side skirts