ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DC2 K20a Nurburgring 8:04BTG

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Morning guys!

I wanted to share my latest achievement with the CS crew. Long story short, this happened:

11848958_441516089382570_1083321331_n.jpg

Out came the B18c, in went a K20a from a DC5 with FD2 intake, 5.1 final drive, ATS plated 1.5 diff, and a few other tweaks.

This was all done for one reason, I wanted to go sub 8 minutes BTG at the Nurburgring. I picked an awful weekend to test this out, the 'ring was so busy last weekend that my best time wasn't even sub 8:30.

When the time came to go home on Monday morning, I thought I'd have one last crack at it. Off I went, with my driving home tyres on (knackered old RSRs), for one last crack.

I managed an 8:04, which given that I wasn't on decent tyres I was more than happy with. Note the occasional lockup never happened with the R888s on! It was a bit foolish to go out all guns blazing on a tyre I didn't trust so I did have to throttle back a bit. I think there is no doubt that there is a sub 8 minute lap in the old girl though!

Enjoy!

C+C welcome as always.

200_s.gif

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent work, as you said there's certainly a sub 8 mins between you and the car.

On a side note I think car throttle are your number one fanboys these days :)

Swift Sport
Fair play... My mate can't do any better than that in his 400bhp Rotrex K20 DC2 (you may know him). Anything under 9mins is pushing IMO so 8mins is definitely going balls out!

Swift Sport
I found the hardest part of setting a fast lap was getting a clear run... Every time I felt myself progressing nicely I'd either get yellow flags due to an incident or some f*cker would block me from getting past!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
That's just luck of the draw. Do enough laps and you'll get a good one. My only time driving on the ring was in my old Clio DCI (80hp) and according to my video that was 10:06 BTG. Not bad for a standard road car with 80hp I thought!

I think I've got a bit too old to try and pedal round there anywhere near the limit now... :( When I was 20 I lacked any concept of fear behind the wheel, 8 years later all I'd think about is putting my car into a guard rail and getting into debt paying for the repairs!!

Swift Sport
I'm 35 next month and was getting into the sub 9mins in a standard 225, but I kept getting held back by flags and traffic. 9:15 was the best I managed in the end.

Swift Sport
I think it's a case of pushing as hard as you feel safe to. Many people try and set fast laps without any prior experience of track driving and end up trailering the car home with a very expensive bill. It's a long way home with a wrecked car, and it's not worth it for that!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
When I was 20 I lacked any concept of fear behind the wheel, 8 years later all I'd think about is putting my car into a guard rail and getting into debt paying for the repairs!!

One of the reasons I've stopped going :( dying plus repair costs have put me off lol

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Fair. Is it an easy enough conversion then?
Yeah it is very simple now. Engine mounts are all readily available, wiring is just 5 or 6 wires to solder, the rest is done by a conversion harness. Driveshafts are simply EP3 ones with DC2 outer CVs. The conversion has been around quite a while now so all the R+D has been done enough times to make it simple enough for idiots like me :)

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Fair play... My mate can't do any better than that in his 400bhp Rotrex K20 DC2 (you may know him). Anything under 9mins is pushing IMO so 8mins is definitely going balls out!
Yeah I know Dom, speak to him quite often. I was actually discussing with him my intentions of going K20 at Rockingham a few months ago, after him taking me for a few laps in his the decision was quite an easy one :)

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Oh, the weekend was not a cheap one either.

Initially this:
21888338749_4ba66d015a_k.jpg
Integra Bongard by Kurt Blythman, on Flickr

Then on the way home the French police did me out of 750 euros for speeding :(

Swift Sport
Yeah I know Dom, speak to him quite often. I was actually discussing with him my intentions of going K20 at Rockingham a few months ago, after him taking me for a few laps in his the decision was quite an easy one :smile:

Yeah I've known Dom years, that car of his is mental isn't it! I've been to 'Ring with him a couple of times now, but I'm still only 75% sure about the track lol.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Thanks chaps. Yeah as said its a DC5 engine from the later Integra. Good for around 240bhp with the supporting mods.

Nice lap.

What speed were you caught at?

It was 147kmh in a 50 limit. It sounds reckless just saying the speed so I'll go into it a little more. It was in Dunkerque so almost home, on a empty straight single carriage way. I was trying to make sure I'd be on time for the ferry and took a wrong turn, so was in a rush to get back on course.

It's not like it was a civilian area or anything. Personally I imagine the speed limit is there just to make money for the police.

Suzuki Jimny
Oh I think I know the area near Dunkirk. It's all empty and shouldn't really be a 50kmh zone

Thanks chaps. Yeah as said its a DC5 engine from the later Integra. Good for around 240bhp with the supporting mods.

It was 147kmh in a 50 limit. It sounds reckless just saying the speed so I'll go into it a little more. It was in Dunkerque so almost home, on a empty straight single carriage way. I was trying to make sure I'd be on time for the ferry and took a wrong turn, so was in a rush to get back on course.

It's not like it was a civilian area or anything. Personally I imagine the speed limit is there just to make money for the police.
Surprised you could do that speed in Dunkerque area. It was one massive traffic jam in all directions when we came through last month!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Great lap!! f**king loved watching that!

I have also fallen foul of the gendarmes for speeding. 147mph in a 130km/h zone. End result was a big fine, but oddly, yours was heavier on the wallet than mine!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

f**k that's unlucky.
I only got a 90 euro fine for doing 130 in a 70kmh going through Rouen lol. Think I was going faster than that too but they didn't have any evidence so kept quiet!