ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat on standard system, YES/NO? Why?

ClioSport PH2
So.....

Car is currently getting a bit spoilt and now in the capable hands of Tom & James at JMS, having its overdue Cam & Aux Belt change including few other bits ;)

Anyways booked into a custom exhaust fabricator on Saturday to have a blow sorted on my car, its blowing from the O-Ring between the Cat and Downpipe so went to renault bought gasket etc and gonna have it fitted on Saturday.

My exhaust fabricator said he would do me a deal on a De-Cat pipe to mate to the standard system, now is this reccomended?

What are the advantages and disadvantages I should expect?

Is it worth it? (standard system)

WIll it be too loud?

Will it kill my MPG?

Now before you all tell me the le/m lights gonna go on and I cant pass an MOT etc etc, I already know this and am prepared, mate Hussain at the local Norf Londan MOT station (Joke) will pass it and I can live with E/M light on.... Ha Ha Ha :D

Any input appreciated,

Thanks Chaps!

Megane RS 250
I would go for a decat only if the cat is broken and I can't afford a sports cat.
With the standard exhaust it shouldn't become too loud. Car should rev more freely above 4-5k and lose a bit of torque low down.
Obviously you will get that old fashion smell of fuel!
I think the engine will sound a bit rough.

ClioSport PH2
Gardus thanks for that mate,

Thats what I was worried about was it sounding rough, I mean considering my cat at th moment is not great...... :clown: I think maybe the de-cat route is the way to go, dont mind the fuel smeall and loss of slight torque and the car really does seem a little strangled at higher RPM so should be good to have the mod!

I Just wouldnt sacrifice the noise I currently enjoy for anything other than an improvement...... Argghh decisions...!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Doesn't make a different really...Minimal noise different and no more power, also the risk of damaging the back boxes.

Mk5 golf gti
get a 182 cat fabricated to your car that will be far better and not silly loud

then get a decent stainless cat back system, it will save you money in the long run when the standard one disintegrates :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yes ^^^

My standard exhaust with decat sounded no different

ClioSport PH2
Wicked guys thanks for input..... Im probs gonna get this done, so will post pics and a video of sound on monday!
cheers