ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat/engine lights

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Afternoon all!
I’m at that age where warning lights bug me. Gone are the days of a decat and a new sterering wheel and just putting up with the lights…

I want to decat my van - the lamda sensors are finished anyway and the sale of the cat will fund a new exhaust system.

so, has anyone successfully fitted a decat and managed to keep the EML off?? Either by mapping them out (don’t laugh, just done this on a Mercedes and I’ve done it before on a 330i) or by fitting a spacer on the lamdas?

I’m all ears. X

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
worth noting that none of my RSTuner tuned cars have had an EML come on, or any fault code stored for having no cat. - theres nothing that specifically mentioned that its been mapped out but i would assume it is, as my old standard one used to come on every few weeks (i just had a bluetooth OBD reader in and turned it off in my app every time it came on)

My van runs standard lambda sensors, decat, and RSTuner map, no EML in 2 years/6k

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Spacers are cheap and work. But obviously rely on the sensors still working.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
90deg spacer works for most of the time. Worth getting it mapped though.

Ill warn you in advance that the drone is ridiculous with one silencer though :LOL:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Really strange but our Clio 182 track car hasn't had a CAT for about 7 years, never thrown a warning light up. i do still have the lambda probes fitted though.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
90deg spacer works for most of the time. Worth getting it mapped though.

Ill warn you in advance that the drone is ridiculous with one silencer though :LOL:
Is this an EFI job to map out or is it not that kind of map and more something diamond can do and turn the second off and tell the computer to stop looking for it?

Think what I’m trying to say is does it need to go in a RR to map it our

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Is this an EFI job to map out or is it not that kind of map and more something diamond can do and turn the second off and tell the computer to stop looking for it?

When I had a decat on my 182, both lambda sensors plugged in i had no eml for months. I think it came on about twice. I just plugged in a cheap obd scanner and and reset it. No more lights. I don't see the need to have it mapped out if you can reset it for yourself. 😊

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

I think you're overthinking this a little mate. Makes zero difference if EML displays or not and its likely it wont show up at all.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I think you're overthinking this a little mate. Makes zero difference if EML displays or not and its likely it wont show up at all.
100% overthinking it mate, you are correct there.
I think it's more a visual thing as many don't like seeing lights on the dash. It certainly doesn't affect the way the car runs if it's showing up or not.
My Soul won't allow it lol
If you don't like lights on the dash then they shouldn't have bought a Renault 😂
That's a very good point :ROFLMAO:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think it's more a visual thing as many don't like seeing lights on the dash. It certainly doesn't affect the way the car runs if it's showing up or not.
Also, I want the EML to light up if there’s an actual issue (other than the lamda readings)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
These are a good style as I've seen some that are just a straight thread. Was wondering if they arent keyed properly theyd end up perpendicular to the decat 😂

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm back again...

The car is back now with the decat and bung fitted. I still have the engine light on. I cracked out the cheap reader and says no codes.
The secondary is in the air (I do need to check this as I never fitted it), is it a case of just running it for a while till it resets itself?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm back again...

The car is back now with the decat and bung fitted. I still have the engine light on. I cracked out the cheap reader and says no codes.
The secondary is in the air (I do need to check this as I never fitted it), is it a case of just running it for a while till it resets itself?
Yeah mine lasted about 1.5 miles before it threw the light back on. 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'm back again...

Was the EML on before?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The engine light was on before as I needed to start the car up without any of the lambda sensors connected or exhaust, just manifold to air.
Ahh. What's your cheap reader? You should see a code with the reader. You can also try disconnecting the battery for an hour then plug it back in. Should reset the ECU

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I think/pretty sure I need 2 x new Lamdas. I’ll get them and try it again after.
They were working fine before removing which is the strange/annoying thing?

Ahh. What's your cheap reader? You should see a code with the reader. You can also try disconnecting the battery for an hour then plug it back in. Should reset the ECU
It's just a cheap £20 Euro Car Parts thing, Getting no codes at all. It probs the reader as it won't let me erase (even though nothing is showing).
That's a good shout, I'll disconnect the battery for an hour and see how that gets on.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just reconnected the battery and the light is still on....? I will try my friends' reader later on and see if that reads anything?