ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser scenario's.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Am I right in thinking that a Dephaser doesn't actually fail as such, but just becomes extremely noisy when they start to suffer?

also, if one is becoming noisy and tired, can it cause issues with oil pressure?
oil light is flickering on/off on a few occasions, aswell as the pressure gauge sitting a little low for my liking, but the oil (going by the dipstick) is sat pretty much perfectly.

can it play buggery with the idle speed aswell, being that it's quite low and a tad lumpy.

just curious if all of these scenarios are down to the need and requirement for a new item to be fitted.

Many.
Don't quote me on this, but it shouldn't affect oil pressure. Idle, noise, lack of performance etc are all normal issues.

How many miles has it done?

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I thought the dephaser sounded like an old tractor when they were on the way out.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It does sound like an old derv when it's knackard but I think you'll find if you have a proper search, both Danny and Fred state they've never actually seen one fail as such.

WRX
I heard the worst one I've ever witnessed the other day, I felt sorry for the guy lol. Everyone was looking at it as he went into Asda.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Mine was noisey for about 2 years before it got replaced. Didnt affect anything.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Belts due in just under 10k.
no idea what is on normally, it's the wifeys.

Manual check of the oil pressure and go from there. I too have never seen a dephaser fully fail. I've had them where I can hear them pull up at the unit driveway about 50yards away!