ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decent pads and discs for £250 - £300? for clio 172 cup

Clio 172 cup
Hi all,

I am looking at getting greenstuff pads front and back and either new standard clio 172 cup discs all round or ebc grooved and dotted discs?

The greenstuff pads and ebc discs will cost me £300, would you recommend any other brakes for the same price?

many thanks:)

Clio 172 cup
i just had a quick look on k tech and it costs £189 for 1 pair of brembo hc discs and ferodo pads,cant find the price for the rears

Rear discs are about £110, from Renault

Rear pads, well I wouldn't waste your money on anything special, just go to GSF and buy some standard Mintex ones.

172 Cup SOLD
Standard Rears

Brembo MAX Discs and Pagid Blue pads up front. That'll be around your budget and ultimate stopping.

I doubt you will see the difference in Brembo Max and HC discs either. IMO not worth the extra £50 at all.

I would do what Danny says, buy some Mintex 1144 pads.

M2 Competition
As above, ds2500's and brembo (max or hc's, hc's are more than enough for road)

Get that set-up, and then when you can get some braided lines and bled with dot 4 fluid also.

Will be an immense brake set-up. Rears, standard clio items.

Megane RS 250
I put some red stuffs on the rear, just to try them, braided lines and ferodo 5.1 fluid. Still no trackday but on the road they are perfect and not noisy.

Clio 172 cup
thankyou all for all this great feedback:), i think im goin to order the brembo HC discs and ferodo pads off k tech and get standard discs and pads for the rear.

Where would be the best place to get the standard rear discs and pads for my clio 172 cup? would it be expensive from renault?

GSF are good, but I found Renault to be the best, quite a few other do too if you have a search pal.

182FF
Sorry for hijacking this post but it has alot to do with what i'm stumped with at the moment and seems daft writing another post.

Im just waiting for delivery of some Brembo Max discs for the front and need some new pads to go with them. Ferodo's are too expensive for my type of driving (normal to fast road) so their out. What am i looking at for around 50quid? GSF supply greenstuff's for 40quid but peoples opinion on here is pretty poor of them but for the price i may give them a try. Suggestions?

Thanks for any input

Golf GTD Mk7
GSF mate, you don't need bearing in the rears, so they'll be much cheaper. you could always get some uprated pads for the rear also, but not essential. I'd also suggest braided lines and castrol super dot 4 fluid :)

Sorry for hijacking this post but it has alot to do with what i'm stumped with at the moment and seems daft writing another post.

Im just waiting for delivery of some Brembo Max discs for the front and need some new pads to go with them. Ferodo's are too expensive for my type of driving (normal to fast road) so their out. What am i looking at for around 50quid? GSF supply greenstuff's for 40quid but peoples opinion on here is pretty poor of them but for the price i may give them a try. Suggestions?

Thanks for any input

You spent your money on Max discs but can't afford good pads? You should have done it the other way round son.

M2 Competition

Thanks for any input

You're better with oem front pads than greenstuff. Ive not known anyone thats got them and kept them long.

But as stava has said, for the money standard ren discs and ferodo pads would have been an awesome set-up, and perfect for everyday use also.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I like my greenstuffs, never tried anything else though.

182FF
eBay. Somebody didn't advertise them very well so got them for the starting price. He or she will no doubt be gutted but I'm all smiles.

the Greens you've seen for £40 are likely to be rears, as the fronts are more like £60-70

performance front pads are expensive on these for some reason; i've only tried RedStuffs and didn't like the lack of cold bite, so they went. if you go for performance pads, you really want to be sure they're atleast as immediate as the OE pads from cold

Had GreenStuff pads in previously, they seemed reasonable for a short while but as soon as they start getting hot they start to fade very quickly. The last Cat&Fiddle run I did with them absolutely fucked them. When I removed them to fit my DS2500 the material just fell off the metal backing plate.

182FF
lol, well thats not going to happen every day, normally around £90 aren't they?

Yeah about 90. I'm all smiles but saving most of my excitment until I actually get them.

Henry: that's what I'm starting to think. Just get some OE pads as my standard ones at the moment are good, only replacing due to having to change the discs. GSF good for the standard pads?

182FF
Had GreenStuff pads in previously, they seemed reasonable for a short while but as soon as they start getting hot they start to fade very quickly. The last Cat&Fiddle run I did with them absolutely f**ked them. When I removed them to fit my DS2500 the material just fell off the metal backing plate.

Maybe I'm just being tight and just need to spend the money lol