ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Wet mopping. Eurgh.

02b859495b0455d2e5ef6c46e6674ce4_zps5ab9f0f5.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You can still mop a car, just use a bit of old school G3 and a wool pad and bobs your uncle!

The people that should know better that still refer to it as mopping instead of machine polishing is a little worrying though

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
There are many reasons I stopped following that group. This sort of post plus "look dem driving Whip wid no seetbelts cos safer".

I keep meaning to remove myself from them all. But then one day a corker post comes up which makes me feel better about my day.

These groups are like jeremy Kyle for facebook.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Always good for a laugh though.

You feel like they clog up your news feed then a complete gem comes along.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Any recommendations on a product/products for cleaning up an FMIC?

Got a Forge item to go onto the Megane but it is pretty grubby so want to get it cleaned/polished before i fit it.

This is what it looks like just now:

15988436278_0159a5d659_b.jpg
IMG_1839_zps315cfc66.jpg~original by Jamie_Atkinson, on Flickr
IMG_1840_zps83528e35.jpg~original by Jamie_Atkinson, on Flickr

Also looking for a recommendation on a decent trim restorer as the bottom splitter is faded grey and looks terrible when the rest of the car is clean

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

Got a Forge item to go onto the Megane but it is pretty grubby so want to get it cleaned/polished before i fit it.

15556077733_0a8e2b7688_b.jpg

Also looking for a recommendation on a decent trim restorer as the bottom splitter is faded grey and looks terrible when the rest of the car is clean
Trim restorer Gtechniq C4 for an almost permanent restoration, Autofinesse Revive for a less permanent/temporary restoration. For the FMIC I guess Autosol metal polish to get a good shine, but is it meant to be shiny? Wet & Dry and Autosol will polish it up to a shine I suppose, but not the fins/grills as you couldn't get into them that easily.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
More to clean it up more than anything before i fit it to my car.

Not the biggest fan of Gtechniq stuff their products are too fussy, for me, in application.

Is Nanolex trim rejuvenator any good, seen a few people mention it now.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Trim restored seems to be marginally longer lasting than AF revive, but on splitters you really need to be looking at something more permanent otherwise they'll just get washed off did to their position. Maybe look for someone locally to give you a hand with something like gtechniq C4 or carpro DLUX etc

@-Jamie- I found the Nanolex trim rejuvenator really good. I got a small sample in a waxybox and only used a few ml to do the plastics on my Clio. A full sized bottle would last forever.

Application was really simple and it was actually my girlfriend who applied it to my plastics because the light was fading when I was giving my car a once over ready for goodwood breakfast club. She's never used any trim product before and she applied it perfectly so it must be easy to use. After telling her what to do she ipa'd the plastics and then applied the rejuvenator and lightly buffed off any residue.

My plastics are still looking good four months after applying it so I'd recommend it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Looking for another AIO and pre wax cleanser type product to use under waxes. Very happy with autofinesse tripple and rejuvenate and have re bought them over the past few years. Was using lime prime before that and fancy trying something different, or if nothing is really going to be any better I'll go back to tripple and rejuvenate

Dodo need for speed and lime prime, lite and plus, britemax AIO and blackmax appeal.

Tried a few traditional glazes and not all that taken by them that much but willing to try again if any strong recommendations. Will gone getting a sample of AF ultra shortly.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
i put chem guys blacklight,then their wet look mirror finish under a wax i love glazes seems to give that bit extra wow to the paint,some are better than others though not mentioning names on here

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I really fancy trying NFS. Any reason for it being an AIO Dave? Won't you top anyway?

Britemax Extreme Elements is meant to be very good!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
No particular reason. Any protection they provide isn't really an issue, I just like the feel and application, and finish they give. A good compromise. Tripple cleans well, fills better and is simple and affective to use. I've not really seen it have a dramatic effect on the durability of the wax over, although accept it won't last as long as the perfect base.

I'll probably end up buying both an AIO and pre wax cleanser

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member

15556077733_0a8e2b7688_b.jpg

what about this?

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care...ace-glaze-alubright-aluminium-engine-cleaner/

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Easy one, what's an AIO?

Secondly, trying to layer the car up with fk1000p but wanna keep it clean in between layers! Best snowfoam that won't touch wax at all? Using ag shampoo, planning to just snowfoam, rinse, wash, rinse, dry, fk1000p every few days for a while and layer it up a bit.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Easy one, what's an AIO?

Secondly, trying to layer the car up with fk1000p but wanna keep it clean in between layers! Best snowfoam that won't touch wax at all? Using ag shampoo, planning to just snowfoam, rinse, wash, rinse, dry, fk1000p every few days for a while and layer it up a bit.

AIO is 'All in One' so basically exactly as it states, it's a Polish, Glaze and Wax all in one product.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Easy one, what's an AIO?

Just put 2 layers on, 1 hour apart and then give it a wipe down with a quick detailer after subsequent washes.

Mini JCW
I was lucky enough today to be offered a trial of a few waxes on the bootlid of the Z4 to help me decide which was to go for. It's had Definitive Wax 'Durus', Definitive Wax 'Ostendo' and Zymol 'Glasur' applied - it'll be interesting to see how they work out :).

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Just put 2 layers on, 1 hour apart and then give it a wipe down with a quick detailer after subsequent washes.
Theres a thread on a forum somewhere this bloke did about 20 layers of fk1000p it gave a really cool finish to it. I'm thinking of trying that?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Quote="aucky, post: 10618034, member: 38163"]Just put 2 layers on, 1 hour apart and then give it a wipe down with a quick detailer after subsequent washes.
Theres a thread on a forum somewhere this bloke did about 20 layers of fk1000p it gave a really cool finish to it. I'm thinking of trying that?[/QUOTE]
There's many haters on the principle of layering. Some tests conclude it useless too. I like it though. (Not that I can be bothered to do it nowadays).

If you want to layer I'd do with something a little nicer than FK

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Theres a thread on a forum somewhere this bloke did about 20 layers of fk1000p it gave a really cool finish to it. I'm thinking of trying that?
There's many haters on the principle of layering. Some tests conclude it useless too. I like it though. (Not that I can be bothered to do it nowadays).

If you want to layer I'd do with something a little nicer than FK[/QUOTE]
I like FK tbh, and this car looked pretty cool with the layers. Im gonna try it, I'm no detailer but for something to layer up every so often I don't mind it and it'll keep it protected!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Layering can have a minimal benefit, but use a product that can be. Fk is high solvent iirc, therefore the solvents in the new fresh layer will go some way to partially stripping the old layer. You've also got to consider that the partially stripped base wax will interfere with the bond of the new

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Google the spit shine technique for what will be true layering with solvents in a lot of cases. I like layers if time allows.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Car got some more black hole and sealed over the weekend then it rains. Bit of beadage though!
16077256997_91e29660aa_o.jpg
IMG_20150112_121833 by tomwh1te, on Flickr

Also, mashed a pot hole and bent the front wheel. Hopefully it'll bang out or may treat it to some new wheels. Maybe CH's.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
So, clay mitts.. I have always avoided them due to the marring I have read about on numerous threads but I keep hearing good things. What's the deal?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
So, clay mitts.. I have always avoided them due to the marring I have read about on numerous threads but I keep hearing good things. What's the deal?
My G3 one works really well. I'm far from a detailer but tried it on my black Astra and a white 1 Series BMW and you could see the difference as well as feel it. Then theres the bonus of not dropping it etc. G3 one was around a tenner in Halfrauds IIRC.
Says on the packet to rinse thoroughly after every use, and it doesn't seem to suggest it ever needs replacing. You could really feel the paint difference though and I haven't noticed any marks left by it. I used it with Demon Shine Spray On Shine.