ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dent man - did I get ripped off?

Just paid a guy £250 to sort a few dents on the LY.

First time using a dent man so not sure if that was reasonable or not. Four panels. He was in and out in just over an hour.

He did a good job and things generally cost in London but that seems a pretty decent wedge for a hour’s work even factoring in his van costs, and time getting to and from?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Cost me £200 a few year back to get a 6inch x 4inch dent out on a lease Golf R i had- took about 2 hrs with heat lamps etc.
6 months later someone went in back of me, and bumper got replaced anyway

Pricey- but you havent been done imo- specially if its a good job

Get a price b4 they start

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
f**k me. I pay £40 a car plus vat. 100+ vat if it’s got a few more than normal.

M2 / Golf GTI
Paid £150 cash for a couple small dents on my Cayman. Doubt that took more than an hour either.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
f**k me. I pay £40 a car plus vat. 100+ vat if it’s got a few more than normal.
Who's that mate, you're not too far from me. The only one around me is a called Grant does dents but he didnt exactly do an amazing job on mine

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
You got turned over there - max really £100 or so.

Dent men wallets. Always overflowing with cash.

I have a feeling this is one of those things that varies depending on which part of the country you live in.

For context, the tyre places near me charge £25 per wheel to fit tyres and powder coaters £312 to refurb 4 18” wheels.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sounds a bit expensive to me. Was it including VAT with a receipt or cash in the back sack?
More importantly. Are happy with the job?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah that’s expensive. Probably saw the car and added danger tax lol.

I paid 60 to go round my car. But then I work in the trade. There was more than a few dents and the previous guy was hopeless.

If good these guys make really good money

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I have used a guy in the south coast a few times at £80 a panel.

When first got a car there were loads including a fist sized one. Great job and worth the money but pricey when have done single dent.

I guess it depends on how busy he is, has to drive to you . Drive back. May not work every hr.

interestingly same chap did a a breakfast and dent meet in a pub car park. £50 a car cash. Probably did 10 cars so £500 cash for a couple of hrs on Sunday morning.

I just watched him work when others went to breakfast. Amazing. He also had some speeded up videos of him taking out some major stuff that I would have thought needed a new panel.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a feeling this is one of those things that varies depending on which part of the country you live in.

For context, the tyre places near me charge £25 per wheel to fit tyres and powder coaters £312 to refurb 4 18” wheels.
Jesus Christ where do you live, Mayfair??

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Should have used my brother.
He has done a few members cars on here and is based in Essex.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
It’s one thing that I regret was losing contact with decent quality body shops, dent men and smart repairers when I left the retail side of the trade. Like Daniel I used to get a ‘per car’ fee unless something was absolutely minging. Seem to remember it being around £50. Best debt guys used to head up from Bristol for me. f**k paying per dent if i can help it. Daniel can we all drop cars down to yours if you round your dent mans price up to make a drink 😂

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Our guy we use charges us £30 per car regardless of how many dents there are.

Private work he charges whatever he feels like.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cash only. Yes, happy with the job but I'm frugal so never like to think I paid over the odds.

It is very expensive then if it was cash in the hand.
I'm the same as you mate. I hate thinking I might have paid more than I could have done. I always read lots of Google reviews before I commit.
The only consolation is that he's done a good job.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It’s not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. And a hell of a lot cheaper and quicker than having it repaired and painted.

If you’re happy with the job and how fast he did it (a bodyshop would take a week to paint various panels, at least) then forget about the money and just enjoy your dent free car.

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
When i had one dent on an otherwise unmarked car i felt unwell until it was sorted.

Even when charging me what he was he said he would go to bmw dealers once a week and do everything on there forecourt for 100 quid.

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
You just think of the typical door one. Bot gets more complicated when its double skinned and can't get behind. Or softens the paint with a he a gun so it dont crack.

A real skill and I guess there are good ones and not so good ones.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I cant help but notice alot that are saying its expensive are in the trade?

I'd be happy with what you paid

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The few dents. Is that per panel or one on each?

If the latter it’s expensive. But as Daniel says it doesn’t matter if your happy. Saves potential paint which on Ly is an ass.

Only money at the end of the day :/

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Just for context.
I had to have a dent removed on my door under Insurance. Because unfortunately it was right on the crash structure in one of the only few places my bro couldn’t get to with his dent tools.

It cost the other guys insurance £1500 just for my door to be done.

So in the grand scheme of things it’s not too bad.

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
I paid £60 for 3dents one on the front door and two on the quarter panel he wanted £70

I've only ever used one once and was charged £40.00.

The savage drilled a hole in the door to access the dent though and then covered with a bung after. This that normal?" 😆

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I've only ever used one once and was charged £40.00.

The savage drilled a hole in the door to access the dent though and then covered with a bung after. This that normal?" 😆
It's not a bodge if it works!