ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser removal (unusual)

Golf GTD Mk7
Hi guys,

I've currently got my spare 182 engine in bit in the shed, but the cams need to come out. Currently the inlet cam and dephaser are still attached to the rocker cover, but seperated from the head.
Any tips on how to remove the pulley? I know usually in situ you need locking tool etc, but i'm not worried about damaging the dephaser. I do however want the rocker/cams to stay in good condition. I've got the outer seal nut thingy off, but it's the 18mm bolt that i'm struggling with (not sure what these are torqued to, but i'd imagine quite a lot :()

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
I used an air gun to get them off, was in the same position as you (had the rocker cover off)

Just nip in to a local garage with it and ask them to loosen them off. No need to hold it in a vice or that.

ITB'd MK1
wrap an old cambelt round it, then twist the belt a few times and use it to hold the pulley still. A trick commonly used for getting the oil pump pulleys off mk1's

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
an impact gun should spin it with enough acceleration that the cams inertia will stop it from spinning long enough to crack the nut/bolt off!!

ITB'd MK1
they should both be very similar tighness. I've seen some that have had the nut on the exhaust side utterly drowned in thread lock though

Black Gold Trophy
The last F4R cambelt I did resulted in a snapped breaker bar trying to loosen the exhaust pulley nut!

HBT 172 Cup
Lol i remember being in the same situation a while back trying to get the ehxuast pulley off. Used an old cam belt in the end but it was CRIMINALLY tight lol!

LY R26 #288
My dephaser was easy to undo but my exhaust pulley was a b**ch even with a breaker bar, mainly because of the movement of the engine. I put a lump of wood between the engine and that back of the bay. This stopped it pushing the engine back when putting pressure on the bar and cracked it off fairly quickly.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
they should both be very similar tighness. I've seen some that have had the nut on the exhaust side utterly drowned in thread lock though

Snap... I hate it when 'they' do that. Jonny, I use a soft jawed vice just to hold the profiles solidly in place whilst you use an air gun or breaker bar... sometimes, when thread lock has been used, its the only way.

Mick

Golf GTD Mk7
Snap... I hate it when 'they' do that. Jonny, I use a soft jawed vice just to hold the profiles solidly in place whilst you use an air gun or breaker bar... sometimes, when thread lock has been used, its the only way.

Mick

That's what I'm thinking mate. Better to be safe. :D