ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCI - Glow plug / Coil issue **PIC**

Clio 1.5 DCI
Right, I've only had my DCI a few days and its all going very well except first thing in the morning it takes a few extra seconds turning over before it fires. After this its fine all day.

Now, I noticed that the glow plug / coil indicator light doesn't come on either with ignition on or whilst engine is running. However when driving in the dark last night i noticed a very VERY faint "glow" coming from the coil indicator on the dash. It is very dull and can only be seen in the bottom 10% of the indicator (not all of it is lit).

Question is: If the glow plugs are not working should this light come on when engine is running? OR will it simply not light at all?

BMW M135i
It should be staying on if theres a glow plug fault, although it could be a duff led in the clocks. Sounds like it anyway, with the cold starting problem i'd say the glow plugs are shot. Don't think they're too expensive to change (never had an oil burner).

CB600FS
Dead easy to test your glow plugs, remove all 4 leads, then give the top of them 12v with a test light from the + terminal, if its lights up they're okay (complete circuit), if not they've burnt out.

Same to see if your getting 12v to them, earth the test light on the - terminal, then poke the tip in the lead, then switch the ignition on, should light up.

Clio 1.5 DCI
Dead easy to test your glow plugs, remove all 4 leads, then give the top of them 12v with a test light from the + terminal, if its lights up they're okay (complete circuit), if not they've burnt out.

Same to see if your getting 12v to them, earth the test light on the - terminal, then poke the tip in the lead, then switch the ignition on, should light up.

Is that with them in situe? or remove from car?

BMW F31
you do realise that in the morning it takes a little longer for the coils to heat up to fire the engine as its cold!!

if you've just been for a drive, turn off, then leave it a little, then turn it over again, it will be much quicker as the glow plugs and oil etc are already hot.

i remember on my old diesel, that in the morning i would just leave it on pre-ignition for a little bit longer then try and turn it over as its only due to the engine being colder.

Clio 1.5 DCI
I've tried waiting for 30+ seconds but even then it still takes a while to start first thing. After that (when warm).... it fires up instantly. As said above it appears my coil/glow plug light is on (but very faint).